• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Great Tit France (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
I'm wondering whether this recent visitor to our garden in the Alps has come from afar, is there enough in the photos to tell us which country the ring comes from?

Attachments

• Great tit original.jpg
    Great tit original.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Ringed Great Tit France.jpg
    Ringed Great Tit France.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 133
It is not a Lithuanian ring, but from it is worth mentioning that most females and young birds do migrate out from this part of the world, heading south into at least middle Europe. Wouldn't surprise me very much if some of these birds get down to you.
I had a bird in my garden a few winters ago with a Croatian ring - didn't get the full number, but I assume this was an adult bird had wintered as a first year bird in the south, thereafter staying In Lithuania i suubsequent winters.

Thanks Jos, yes, we certainly saw a good number of Blue and Coal Tits migrating south last autumn, Coal Tit numbers in the vicinity have increased this past week, I'm wondering if they're already starting back northwards, though it seems a little early......

I'm wondering whether this recent visitor to our garden in the Alps has come from afar, is there enough in the photos to tell us which country the ring comes from?

A good find Richard!...FWIW I had a Redpoll several Winters ago with a Brussels ring, sent it off to the BTO and it was confirmed as such.

Now I always check the ''feeder'' birds in particular...for ''jewellery.'' :t:

Thanks Phil, unfortunately it hasn't stayed so that was the only decent pic I managed.
Ken, it's only the second ringed bird I've had in 10 years, the other was a Siskin which I never managed to photograph.

Thanks Phil, unfortunately it hasn't stayed so that was the only decent pic I managed.
Ken, it's only the second ringed bird I've had in 10 years, the other was a Siskin which I never managed to photograph.

I've had no ringed birds on the feeders this year, however have had about 6 returns from the BTO over the last few years. All Redpolls bar one Siskin, Brussels apart!...Kent, Suffolk, Yorkshire, North Wales and Norfolk...always been partial to the ''glint of jewelry''. :)

Your photos are good enough to see that this is a Swiss ringed bird.
Phil

That might turn out to be quite frustrating :C

The Sempach-ringed Blue Tit I caught at my feeders took 4 years for me to finally hear that it was ringed at Col du Bretolet. By contrast, a Swedish-ringed Robin took just a couple of days and a Sparrowhawk from Germany with a Hiddensee ring, about 1 week.

That might turn out to be quite frustrating :C

The Sempach-ringed Blue Tit I caught at my feeders took 4 years for me to finally hear that it was ringed at Col du Bretolet.

Just heard today that one of the Great Tits at my feeders here in Lithuania has been caught in Switzerland ...pretty neat movement, 1520 km.

Fits in line with my ideas about Great Tits at my feeders - almost all birds during the winter are adult males, females and young males migrating out. I caught this bird (a female) on 16 March as the annual arrival of females was occurring into Lithuania, they caught it seven months later on 18 October, about a week or so after most females have departed Lithuania.

The Swiss do seem to move a little slowly - they caught the bird in October 2014, only heard today (they also aged it incorrectly, calling it a first-year bird).

Last edited:
Just heard today that one of the Great Tits at my feeders here in Lithuania has been caught in Switzerland ...pretty neat movement, 1520 km.
Maybe your Lithuanian Tits are among the wintering and passage birds that I catch at my feeders in the Montagne Noire near Carcassonne. So far, just the one Blue Tit from Col du Bretolet as I mentioned, but after your Swiss recovery/control ...

The Swiss do seem to move a little slowly - they caught the bird in October 2014, only heard today (they also aged it incorrectly, calling it a first-year bird).
I found my wintering Tits quite difficult to age sometimes. The ground colour of juv primary coverts is often very close to that of adults and my records hold quite a few 2A? (no equivalent to a Euring code but it means 'possible 5') and even +1A in first half of calendar year (Euring code 4 when '5' or '6' should be possible ). So it is conceivable the Swiss ringers, looking for very subtle distinctions, see it when there actually isn't one. I can honestly say I know that feeling

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back