• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some recent new moth appearances (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
A selection of moths appearing over the past few days in my garden light trap in Elton (Hunts, UK) starting with:
Lunar Marbled Brown
Waved Umber
Scalloped Hooktip
The Herald
Muslin Moth

Attachments

• lunar_marbled_brown_apr_04_640.jpg
    lunar_marbled_brown_apr_04_640.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 174
  • waved_umber_apr_04_640.jpg
    waved_umber_apr_04_640.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 169
  • scalloped_hooktip_04_640.jpg
    scalloped_hooktip_04_640.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 159
  • herald_apr_04_640.jpg
    herald_apr_04_640.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 163
  • muslin_apr_04_640.jpg
    muslin_apr_04_640.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 164
And carrying on with:
Shoulder-stripe
The Streamer
Red Twin-spot Carpet
Esperia sulphurella (micro)
and a Bee-fly (first for my garden)

Some of the geometers have been rather uncooperative for photography but some others were OK.

Attachments

• shoulder_stripe_apr_04_640.jpg
    shoulder_stripe_apr_04_640.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 147
  • streamer_apr_04_640.jpg
    streamer_apr_04_640.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 164
  • db_ts_carpet_apr_04_640.jpg
    db_ts_carpet_apr_04_640.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 152
  • esperia_sulphurella_apr_04_640c.jpg
    esperia_sulphurella_apr_04_640c.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 151
  • bee-fly_apr_04_640.jpg
    bee-fly_apr_04_640.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
These photos are fabulous, Brian (love the Bee-fly, have you got Wild Thyme nearby?).
Two moth ticks for me there as well!

Been seeing Bee-flies at various locations locally but none near home. We grow cultivated thyme but I have seen adults Bee-flies feeding on all sorts of nectar sources. Its larvae parasitise the nests of solitary bees. What is the connection with Wild Thyme?

None of these moths are remarkable locally but there aren't that many records of Scalloped Hook-tip and the micro will just be under-recorded.

Might promote the Herald to the gallery at some point. One of my favourites.

brianhstone said:
Guess: The Streamer and the Hook-tip?
Waved Umber and the hooktip.
The connection with Bee-fly/Wild Thyme just stems from the fact that that's all we get them on over here!

Nope can't pick on any of those for having unimaginative names! I get quite a range of Bee mimicing Dipterans here.... and I have a carpet of Thyme.

Great pictures Brian,
Could you let us know what camera/lenses you are using. I can't get anything as good as that with my Kodal digital.
Harry Eales.

All taken with a Nikon Coolpix 995 in manual mode, set to high saturation and macro mode. I mount on a mini-tripod with the subject as close to the lens as I can get and use a remote shutter release. I never use flash. Some of the ones taken this morning had a 2 second exposure as it was so dull. the moths have usually been in the fridge for a while so are mostly quite calm. I bracket the exposures, normally only by plus/minus 2/3 of a stop and then select the best on the computer later.

In camera sharpening is set to normal but I then almost always sharpen a certain amount in Paint Shop Pro _before_ cropping and resizing. The final sized image may then be sharpened, but only a little. Some may look a little oversharpened I think.

One thing I noticed with your Streamer, Brian is how brown it is. Is this a normal colour for your region? All ours are very grey with a hint of some purple along the termen.

Cheers Brian,
I was brought up with a Box Brownie, so most camera technicalities (and prices) are way over my head. My current camera a Kodak DX9330 is fine for habitat pictures but leaves a lot to be desired when trying to photo insects close up.

Harry Eales.

CJW said:
One thing I noticed with your Streamer, Brian is how brown it is. Is this a normal colour for your region? All ours are very grey with a hint of some purple along the termen.

I have nothing to compare it with as it was my first. The colouring was odd compared with the illustration I looked at when checking the ID. I think the purple tinge is still there 'though. This was one of the several moths this morning that were very lively and proved difficult to photograph, which is why the background is less than ideal and the colours not so clear on the moth.

To see what Chris is on about look here:
http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=361

harry eales said:
Cheers Brian,
I was brought up with a Box Brownie, so most camera technicalities (and prices) are way over my head. My current camera a Kodak DX9330 is fine for habitat pictures but leaves a lot to be desired when trying to photo insects close up.

One of the best things about the 995 is the macro performance, and I think others in the Coolpix family are also good. Picked mine up secondhand but there don't seem to be many about at the moment.

A few more that haven't made it onto the gallery:
Red-green Carpet
Blossom Underwing
Early Grey
Early Thorn
Red Chestnut

Attachments

• red_green_carpet_apr_04_640.jpg
    red_green_carpet_apr_04_640.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 156
  • blossom_underwing_mar_04_640a.jpg
    blossom_underwing_mar_04_640a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135
  • early_grey_mar_04_640a.jpg
    early_grey_mar_04_640a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 156
  • early_thorn_mar_640a.jpg
    early_thorn_mar_640a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 147
  • red_chestnut_mar_640a.jpg
    red_chestnut_mar_640a.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 143
Excellent pics Brian - thanks for posting.

Of these I have only seen Red-green Carpet and Early Grey.

Have had a few Brimstone Moths recently, which brightened up the collection.

Excellent :)
All new to me 'cept the Herald and fantastic Bee-fly which remind me of little Disney cartoon flies. Well done for getting one on camera at all! They love the Lavender here.

Jen :)

The Muslin intrigues me as I've only seen it white. The Streamer I get are as Chris descibed. Never seen the hind wings.
Of the pics posted I haven't seen Waved Umber, Scalloped Hooktip and Blossom Underwing. The Waved Umber is a doubtful resident in Ireland and Blossom Underwing is rare with very few Irish records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back