• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

optisan 8x32 open bridge bins. (1 Viewer)

stuart C smith

swansong
i have just picked up a pair of optisan 8x32 oh pro - pc phase-corrected open bridge binoculars, and i have to say that i find them to be very good the image on par with the 8x32 smith and wessons nicely bright and wide, with the same sharpness as the wessons. good in the hand, the open bridge is a novelty, the optisan case is ok, but relies on the binocular strap for carrying. the strap itself is"neoprene"and has slip lock type fasteners which in my experience are not to be trusted, that will have to go! the rainguard is thin and rubbery but ok, and the objective caps are the push in type with slip over retainers, i shall not use those. yep a nice pair of bins.

Interesting. Open bridge are the new "fins" or "flares" ;)

Would you compare these bins ot other bins you've used or owned?

Do you have a pointer to the place carrying these with specs?

Optisan seem to be very stealthy on the Web. Do they have a their own web site describing their products?

I notice that B&H sells about 10 Optisan items in the US.

Are these the same binoculars that resemble the Hawke Frontier ED and Promaster Elite ED ELXs? They look very similar to the new Swaro EL EDs right? I saw them mentioned here but have not really seen a webpage with their full description of features. Do they utilize ED style glass in their design?

Thanks

I see the British phrase (I should know that!) is "open hinge" rather than "open bridge"

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/optisan_open_hinge_binoculars/optisan_binoculars.htm

http://www.birdnet.co.uk/binoculars/optisan.html

The "official name" seems to be Optisan OH or Optisan Open Hinge or Optisan Open Hinge Tech binocular.

I doubt they have ED glass as there is no mention in the ad and price is £170 to £180. Interestingly the range is only £10 between the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

The claimed field for the 8x32 and 8x42 is 129m@1000m or 7.5 degrees but they say the 10x42 has a 140m field ... I don't think so. See below for a correction.

EDIT:

These are the distributors in the UK with more detailed specs

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/viewprod_90_0_0_Optisan.html

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/products_675_90_Optisan-Open-Hinge-8x32-Binocular.html

Comments in bold brackets.

Model OH PRO 8x32

* Magnification 8x
* Objective lens diameter (mm) 32
* Exit pupil (mm) 4
* Eye relief (mm) 17.5
* Field of view (ft/1000yds m/1000m) 420ft/140m [8 degrees]
* Field of view (degree) 7.5 [say what? which is it?]
* Close focusing distance (ft/m) 13.12/4
* Interpupillary distance (mm) 56-78
* Dioptric compensation (dpt)-4/+4
* Prism Bak 4 with phase coating (OH PRO PC)
* Coating ETE-Microlux Fully multi coated
* Focusing system Center focus, Dioptric correction integrated
* Housing Semi-Aro Thermotech 98 Body, Lab dry nitrogen filled
* Eyecup 3-step twist up eyecup
* Watertightness Watertight to depth of 1.2m [JIS 6?]
* Dimensions 121x134x46
* Approx weight (g/oz) 552/19.46
* Tailored water resistant protective case
* Neoprene strap

So what is the FOV? The Sherwood site is wrong. The distributor specs are inconsistent. 8x32 and 8x42 Field of view (ft/1000yds m/1000m) 420ft/140m i.e. 8 degrees but they say 7.4 degrees. The 8x42 is 387ft/129m and 7.4 degrees. And the 10x42 is 387ft/129m or 7.4 degrees. The exit pupil for the 8x42 and 10x42 are both wrong too. So which part of the spec is correct?

One interesting observation: the specs mention "Coating ETE-Microlux". That's the same coating name used by Hawke. From the same OEM maybe?

Last edited:
here are the specs, please note on the binocular it says 8 degrees not 7.5 degrees. i can only say i like them and i often use nikon 8x30e 8x32 se and 10x35e11s but i am happy to carry these. features:

8x32 mm magnification
Phase-corrected
Objective lens diameter: 32mm
Exit Pupil: 4.0mm
Eye Relief: 17.5mm
Field of view: 420ft/140m
Field of View (degree): 7.5
Close focusing distance: 13.12ft/4m
Interpupillary distance: 56-78mm
Dioptric Compensation: -4/+4 dpt
Prism: BaK4 with phase coating
Coating: ETE-Microlux Fully-multi-coated
Focusing system: Center Focus, dioptric correction integrated
Eyecuo: 3-step twist-up eyecup
Watertightness: watertight to depth 1.2m
Dimension: 121x134x46 mm
Weight: 552g/19.46oz
Delivery: Tailored water-resistant protective case; neoprene strap
Colour: olive green/black
User Manual included

Last edited:
I see the British phrase (I should know that!) is "open hinge" rather than "open bridge"

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/optisan_open_hinge_binoculars/optisan_binoculars.htm

http://www.birdnet.co.uk/binoculars/optisan.html

The "official name" seems to be Optisan OH or Optisan Open Hinge or Optisan Open Hinge Tech binocular.

I doubt they have ED glass as there is no mention in the ad and price is £170 to £180. Interestingly the range is only £10 between the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

The claimed field for the 8x32 and 8x42 is 129m@1000m or 7.5 degrees but they say the 10x42 has a 140m field ... I don't think so. See below for a correction.

EDIT:

These are the distributors in the UK with more detailed specs

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/viewprod_90_0_0_Optisan.html

http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/products_675_90_Optisan-Open-Hinge-8x32-Binocular.html

Comments in bold brackets.

Model OH PRO 8x32

* Magnification 8x
* Objective lens diameter (mm) 32
* Exit pupil (mm) 4
* Eye relief (mm) 17.5
* Field of view (ft/1000yds m/1000m) 420ft/140m [8 degrees]
* Field of view (degree) 7.5 [say what? which is it?]
* Close focusing distance (ft/m) 13.12/4
* Interpupillary distance (mm) 56-78
* Dioptric compensation (dpt)-4/+4
* Prism Bak 4 with phase coating (OH PRO PC)
* Coating ETE-Microlux Fully multi coated
* Focusing system Center focus, Dioptric correction integrated
* Housing Semi-Aro Thermotech 98 Body, Lab dry nitrogen filled
* Eyecup 3-step twist up eyecup
* Watertightness Watertight to depth of 1.2m [JIS 6?]
* Dimensions 121x134x46
* Approx weight (g/oz) 552/19.46
* Tailored water resistant protective case
* Neoprene strap

So what is the FOV? The Sherwood site is wrong. The distributor specs are inconsistent. 8x32 and 8x42 Field of view (ft/1000yds m/1000m) 420ft/140m i.e. 8 degrees but they say 7.4 degrees. The 8x42 is 387ft/129m and 7.4 degrees. And the 10x42 is 387ft/129m or 7.4 degrees. The exit pupil for the 8x42 and 10x42 are both wrong too. So which part of the spec is correct?

One interesting observation: the specs mention "Coating ETE-Microlux". That's the same coating name used by Hawke. From the same OEM maybe?

YES, BUT I AM NOT BRITISH, I AM ENGLISH, AND THE ENGLISH PHRASE IS OPEN BRIDGE. ;) REGARDS FROM ACROSS THE POND.

Thanks, Stuart. For those that recognize my little picture might also realize I'm a Scouser (not English, not British ;) ) in the US.

I'm a little surprised that for a "new" concept we already have a divergence in nomenclature.

On Optisan. I did a bit more research (thanks for the hint!). They are a Taiwanese company (so I presume they're using PRC OEMs) but seem to have no visible presense on the web even in Taiwan. However I got a phone number for Optisan and that's shared by another company.

FORTUNEBILLION INTERNATIONAL ENTERPRISE (GROUP) LTD.
ROOM 4B06, NO. 5, HSIN YI ROAD, SEC. 5, TAIPEI, TAIWAN, R. O. C..
Phone: 886-2-87894988

FORTUNE BILLION. Think big. I do like that name!

So they're clearly an OEM rebadging/branding company. The interesting part would be figuring out who the OEM in China is.

And as bad a name as Optisan is it's also used by a network storage company.

YES, BUT I AM NOT BRITISH, I AM ENGLISH
Now you have me totally confused, Stuart. Every few months we go through the whole "Is Ireland in Britain or not?" chestnut, re. listing. Now, we´ve established that the Irish (southern) aren´t British, but are the English now seceding from Britain? Dammit, man, there´ll be nobody left!;)

here are the specs, please note on the binocular it says 8 degrees not 7.5 degrees. i can only say i like them and i often use nikon 8x30e 8x32 se and 10x35e11s but i am happy to carry these.

Thanks for clarifying that FOV.

So they're nice comparison bins you have.

Care to say a bit more about how these compare to the S&W and Nikon porros (sharpness of centerfield, sharpness at the edge, DOF, stray light, etc).

the binocular strap for carrying. the strap itself is"neoprene"and has slip lock type fasteners which in my experience are not to be trusted.

Not trusted to let the bin slip off the end? I fix that by typing a knot in the end of strap so it won't pull through the slip lock fastener (especially when I wear them long over-the-shoulder).

Of course the Knot does get pissed off at this and pecks a bit when you lift the bins to your eyes (sorry, lame birder humour ;) )

Last edited:
Now you have me totally confused, Stuart. Every few months we go through the whole "Is Ireland in Britain or not?" chestnut, re. listing. Now, we´ve established that the Irish (southern) aren´t British, but are the English now seceding from Britain? Dammit, man, there´ll be nobody left!;)

hi sancho, i am looking for a new offshore island, mmmm ireland looks suitable. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back