• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distant raptor - northern England. (1 Viewer)

charly streets

Charlie Streets
Hi all,

Anyone got suggestions for this small raptor flying at distance over the West Yorkshire moors (1000 feet +) taken on Oct. 7th 07. Thanks.

Charly.

Attachments

• Raptor sp..jpg
    Raptor sp..jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 400
I also think it looks like a Merlin. The wings look a bit broad for a Hobby and it's not bulky enough to be a Peregrine.

Hi all,
Another vote for Merlin, based on the structure and what can be seen of the head pattern. The 'reddish' colour around the vent may be exaggerated in prominence by the nature of the pics; this bird doesn't seem right for even a juvenile Hobby, which are less obvious structurally than adults.
Regards,
Harry

It looks like Merlin to me too. In the field they always have a noticeably protruding head, due to the relative largeness of the head compared to the body, and which is well seen in these photos. They also have that distinctive wing-shape, seen in the top left-hand picture, perhaps caused by a slightly narrower wing-base and less tapered primaries than other falcons.

Cheers,

..the relative largeness of the head compared to the body, and which is well seen in these photos...

...and gives the cuckoo-like impression in pic 8. TBH, Merlin is the odds-on candidate, even without the photos, for a "small raptor flying over the West Yorkshire moors at >100ft elevation on Oct. 7th" WRT the warm orangey underparts, blur this chap a bit and you'd get the same... http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_th...ockphoto_3258148_merlin_bird_of_prey_male.jpg And so far as the upperpart colour can be seen, it looks better for Merlin than Hobby too.

Graham

Thanks everyone,

The reason I posted the photos (on behalf of a fellow birder) was that there had been a couple of possible Hobby sightings in the area which would be a good bird in these parts. However I'm more than happy to go with the Merlin consensus. Cheers :t:.

Charly.

Hi charly streets

There seem to be two sets of images here - five and then six.

Are you 100% certain that both sets are of the same individual falcon please?

FalconBirder

Hi Falconbirder,

Yes, 100%, the first set was taken as it was flying with the light behind and (presumably after changing course) the second set with the light more on it's back.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back