• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff 5 82mm. (1 Viewer)

Boro Birder

Hi guys, just a bit of advice from the top optic guys out there.
Uttings have this on sale at the moment for just £299.00, including s.o.c and a 20x60 eps.
Has anybody had any experience with this scope, if so what are the pros and cons, can i get a better eps, if so what would you recommend. Sounds a excellent bargain and I'm on the verge of upgrading my scope (Acuter TS80) and i personally cannot find a better 80mm for that price but i know very little about optics so i would be very grateful for any tips/advice.

Thanks in advance

Damian

I sold my Swaro a while back and am need of a scope. I am not going to get another Alpha for the amount of time I spend with scope is not relative to the cost....(Unlike my bino's)...

But I have a good friend in Ecuador who has this scope and we use it all the time when birding the fields and jungle edges. I have to say I am impressed with it and while using it, I would often tell myself how this Nikon Prostaff 5, while 'a ton' cheaper than the Swaro wasn't really all that bad.

Now, I do realize too that if you are digiscoping, you need the best glass (HD)you can get and this Nikon would give you images but not ones to be overly proud of. But images none the less you can use and post to the web all right.

Frankly I am looking at either the Nikon Pro Staff, the Opticron 80mm or possibly the Meopta S2 80mm...with the latter being HD glass, but close to $1800 ....The ProStaff is an absolute bargain for the casual need and that is what I might find myself in need of, jim

I sold my Swaro a while back and am need of a scope. I am not going to get another Alpha for the amount of time I spend with scope is not relative to the cost....(Unlike my bino's)...

But I have a good friend in Ecuador who has this scope and we use it all the time when birding the fields and jungle edges. I have to say I am impressed with it and while using it, I would often tell myself how this Nikon Prostaff 5, while 'a ton' cheaper than the Swaro wasn't really all that bad.

Now, I do realize too that if you are digiscoping, you need the best glass (HD)you can get and this Nikon would give you images but not ones to be overly proud of. But images none the less you can use and post to the web all right.

Frankly I am looking at either the Nikon Pro Staff, the Opticron 80mm or possibly the Meopta S2 80mm...with the latter being HD glass, but close to $1800 ....The ProStaff is an absolute bargain for the casual need and that is what I might find myself in need of, jim

Thanks for that, from what I've been told by fellow birders is it's a cracking scope for that price, I won't however be using it for digi-scoping has I will just stick to using my DSLR, which isn't often, again thanks for the replys.

Damian.

30-40

How good is this scope perfomance at 30x-40x?

From what I saw, it is really good between 20-30x.... from 30-40 with light, it appeared to give a solid view of the birds....up in the higher ranges it was dimmer but that is to be expected with a low priced scope. I have to admit, I was impressed overall as I felt the focus was sharp, subjects were easy to get into focus, overall lightness of scope. As I said, even though I didn't compare them 'side by side'....but I certainly did not come away with the impression that my Swaro was any better.... jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back