• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best id app for ipad (Europe) (1 Viewer)

Gashead

What's the preferred id app for ipad (Europe)?

Any other good birding apps for my new shiny ipad? Already got birdtrack.

One thing I have done where apps with voice recordings are not available: install dropbox on both a PC and ipad, and download recordings from XenoCanto to a folder in dropbox using the PC. Thereafter open dropbox on the ipad, and make the sound files available when offline (hit the star symbol).

Downloading the sounds this way to me seems to be easier than using itunes (you may know itunes better than I do).

If you do not know Dropbox, click here: https://db.tt/MEImuLV (full disclosure: if you end up using dropbox after clicking this link, both you and I will get additional free space compared to if you find dropbox independently)

Niels

For ID, I use the North European Birds app by BirdGuides. It doesn't cover the whole continent, of course, but I've found it excellent as far as it goes. Comes with lots of sound files.

Last edited:
I second fugl's 'Birds of Northern Europe' recommendation. I too have found it excellent I have iBirdUK and Waites which are good, but living in France the BofNE app is the one I use most. In addition to the sound files for each entry there is a concise extract of the 'BWP', which although a little out of date in terms of distribution and population data, has a great deal of other interesting information which is still current.

I believe BirdGuides also have a equivalent app for Southern Europe in the pipeline.

I second fugl's 'Birds of Northern Europe' recommendation. I too have found it excellent I have iBirdUK and Waites which are good, but living in France the BofNE app is the one I use most. In addition to the sound files for each entry there is a concise extract of the 'BWP', which although a little out of date in terms of distribution and population data, has a great deal of other interesting information which is still current.

I believe BirdGuides also have a equivalent app for Southern Europe in the pipeline.

Thirded!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back