• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changing antivirus provider (1 Viewer)

Marmot

In about 3 weeks time my year with Avast [free version] will be up. I have used them for about the past 5 years without trouble, but over the past year I have found that when they are doing some updates they have been stopping me getting access to emails etc and even having to reboot the computer a couple of times to get things back working.

Ian was having the same problems so has changed to AVG [he had nothing in his virus chest] and his computer is running a lot better . My main problem about changing is I have 7 items in my virus chest [which have came up suspected trojans]. Would I be safe if I did the change from one provider to another or would I be at risk when I did this due to these virus chest items.

Hope you understand what I mean as my knowledge of the workings of computers is next to nothing. I will be greatful of any advice.

If they are in the chest they have been isolated.
Download Malwarebytes free from Filehippo ( you don't have to register if you download from here ) and run a scan before your changeover just to make sure!
Which magazine have done a review of security software this month ( March 2014 issue ). Microsoft security essentials come highest rated of the free ones ( 4th position, Score 80% ). AVG comes in at no 15 (53%) and Avast Free at No 10 (72%). Norton 360 comes out best at £60 ( Score 85% )

Last edited:
It is amazing what different sources say about anti-virus. I receive "Computer Active" magazine and they have just produced a list of the best free (and paid for) anti-virus programmes and their results are almost the opposite to the Which magazine results Alan mentions, with Microsoft Security Essentials coming in last place. However, I do not believe any of them. I do have a passing interest in computer protection and IMO malicious software programmes are a greater threat than a virus now. My current set up is Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Free) and Super-Anti-Spyware. MSE is "always on" and does not produce pop-ups or keep asking you to upgrade to a paid for version, M'bytes and S'antispyware both are run by you clicking a "scan now" button. When I upgrade my PC I will install Malwarebytes Pro (appprox £20 for the life of the computer) which gives you "always on protection".

Mawarbytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

MSE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

SAP: http://www.superantispyware.com/

Dave

Yes, it will be safe if you switch to some other security provider. Make sure to use some trusted and stronger protection for your system like Immunet, Kaspersky, AVG, Avira etc. You can choose free or paid edition of the tool as per your choice and requirement. But before switching, do scan your system with existing software i.e Avast and remove the virus enlisted. When this is done uninstall existing security software and install another virus protection tool that is compatible with your system.

Go to your virus chest, and have a look at those suspect items there. If you reckon they're not false positives, then you should be able to delete them from there (possibly by right-clicking on each item and choosing delete). Once you've done that, you should do another full scan of your system to make sure there are no more suspect files. Once that's done, you can uninstall Avast and install whatever other antivirus software you have in mind.

By the way, personally speaking, I think that commercial antivirus software is more robust and provides better support (technical support and community forums .. etc), and sometimes you can get a really good deal, so they're worth the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back