• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM4 ED Travelscopes 50 & 60 v. Nikon ED Fieldscopes 50 & 60 (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know how the Opticron ED50 MM3 and ED50 MM4 compare for image quality (using same eyepiece)? Is there any difference? I have an MM3 ED50 and am wondering whether to upgrade to MM4 ED50.

I have an HDFT zoom on my MM3. Wondering also if worth upgrading to an SDLv2 or SDLv3?

I believe there is no noticeable difference in optical quality between the MM3 ED and MM4 ED. The main difference is that the MM4 is nitrogen purged. Upgrading the eyepiece may or may not make a small difference; some people much prefer the SDL, but others notice no improvement compared to the HDF. The SDL probably makes more sense on an MM4, in order to have a fully waterproof setup.

I believe there is no noticeable difference in optical quality between the MM3 ED and MM4 ED. The main difference is that the MM4 is nitrogen purged. Upgrading the eyepiece may or may not make a small difference; some people much prefer the SDL, but others notice no improvement compared to the HDF. The SDL probably makes more sense on an MM4, in order to have a fully waterproof setup.
the MM3 is nitrogen purged, https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/fieldscopes/mm3-travelscopes/mm3-50-ga-ed-travelscope

Oh, sorry; I stand corrected. There was a thread a few years ago comparing the MM3 ED & MM4, in which the MM3’s lack of nitrogen purging was discussed, so I’ve always believed that to be the case:
Opticron mm4 vs mm3?
Having looked through that thread again I see that the MM4 does have tweaked coatings and offers slightly better contrast, but the consensus seems to be that these changes are barely noticeable.

I haven't posted on this forum for many yeaars, but I am getting back into birding. I have an old Pentax PF-65 ED scope which I like a lot, but recently bought a Hawke Endurance ED 13-39x50 scope as a smaller alternative.

Comparing them to the Hawke, I'm wondering if I would get any benefit from one of these Opticron 50 or 60mm ED scopes, especially the 50 (I'm kind of assuming that the 60 would be fairly close to my old Pentax in size, so there's not much point).

Since both the Hawke and the Opticron seem to be mid-range scopes (price and IQ), would the Opticron be better? I have a pair of Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32 binocs and really like them, so I'm wondering if their scopes are better than the competition for this price-point.

I wear glasses and the Hawke is just kind of mediocre regarding eye-relief (oddly, it is very good at the lower and the HIGHEST magnifications; but only fair in the middle).

Any help is appreciated.

Well, I couldn't resist the urge and just ordered an Opticron MM4 60 GA ED/45 15-45x60 with the HDFT eyepiece. I decided that it might be a fair amount smaller and especially lighter than my old Pentax. So, I may be able to review it vs the Hawke - i.e. answer my own question. :)

Well, I am back with my review of the Opticron MM4 60 GA ED/45 15-45x60 with HDFT eyepiece vs a Hawke Endurance ED 13-39x50. This is all my opinion (obviously). Your results may vary.

The Opticron is definitely worth the extra cost over the Hawke. It's kind of no-contest, really. The Opticron has essentially no downsides that I can see. It stays bright and sharp throughout its zoom range, and also maintains the good eye-relief. It is somewhat like the Hawke in that the eye-relief seems to improve at the very highest zoom, which is kind of odd, I think, but regardless, even at the mid-range zoom level of the Opticron (22-35) it is very good.

So, I am super-pleased with the Opticron. It seems to hit a very sweet spot where it is fairly light-weight (10oz less than my Pentax Pf-65 plus Vixen Lanthanum LV 8-24 eyepiece), with just about as good a view. I have never been disappointed with any Opticron equipment and this is another example.

I've had a chance to try the Opticron scope more. It appears to be better than my old Pentax PF-65 with the Viken eyepiece. The eye-relief is better on the Opticron throughout the zoom range, and it appears to be equally bright and somewhat sharper too. Of course, my Pentax is about 15 years old and they certainly have improved optics in recent yeaars, I think. I am VERY pleased to find that the Opticron is actually somewhat better (and 10oz lighter too); I was just hoping it would be lighter and smaller and maybe almost as good. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back