• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for Binoculars for Newbie Birder Wife (1 Viewer)

The close focus of the Yosemite is a drawback, but it's one well worth putting up with for the benefits you get. The BX-1 version will improve the close focus, but at the cost of eye-relief. The Yosemite 6x30 would be my choice given your criteria.

I should admit here that, though I always carry the Yosemite when out birding, I use an Olympus 8x25 PC I for watching my feeders. (It's called the Olympus Tracker in the US; Amazon have it for $52, which is very good value. The same bin from Amazon UK would cost me $75). I find I like the apparently huge image of the Olympus and, for feeder-watching, don't mind the smaller FOV.

However, though the Yosemite seems light and small and neat to me, my wife thinks it too heavy. And when we took a friend of hers out birding, she liked the Olympus, which we leant her, but when I offered her the Yosemite to try, she said she could never use anything so big and heavy!

Some women, like my wife, insist on tiny, ultra-lightweight bins (87g in her case!) while others are happy to lug about 900g monsters. So even though your wife won't be carrying, or wearing, the bins, she might find a big difference between holding up the 482g (17 oz) of the Yosemite and the 280g (<10 oz) of a 8x25 reverse porro, such as the Olympus.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back