• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Software update missing in iPad storage iOS 16.4 (3 Viewers)

Bubbs

One for the birding boffins…..

I wonder if anyone has any answers to the following? Since downloading iOS update 16.4 on my iPad Pro, I have a problem in settings. I go to Settings = general = iPad Storage= let the list populate and at the bottom of that list should be Software Update and the option to delete last update. Software Update is missing from the list. There is 75gb of space left and I have tried several reboots all to no avail. I have a smaller iPad that I have not updated recently due to lack of space and the iPad storage list is as it should be.

Has anyone got any idea please how I can get Software Update back into IPad Storage? Cheers.

Last edited:
One for the birding boffins…..

I wonder if anyone has any answers to the following? Since downloading iOS update 16.4 on my iPad Pro, I have a problem in settings. I go to Settings = general = iPad Storage= let the list populate and at the bottom of that list should be Software Update and the option to delete last update. Software Update is missing from the list. There is 75gb of space left and I have tried several reboots all to no avail. I have a smaller iPad that I have not updated recently due to lack of space and the iPad storage list is as it should be.

Has anyone got any idea please how I can get Software Update back into IPad Storage? Cheers.
I can offer you some general troubleshooting steps that might help resolve this issue:

Reset All Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not erase any data on your iPad but will reset all settings to their default values. After the reset, check if the Software Update option appears in the iPad Storage settings.

Check for Updates: Sometimes, the Software Update option may disappear temporarily if there are no updates available. Make sure to check for any pending updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update. If an update is available, install it and check if the Software Update option reappears in the iPad Storage settings afterward.

Force Restart: Try performing a force restart on your iPad Pro. For most iPad models, this can be done by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button (or Volume Down button for iPad Pro models without a Home button) simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Once the restart is complete, check if the Software Update option is back in the iPad Storage settings.

Contact Apple Support: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it would be best to reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance. They have access to the most up-to-date information and can provide personalized troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue if needed.

I can offer you some general troubleshooting steps that might help resolve this issue:

Reset All Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will not erase any data on your iPad but will reset all settings to their default values. After the reset, check if the Software Update option appears in the iPad Storage settings.

Check for Updates: Sometimes, the Software Update option may disappear temporarily if there are no updates available. Make sure to check for any pending updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update. If an update is available, install it and check if the Software Update option reappears in the iPad Storage settings afterward.

Force Restart: Try performing a force restart on your iPad Pro. For most iPad models, this can be done by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button (or Volume Down button for iPad Pro models without a Home button) simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Once the restart is complete, check if the Software Update option is back in the iPad Storage settings.

Contact Apple Support: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it would be best to reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance. They have access to the most up-to-date information and can provide personalized troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue if needed.
Thanks Leroy. I have done everything you suggest apart from Reset All Settings. My iPad Pro still has 74gb of space and is fully updated. I have posted this problem on an Apple forum but received no replies, apart from eight others who have noticed the same. I will reach out to Apple support. Once again many thanks. John 🇬🇧

Last edited:
If you are on 16.4.1 Apple won’t let you downgrade to 16.4, this is because it apparently is an important enough update that they really don’t want people downgrading.

I assume in future versions the feature will return. I cannot say whether previous version files would be in the background still though.

If you are on 16.4.1 Apple won’t let you downgrade to 16.4, this is because it apparently is an important enough update that they really don’t want people downgrading.

I assume in future versions the feature will return. I cannot say whether previous version files would be in the background still though.
Thanks Essex Tern. That makes sense. As I stated earlier, I haven’t updated my smaller pro (which I travel with) simply because some of these updates are quite large and I don’t want to chip away at the 14gb of space left. My large iPad Pro (the iPad in question) has the latest version iPadOS 16.4.1 (a). Let’s one day see if Software Update reappears in iPad Storage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back