• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF500 f4.5L vs EF300 f2.8L & 2x ? (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder said:
I couldn't find it either, Graham.

Sorry, I thought he mentioned it on his site. As far as I know, he pretty much only uses the 300/2.8 with convertors for telephoto work. He posts regularly on some of the Nature Photography forums and in the past couple of years I have not seen him use anything else...so you will have to take my word on it ;)

Hi Malcom

Just joined this forum, so a little late on this thread. Like you, I have the 5D and a 300mm F2.8L IS lens. A stunning lens and the IQ seems just as good with a 1.4x canon converter. I used (borrowed) a Mk 1 2x converter and found the images soft and also the autofocus kept hunting. Nonetheless, I went ahead and bought a MkII 2x converter. So far, I have been reasonably impressed. Obviously the loss of 2 stops is significant, the autofocus is a little slower and my success rate is less.

I am also looking at buying a 500mm F4. from my research, when coupled with a 1.4x extender, it is about the best combination for bird photography you can buy.

Adrian

Here's a 300/2.8 + stacked 1.4x + 2x (both EFII). Hefty crop and could do better but it does show that it's viable in times of desparation.
exif just recognises the 2x and ignore the extra f-stop of the 1.4x. AF on the 1d camera doesn't really like 2 tc's, it'll get there in the end but you're probably best off in manual.
cheers.
Andy

Attachments

• stackedsparrow.jpg
    stackedsparrow.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 243
FWIW to any one I've attached a couple of images, its of a Pearl-spotted Owlet, taken with a 300 mm f2.8 lens and a 2 x extender, mounted on a fully extended monopod, the bird was perched at the top of a tall tree.

The first image is 100% of the frame, the second I've just taken out a crop, to illustrate the capabilities of this lens extender combination. Obviously the extender will degrade the image a touch, but you can still get good prints.

Regards
Dave

Attachments

• Adshead_070117_7278-copy.jpg
    Adshead_070117_7278-copy.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Adshead_070117_7278_D1.jpg
    Adshead_070117_7278_D1.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 223
I notice that Canon outlet have a 300 f2.8 starting at £909, 5 day auction... thought other might like to know. Just wish I could afford to bid on it...

postcardcv said:
I notice that Canon outlet have a 300 f2.8 starting at £909, 5 day auction... thought other might like to know. Just wish I could afford to bid on it...

Please, don't spread such infos ... |=(|

I heard some rumours that the 300 2.8 for some reason works better with a 2x TC than a 1.4 TC ... is this true or just someone kidding?

Thanks
Max

Keith Reeder said:
It was already up to £1550 by lunchtime today with 4 days to go, Max - I expect it will end up as less than a bargain.

It's just that I suffer a lot knowing there's another lens around I might need/want/desire ... leave me alone, I want to be deaf and analphabet :gn:

Just to echo Andy's post above -the 300mm IS f2.8 will yield surprisingly good images with stacked 1.4x & 2x convertors (as will the 500mm IS f4). The 1D mkII will 'record' this as a 600mm focal length but will appropriately meter (but 3 stops light loss> min. of f8 ). In bright contrasty conditions centre AF works quite well after an initial short-lived oscillation though such a rig would be better beanbag/tripod mounted.

I suspect that this setup might also AF on a 30D & if so it would give the ideal 'lightweight' foreign travelling combo of 1.6x 600mm ( x19.2) on a 30D with the facility to stack for distant targets 1.4x 2x 300mm &1.6 crop (x26.88).

gmax said:
Please, don't spread such infos ... |=(|

I heard some rumours that the 300 2.8 for some reason works better with a 2x TC than a 1.4 TC ... is this true or just someone kidding?

Thanks
Max

I can't believe it's true, simply based on what happens to the MTF curve for a lens.
I can understand that under some circumstances, somebody might get better results for some shots, and this might lead them to make some assumptions based on too few observations. In my own case, I have occasionally got good results from my EF300 f2.8L and the Canon 2x extender. They're not better than what I regularly get with my 1.4x, but they're so good that it would appear that the extender is not normally the limiting factor. So, I need to improve my technique!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back