• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1DMK3 Problem's (1 Viewer)

Nice shots Graham!
I'm expecting delivery on Tuesday and am anxious to get out into the field to give it a go. There has been much discussion on digital photography review and it appears that custom functions may be part of the AF "issues" encountered by users to date - I guess familiarisation/experimentation with them may assist with the percentage of keepers taken. Here is a link to one of the suggested custom functions configuration for wildlife photography -

http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/Technique/1DIII_Guide/1diii_guide.html

Obviously I can't comment as I have not got mine yet! It would be interesting to hear from other users if they have attempted any function setting changes and establish if this has resolved any issues encountered...

That was a really useful link. Now if it will just stop raining for a while I can go and test the recommended settings!

Barry Boswell

Hi Andy,
I just wondered if you could tell me which of the Custom Function settings you have been using to get an improvement over the default settings.

Barry Boswell
Hi Barry,
Mainly defaut settings except for tracking sensitivity set to fast for bif's in the clear, but set to one above slow for messy bg's. Focus point expansion is set to surrounding assist. I have not tried the auto 45point AF.

In fairness, most of my bif shots are lateral panning type (or such that the distance between myself and the subject isn't decreasing at an extreme speed).

Chances at the moment for birds flying directly towards me at speed are non-existant :( Then again, shots like that are never that common, and only rarely are they aeshetically pleasing imho....so if there is a problem, I probably wouldn't find out about it (or worry much about it), as opposed to sports shooters, where it's vital.

The example below is travelling at speed, although not directly at me (part of a 6 frame sequence, all 100%)...

Attachments

• parafly.jpg
    parafly.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 211
I've been following this thread from a position of detatched amusement. I'm just astonished that you lot can all afford one.

I've been following this thread from a position of detatched amusement. I'm just astonished that you lot can all afford one.

That was going to be one of my questions! how do most people
buy these pro bodies and pro Lenses, I imagine alot is on the
tick!! I know it would be the only way i could so I am going
to wait and see if these probs with the D1 mk 3 get ironed out

well it's cheaper than my f4is L :)
the way i look at it is this - we dont get a lot of chance here in the UK birds are shy the weather is crap most of the time to and if im going to put lot's of time into trying to get really nice shot's i want ALL the help gear can give me so will make a bit more effort to get the best ,i make my self aford it .
Rob.

well it's cheaper than my f4is L :)
the way i look at it is this - we dont get a lot of chance here in the UK birds are shy the weather is crap most of the time to and if im going to put lot's of time into trying to get really nice shot's i want ALL the help gear can give me so will make a bit more effort to get the best ,i make my self aford it .
Rob.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Has anyone got any useful updates on these problems with the Mk III? I am on the verge of sending mine back.

Barry Boswell

how do most people buy these pro bodies and pro Lenses

By going without other stuff that is less important. If you would rather put that extension on the garage or take that luxury five star holiday to the Canary Islands or buy that new car, fine. Me, I'll walk before I do without my lenses!

Andrew,

A lot of people have invested large amounts of money in lenses and other Canon equipment, so they are caught with a brand. Canon has done a really good marketing job with this camera, almost like the frenzy pre-Christmas toy demand. They will shift shed-loads on pre-order at a very high retail cost, I would say over-priced.

The sensible thing to do was to wait until the camera was out for some months before purchasing. It’s a bit like software firms launching their products into the market place hoping for feedback on problems from the consumer.

Canon has done a really good marketing job with this camera, almost like the frenzy pre-Christmas toy demand. They will shift shed-loads on pre-order at a very high retail cost, I would say over-priced.

:t:

Canon have been to the Steve Job's school of marketing, made it global and it worked ;)

iPhone anyone?

By going without other stuff that is less important. If you would rather put that extension on the garage or take that luxury five star holiday to the Canary Islands or buy that new car, fine. Me, I'll walk before I do without my lenses!

Don't forget you can sell the wife too, if you need a car...or, having thought about it, a 300/2.8 and 16-35/2.8...

Mark,

Don't get me on Apple, for what I paid for my first Mac, I could now buy the EOS-1Ds Mark I, plus a 300mm, F2.8 IS and a holiday in Spain, (I think I would still choose Nikon though).

Seriously, I hope Canon are not going to start playing this game, where they pre-launch through leaked reports and reviews and hike the product value cost up.

Last edited:
Andrew,

A lot of people have invested large amounts of money in lenses and other Canon equipment, so they are caught with a brand. Canon has done a really good marketing job with this camera, almost like the frenzy pre-Christmas toy demand. They will shift shed-loads on pre-order at a very high retail cost, I would say over-priced.

The sensible thing to do was to wait until the camera was out for some months before purchasing. It’s a bit like software firms launching their products into the market place hoping for feedback on problems from the consumer.

Thanks for that good advice, I was planning to wait and it will give me more
time to save!!!, Plus any more probs should be ironed out by then.:t:

I had my heart set on a MarkIII to upgrade from a 20D,but have chosen to buy a 1D MarkIIn.
Bought on the net from B&H in New York they asked why I wasnt buying a MarkIII to which I replied that as there were a few disgruntled messages here an there on the net, I decided to go with what the big boys use and that it had a good track record.
B&H told me that was a good idea,as the Mark IIn is vitually flawless,good track record and that theyve received complaints from 'virtually' all the purchasers of the new Mark III.
I couldnt find anyone in the UK selling brand new Mark IIn's and as I bought my 500mm f4.0 from B&H I looked on their site,and they had em in stock.With the exchange rate so good the camera cost me 1600 quid and then 310 in duties.So I saved 1100 quid for a camera 'just as quick' but with a few less pixels.Im sure the MarkIII will come good.I just decided to save some money an put it down on a complete winner.

I had my heart set on a MarkIII to upgrade from a 20D,but have chosen to buy a 1D MarkIIn.
Bought on the net from B&H in New York they asked why I wasnt buying a MarkIII to which I replied that as there were a few disgruntled messages here an there on the net, I decided to go with what the big boys use and that it had a good track record.
B&H told me that was a good idea,as the Mark IIn is vitually flawless,good track record and that theyve received complaints from 'virtually' all the purchasers of the new Mark III.
I couldnt find anyone in the UK selling brand new Mark IIn's and as I bought my 500mm f4.0 from B&H I looked on their site,and they had em in stock.With the exchange rate so good the camera cost me 1600 quid and then 310 in duties.So I saved 1100 quid for a camera 'just as quick' but with a few less pixels.Im sure the MarkIII will come good.I just decided to save some money an put it down on a complete winner.

You sound one sensible guy gary. Hope you get on well with your
new purchase. ;)

I found this in a test-report released yesterday on the "ProPhoto HOME" site. They concluded that the latest camera bodies of EOS-1D Mark III, had a "AI Servo" that worked much better than it did on Mark II. I have the Mark III myself, but have only tested AI Servo using 3 frames per second, and it seemed to work fine. Some parts may only be accessable to members of the site

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pro-photo-reviews-articles/73689-canon-1d-mkiii-autofocus-interactive-review.html?garpg=12#content_start

Last edited:
Many thanks Andrew.Nice comment.Makes a change for someone not slaggin photogaphers,birders with cameras etc.All the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back