• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 8x42 vs Swarovski / Zeiss etc (1 Viewer)

I finally got to try out the various models, at Lakeside Optics, Chew Valley Lake, which has excellent viewing facilities over the lake as well as into some woodland close by.

I tried the Vortex Razor 8x42HD (on special offer at £799), Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x42 (£1649?), Swarovkski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision (£1765), and the Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 (£1799, down from £2025). I also tried the various 10x models, but ruled them out as I was concerned about image shake, especially as I get older (though all seemed a lot steadier than my current Habicht 10x40 porroprisms). The field of view of all of them was 50%-75% greater than that of my existing bins, and the Zeiss probably had twice the field of view - quite a revelation!

All the bins were excellent, but to my eyes the Swaro and Zeiss were outstanding, as was the Leica, and the price differential between three was very small. But I quickly ruled out the Leica due to the minimum focus distance being significantly greater than the other 3 (including the Vortex Razor). The Vortex Razor at £799 seem to be fantastic value compared to others in that price range.

It took me ages to decide between the Swaro and the Zeiss. The latter are lighter, brighter and have a wider field of view, but the Swaro showed more contrast. Both are outstanding bins.

So in the end I bought the Swaro, on the basis that they will probably be the last bins I ever buy. Now to sell some stuff on eBay to fund the purchase!

Mike

Mike, that's the way to do it. It's best to try as many as possible. I was in a similar spot last year where I went to a local outdoor store to try the various models. At the time, I didn't really consider the Vortex Razor HD as an option but after trying it in store, I was blown away. I was comparing it to the same binocular you just bought. I didn't have the higher-end Zeiss available so had to settle for a Conquest HD. I felt the Razor HD was easily on par with the Conquest -- which is OK -- since they're in the same ballpark on price.

I don't recall specifically but I found the physical features of the Swaro to be a limiting factor. Something about the way it felt when holding it I just didn't find appealing. I had the opposite feeling with the Razor HD. It just "felt" better in the hands. It was probably just balanced better for my taste.

Out of curiosity though, you said one of the final deciding factors was minimum focus distance. You also said that you couldn't handle the 10x due to shake -- but isn't that the same point with the MFD? 5ft versus 10ft (to me) isn't all that big of deal. I guess if I really needed it -- the shorter length would come in handy -- but it'd be really hard to follow a moving object at 5ft. (I'm thinking butterflies here in particular.)

Do you really get < 10ft when viewing static subjects?

Out of curiosity though, you said one of the final deciding factors was minimum focus distance. You also said that you couldn't handle the 10x due to shake -- but isn't that the same point with the MFD? 5ft versus 10ft (to me) isn't all that big of deal. I guess if I really needed it -- the shorter length would come in handy -- but it'd be really hard to follow a moving object at 5ft. (I'm thinking butterflies here in particular.)

Do you really get < 10ft when viewing static subjects?

I didn't find the shake with the 10x roof prisms too much of a problem, as they were better in respect that my porroprisms, possibly because of the way I held the roof prisms. But I'm knocking on a bit and I was thinking that in 10-20 years time it would become more of an issue. With the 8x there was noticeably less shake, so even though the magnification is less I reckon I can see just as much, if not more, detail than with the 10x. And low light performance would be better.

I agree that 10ft MFD is quite respectable, but considering the relatively small price difference between the Leicas and the Swaro/Zeiss, I decided to go for the smaller MFD. I often look at butterflies or dragonflies through the bins when they settle on plants or the ground (so as not to disturb them), and with my old bins I have to walk back a few paces to be able to focus!

I agree that it really is a personal choice and that it is very important to spend time trying them out in field conditions before buying.

Mike

Miike not sure if you've seen this but Allbinos.com rates the 8.5x42 very high: http://www.allbinos.com/251-binoculars_review-Swarovski_EL_8.5x42_Swarovision.html

My only nitpick is the poor reflections at the end of the eyepieces. For the price you're paying I want *zero* light coming from them. I just can't justify that kind of money for that design issue. It *probably* isn't an issue in the real world but...

Here's the older Leica 8x42 UVHD but you can see how nice and dark their eyepieces are... if the Swaro had them then I would have probably bought one by now.

http://www.allbinos.com/246-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_8x42_HD.html

I'm saving up for the Leica 10x50 UVHD+ for later this year.

I have handled them and the view is awesome but I think it's a TAD on the narrow side. I normally rave about Vortex for value and performance ratio but I can't say I think the current Razor HD is a "great" value at it's price point... I also agree with typo (David) that the Kowa Genesis is a very impressive bin.

I agree that the ones I handled were optically superb but suffered from too much eye relief (think blackouts) and I reluctantly passed.

I am in full agreement with Mr Chartwell......great glass on the samples I've used, both 8x and 10x, but plagued by blackouts and a narrow FOV. Maybe I have weird face????

I am in full agreement with Mr Chartwell......great glass on the samples I've used, both 8x and 10x, but plagued by blackouts and a narrow FOV. Maybe I have weird face????
:smoke:

Yep, it must be you because they're perfect for me! I'm not sure what causes the "rolling blackout" effect as I haven't experienced it AFAIK, but with all roof prism binoculars, I've noticed the IPD setting is critical for the binocular to "work" correctly. If that's not set properly then you can get some weird effects...

Hi all,

I'm in the market for some new bins, finally upgrading from my 1990 Swarovski Habicht 10x40 (which have been superb). At the time I thought that optically they were virtually as good as the Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt, but the Habicht cost £318 vs c£500 for the Zeiss (in 1990!).

I want something that I can use with/without glasses, also close focus for insects - the Habicht aren't good for either. I will probably go for 8x rather than 10x for less shake. And something that will last for the next 25 years!

Recently Birdwatch magazine had a review of the Vortex Razor HD 8x42 bins, which reckoned the optical quality was up with the leaders (presumably the 8.5x42 Swarovision).

The SVs cost £1765 in the UK, and when I've briefly tried them out I thought they were fantastic. The Razor HDs are £999 or less (c£750 on eBay).

Of course, I'll go and try them all out before I buy, but just wanted peoples' opinion whether they think the extra £750-£1000 is justified for the SV over the Razor.

Mike

No.

I handled a pair of Razors a few weeks ago at the Audubon store in Portland, and was pretty darn impressed. They definitely have that "wow!" factor that only the alpha's have.

I don't recall any blackouts or anything else that annoyed me. I thought they were superbly built and slim in the hand. If someone told me I had to give up my Swaro SLC HD's for a pair of Razors, I wouldn't hate them.

I tried both the 8x42 and 10x42 razor HD last year. I preferred the 10x42 model because of the great FOV in a 10x42. I thought both pair were very bright images and were great in low light. They are very light in this class of optics too. Very durable and minimalist armor feels nice. The thumb indents didn't work for me. After limited use a decal on top of the focus wheel came off. Minor stuff, but at the price range it left me feeling cheap. I didn't think either faired well with CA as compared to the SLC HD or Meostar HD.

During this time I also tried 10x42 SLC neu. Very nice, but heavy. I sold them for more than I paid. I then had a pair of SLC HD. Sold them for financial reasons, then bought another pair. The 8x42 just has a great FOV, great image quality, and excellent ergonomics, they just fit me well. I also bought a pair of Meostar HD 10x42, I gave these the edge over the razor. They were heavier, but felt like a better build quality and they felt great in my hands. I feel like the Meostar HD and SLC had very similar image and build quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back