• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compacts, again. Leica vs. Nikon? (1 Viewer)

I understand that during that time one of the engineers suffered from an exceedingly high nose bridge to the degree that his eyes were nearly on the same plane as his nostrils, an unfortunate birth defect. Why the marketing people signed off on the "articulated hinge" Design Selections is still a mystery.

Quite the collector's item though. |>|

I presume he had one hand attached upside down that would explain the change in focusing direction to anti-clockwise to infinity (and beyond).

I presume he had one hand attached upside down that would explain the change in focusing direction to anti-clockwise to infinity (and beyond).

Actually no. It was simply his preoccupation with the 3 hinge design that caused him to "lose focus" and assign that task to "Lefty" Lentz who insisted on pulling the focus wheel to infinity rather than pushing, in spite of most people being right handed.

As you've said, these were not Zeiss' best days. :brains:

my choice in 8 x 20

I tried my friends zeiss then both the ultravid and the nikon. I bought the nikon. The ultravid was very good but more money and the focus wheel had an annoying bit of play. The Nikon is as sharp and I have no problem with the focus adjust at the far end -- in fact it may be a positive with the small overall size. I use these at least 2 or 3 times a week. If you carry them hanging from you neck the stiff double hinge holds its adjustment so the single hinge "advantage" is a non issue. The eyecups are quite good. All 8 x20 suffer in low light. Finally, I have found that I carry these when I would not have carried my larger bins. Either the Leica or Nikon will be an excellent choice.

Spunky12

I tried my friends zeiss then both the ultravid and the nikon. I bought the nikon. The ultravid was very good but more money and the focus wheel had an annoying bit of play. The Nikon is as sharp and I have no problem with the focus adjust at the far end -- in fact it may be a positive with the small overall size. I use these at least 2 or 3 times a week. If you carry them hanging from you neck the stiff double hinge holds its adjustment so the single hinge "advantage" is a non issue. The eyecups are quite good. All 8 x20 suffer in low light. Finally, I have found that I carry these when I would not have carried my larger bins. Either the Leica or Nikon will be an excellent choice.

Spunky12

Leica Trinovid in rubber 8x20. Yup, that's the one. Way cooler looking than the Nikon. Just have a quality "Look" to them. Something about them that is hard to define. You will never lose money on them.

Dennis

Wondering for a few months what compact to get looked at opticron and many other makes .
Then decided on Monday to purchas Leica Trinavids 8x20 a lovely pair of binos i couldnt afford the Ultravids but the trinavids just fit my hand perfectly and for just under £300 new i thought they were a good buy.
So looking forward to using them .
Harold

Wondering for a few months what compact to get looked at opticron and many other makes .
Then decided on Monday to purchas Leica Trinavids 8x20 a lovely pair of binos i couldnt afford the Ultravids but the trinavids just fit my hand perfectly and for just under £300 new i thought they were a good buy.
So looking forward to using them .
Harold

See. He likes them better than the Ultravid too. They are just perfect for a compact and you can get a better buy on them.

Dennis

Hehe,
yeah I guess I need to find a pair of ultravids to compare with. The primary reason for me wanting the ultravids is the waterproofing though. My trinos have not been fogged yet but I dread it.

See. He likes them better than the Ultravid too. They are just perfect for a compact and you can get a better buy on them.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back