• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asking for advice on pocket binocular (1 Viewer)

JavierV

Spain
Hello to all members of this forum. First of all, sorry for my poor English. I am a fan of binoculars, although my experience is not very enriching: I have had and given away several Opticron aspheric 8x25, a Fuji fmtrx 8x30, Celestron Noble 8x32 and I have recently acquired a Zeiss Terra ed 8x25 letting myself be guided by the experts in this forum. The latter is really comfortable, very good eye relief, contrast and brightness, although the focus knob is not to my liking. I usually travel by bike loaded with my panniers during stages of one or two weeks through the lands of Spain and I am looking for something really small, but of good quality. Unfortunately, the opticrons I have, although very good in my opinion, are not very comfortable to handle and the Zeiss ones are too big (there is not a big difference between them and my Celestron Noble in size and a lot in comfort). So I was thinking of buying a Leica Trinovid 8x20 (Swarovski cl 8x25, Ultravid and Zeiss Victory 8x25 are out of my budget and although I have seen opportunities to buy a Nikon HGL 8x20, I am concerned about the warranty issue, since they come from Japan and they are no longer manufactured) and my question is about the tightness and protection against humidity of the small leica, since I live next to the sea (Marbella, Málaga) and I am concerned that they are not filled with nitrogen. Some patient and good soul could give me his opinion? Thanks in advance.

Hi Javier and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as they are better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to the forum, those are some very good optics you mentioned. I have both the Trinovid 8x20 and
also the Zeiss Terra 8x25. The Zeiss does have better optics, and does handle easier, because it is larger.
The Leica is also good, but I find it more fiddly. I think the Leica may work well for you, as you require the small size.
I would not worry about waterproofing, because I am thinking you will take care not to get it soaked.
All Leica binoculars are very good, I think the Trinovid would be a good way to go.
Good luck.
Jerry

Welcome to the forum, those are some very good optics you mentioned. I have both the Trinovid 8x20 and
also the Zeiss Terra 8x25. The Zeiss does have better optics, and does handle easier, because it is larger.
The Leica is also good, but I find it more fiddly. I think the Leica may work well for you, as you require the small size.
I would not worry about waterproofing, because I am thinking you will take care not to get it soaked.
All Leica binoculars are very good, I think the Trinovid would be a good way to go.
Good luck.
Jerry
Thank you very much for your advice, Jerry. I use to take good care of my binoculars and try not to uselessly expose them to water etc., but I was concerned that the trinovids are not filled with nitrogen or argon or some similar gas. The Zeiss are very clear and do not have that "tunnel" effect that I have observed in my opticron aspheric and in another pentax 8x25 AD that I also had. But, when you're riding with four loaded panniers, every gram counts and that's why I thought the tiny trinovid would be a big help. Thanks again for your advice.

All pocket binoculars involve compromises. The smallest I’d consider comfortable is the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 (I own the Leica Trinovid 8x20 and Ultravid BL 8x20, BTW), but if you’ve got to minimize, you’ve got to minimize.

One other model I’d consider if I were you is the Nikon Mikron 7x15M CF. Tiny but surprisingly usable, if less so than the Trinovid. The Nikon HG monoculare are also great. Here is a size comparison:

minioptics.jpg

I have tried just about every pocket binocular there is and when you consider everything including size, optics, build quality and FOV I think the Swarovski Curio 7x21 is the pick of the litter. It is much lighter and more compact than the popular Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the EP is the same, meaning it is just as easy for eye placement and I think it is actually brighter in low light than the Zeiss because of it's super high transmission. The lower magnification is easier to hold steady also, which is important because a compact because of its small size and light weight can be more difficult to hold steady. Another thing I really prefer about the Curio is it is sharp to the edge like most Swarovski's, whereas, the Zeiss Victory 8x25 softens on the edge. Also, if you don't wear glasses, the Zeiss 8x25 has a huge problem of the eye cups not being long enough for the eye relief. You have to float them in front of your eye sockets to avoid black-outs. The Curio’s do not have this problem. The Curio is the most user friendly compact binocular I have ever tried. The UV 8x20 and Trinovid BCA 8x20 are nice, but the Curio is brighter and not as finicky because of the larger EP and lower magnification. Swarovski made a brilliant decision-making the Curio a 7x21 instead of an 8x20. It makes a huge difference. I got mine on Varuste.net and many other members have also for about $600 shipped, but you have to make sure they them in stock before ordering. You will get them in about 3 days from Finland via DHL delivery. Take my word for it, you will not beat them.

Last edited:
For a bit fuller conversation you may want to read through this thread, thats been running awhile, but is still very current.

Would you consider something inexpensive? I played around for a few days with the Pentax AD 8X25 WP. Lovely little pair. Not in the league of a Zeiss Victory Pocket but surprisingly easy to view, sharp and contrasty enough and certainly does not break the bank. It was easy to get used to the two hinges.
And they are water proof and Nitrogen purged.

Arijit

Attachments

• Pentax AD vs Zeiss VP.jpeg
    Pentax AD vs Zeiss VP.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 40
Would you consider something inexpensive? I played around for a few days with the Pentax AD 8X25 WP. Lovely little pair. Not in the league of a Zeiss Victory Pocket but surprisingly easy to view, sharp and contrasty enough and certainly does not break the bank. It was easy to get used to the two hinges.
And they are water proof and Nitrogen purged.

Arijit
Thank you very much for your wise opinion, Arijit, Grampa Tom, Denco and Fazalmajid. I have followed in this forum the evolution of general opinions about the new Curio 7x21, and I carefully read the tests of Dr. Gijs van Ginkel in THE NEW SWAROVSKI 7X21 CURIO AND OTHER COMPACT BINOCULARS in October 2021. But... I find the background marketing surrounding the 7x binocular is unsympathetic (I know that's not a valid reason, and neither is the fact that I've been an ardent admirer of the warm, glossy Leica colours on their analogue lenses from a very young age to lean towards the side of that German brand made in Portugal). That's why I thought of the small Trinovid instead of his big brother Ultravid, very expensive- although perhaps the discomfort that all experienced members comment on in this forum and the lack of nitrogen filling made me regret buying it. Regarding the small Pentax AD 8x25, I owned it at the same time as the Opticron Aspheric 8x25 and I can assure you that it is the same binocular, probably manufactured in the same Chinese factory and only with some cosmetic differences and one important one: the inclusion, supposedly, of an aspherical lens in the Opticron eyepiece. I was not able to appriciate any differences between them in regards to vision, although I noticed them between the aspheric II and aspheric III. Both are very comfortable to hold, but the view they provide is awfully narrow and the collimation sometimes comes with factory defects (I've had three of them). The big, huge advantage is that if you lose or damage them on a bike trip you won't feel that twinge in your liver that you would feel if it were a 750 euro bionocular. That's why I was considering the equidistant Trinovid: not the highest light transmission, not the perfect purged with nitrogen, yes, but on the tiny side and very easy to transport and at a price level that won't harm the pocket. Maybe? Merry Christmas to you all from Marbella

Pocket binoculars, of necessity, involve many compromises in order to achieve their small size and light weight.

You just have to decide how much performance you are willing to give up in order to be able to stick them into a pocket.

I usually travel by bike loaded with my panniers during stages of one or two weeks through the lands of Spain and I am looking for something really small, but of good quality...I was thinking of buying a Leica Trinovid 8x20...
My three favorite minimalist binoculars are the Leica 8x20 Ultravid, Swarovski 7x21 Curio and the tiny Leitz 8x20. This last one will be more affordable than the other two, and for you bicycling needs possibly a best choice.

My wife has a pair of Victory 8x25 and they are simply out of this world for a compact. Not as small as an 8x20 but that has benefits as well as drawbacks. I wear glasses so the eye cups issue that Dennis talks about don't occur for me. I did try them without my glasses and they wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

JavierV, have you considered a monocular, like fazalmajid mentioned? I usually go birding with a camera and long lens, and used to take my 10x25 compacts along. I recently switched to a 7x42 monocular. Less fiddly than the double hinge compacts and better in low light. Also, fits easily in my bag or jacket pocket.

I have the Swarvoski 8x25 and 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain bino. I started with the 8x ones and then I later bought the 10x version to gain more light transmission and detail for birding. They are small enough to fit in any jacket pocket and the case provided fits on my belt or in the water bottle pocket of my backpacks. I tried the Zeiss and the Leica compact binos but I did not care for them and returned them.

I have the trinovid 8x30 and tge VP 8x25. The Trinovid is small and sharp, and allows the focus to be set to infinity for both my eyes without glasses; it is about as large as a credit card. The Zeiss has unbelievably sharp optics, sharper than my Ultravid HD 7x42. Neither of these optics will replace a large glass for viewing comfort, but they are easily portable and will allow you to see stuff. I’ve had several of the Leicas, they never had an issue of any sort, but the new optics/coatings are much better. The Zeiss in my experience is fragile.

Edmund

Picked up some secondhand Leica Trinovid 8x20 recently. Smallest they come. The field of view is less than I normally use and they’re not as easy to use as larger binoculars, but they disappear into a pocket (unlike the Pentax papillon I have - which is around the same size as many of the 8x25 options). Having some optics with you all the time for those random times is very useful. The eyecups work nicely and the view is very nice with no dodgy edges. Very happy.

Peter

If my advice will be interesting for you, than i say for pockets:

1. ONLY 8x (not 10).

2. Choose between: Zeiss VP 8x25, Zeiss Terra 8x25, Swaro CL 8x25, Swaro Curio 7x21, Nikon Hg L Dcf 8x20, Leica UV BR 8x20.

3. Important and Necessarily - always look through before buy. Or better - compare few models side by side at the moment.

4. Noone can advise you better than your own eyes and hands.

Now Just my opinion:
8x25:
-Terra - if money is a problem
-Victory - if money not a problem
-SW CL 8x25 i didnt like (cold green tint, glare control medium, resolution “milky-smoothed”).

8x20:
-nikon hg l dcf (optically a bit better but cheaper)
-leica uv br (optically bit worse, but better body and contrast with vivid colours).
-for sw curio i have nothing to say (didnt try).

With respect…

Yes, comparing, and buying the sample you looked through is a good idea.
Also tends to keep bino shops in business
Edmund

If you can find the Nikon 8x20 HG-L I would highly recommend them. I have a pair that have been well loved and they are still going strong 12 years later. Small size but with a big view. The only issue I’ve had was the hinges loosening but it’sa simple fix

If you can find the Nikon 8x20 HG-L I would highly recommend them. I have a pair that have been well loved and they are still going strong 12 years later. Small size but with a big view. The only issue I’ve had was the hinges loosening but it’sa simple fix
Hello. How did you fix losen hinges in HG-L 8x20?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back