• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20, Nikon 8x30 E II or 8x30 Habicht? (1 Viewer)

Severin

Germany
Hi there,
i am looking for a new every day pair of binoculars. I currently own an older Trinovid 8x20 which lacks the phase-correction-coating and a Nikon 7x35 Aculon Action.
Now I want to update one of them.
I like the ultra-compactness of the 8x20, the huge FOV, the impressive stereoscopic effect and the brightness of the 7x35 Nikon-Porro.
The narrower FOV of the the 8x20 don’t bother me really, but in terms of brightness (of course) contrast and sharpness (in the center), the cheap Porro is way better. Which option give a bigger plus: Trino (no PCC) to UV or Aculon to E2, maybe Habicht? The UV is the „cheapest“ option. I have to pay + 100 Euro for the E2 and +400 Euro for the Habicht. What’s your opinion?
Greetings,
Søren

Hi Søren

A very warm welcome to you!

I've used the Aculon quite a bit, I got one for my father in law last year, it's a totally decent binocular, good centre sharpness, wide field of view, bright, rubber armoured, nice and stable, not too bad for c.a. and who'd have thought it but 7x35's seem to be back in fashion thanks in no small part to the Leica trinovid classic - it's a good format. I'm not too fussed about sharp edges but the aculons do loose a bit of sharpness quite close to the middle in direct comparison to other options - just as something to look for when your trying other ones out - even ones without aggressive field flatteners.

The trinovid is also very good, it will be a bit less sharp than one with phase coatings as you suggest. My thinking with pockets is they're better than nothing but to be honest I tend to treat 30mm as a minimum aperture, anything less gets a bit fiddly to handle and they don't fit my eye sockets, that's just personal preference though - I've tried most of them.

Which to upgrade? Whichever one you use most.

Of the suggestions you've mentioned I wouldn't ignore the fact that the habicht and ultravid are waterproof and the e2 is not. I have one large aperture good quality waterproof binocular that I use when I'm out specifically birding, it does everything well, and one smaller non waterproof one that I use the rest of the time when I just want to have a half decent optic that doesn't get in the way - I wouldn't want to be without either.

I wouldn't like to say too much on which would be a bigger jump but both would be an easily discernable improvement optically but wouldn't necessarily make a huge difference in how many birds you can i.d, more an improvement in viewing pleasure.

As usual, you'll have to go to a shop and look through a few options I'm afraid, there is many a bino I've read countless reviews and opinions on and felt would suit me down to the ground only to try a set and see nothing but black outs and feel nothing but frustration!

Good luck and all the best.

Will

Soren,

In short, I agree with @William Lewis: Upgrade the one you use most often.

That said, for context and to the extent it may be helpful, I have several different older and new models of the Leitz/Leica Trinovid and UV 8x20. Depending on how old your Trinovid is (pre phase corrected as you say), there will likely be a noticeable upgrade with the UV in terms of image quality. I also have the Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme which I understand is a one step upgrade from the Aculon. I own a 1955 vintage Habicht 6x30 porro, a Nikon E II 8x30 and have tried for a couple of hours in the field a new 10x40 Habicht. Based on this experience and some extrapolation, upgrading your Aculon to an E II or a new Habicht porro will likely be an even bigger upgrade optically than the Trinovid to UV. YMMV and good luck with the Quest.

Mike

The Swarovski Habicht all the way, superior in almost every way , except maybe the edges compared to some of the others mentioned. Sharper and brighter by far , water proof , built tough and a beautiful elegant binocular.

8X30 E-II easily! One of the few binoculars I've ever owned that surprised me by how good it was and how much I liked it! Small and light with a great optical punch! Huge FOV, bright optics, smooth focus adjustment, and not so expensive.

Ultravid 8x20 will be better than your old Trinovid 8x20 without phase coating. But Ultravid has more Trinovid DNA than Nikon E2 in Nikon Aculon Action 7x35 DNA. The jump will be higher with Nikon E2 8X30 or Habicht!

My 8x30E2 is like an old friend, I have binobandits on make the view more intimate. It’s lightweight and coming back to it I love the wide open and sharp views and the ease of use. People have noted things it doesn’t have, but there is a reason it have a very strong following.

Peter

PS I wouldn’t upgrade the 8x20 as you’ve got the smallest pocket bino already and any upgrade would make it bigger!

For reference here's a view through an e2.

Things to note is a little c.a at the field edge, it's much better controlled than most roofs with a separate focusing element although the very latest top of the range models (NL, SF, and although not the latest the kowa genesis models) have done away with most of this - there's very little c.a centre field.

Also the fov is very wide - comparable to the very best.

The hold is excellent, very stable for a 30mm model due to the wide spaced barrels and lots of real estate to put your hands on - the chamfered prism housing sits nicely in the gap between thumb and first finger, you can wrap your little fingers round the barrels if you want and the wide spaced barrels also good for suppressing lateral movement. The focus is smooth, well weighted and accurate - really to top draw focus accuracy, collimation on my new this year example is perfect. Diopter movement is smooth and firm enough not to move unintentionally.

Off axis distortion isn't noticeable in use, you can see how much there is from the picture - to my eyes it's mainly field curvature with a little astigmatism, probably 70/30 field curvature Vs astigmatism.

I was trying to avoid recommendations without trying them out but providing you don't wear glasses, mind the dab of white glue when you look through from the objective end or need waterproofing I've rarely read a bad review.

WillIMG_20230726_094615241.jpg

I wouldn’t upgrade the 8x20 as you’ve got the smallest pocket bino already and any upgrade would make it bigger!
That would only be the case if his present 8x20 is one of the oldest Leitz versions, which would also offer the greatest improvement available. All the others are larger, making it a smaller improvement, but still worthwhile. I have that old tiny Leitz 8x20 and a few of the Ultravid 8x20, and the Ultravid totally blows it away in all ways other than size.

The Nikon E II 8x30 is everything that everyone has written about it. A really gorgeous, beautifully made pair of binoculars with superb optics and ergonomics. I bought one and returned it as Amazon Logistics must have used the parcel to hone up their penalty-kick skills prior to delivery.

I then bit the bullet and bought the Habicht 8x30 and it too is a really gorgeous, beautifully made pair of binoculars with superb optics and ergonomics.

The difference for me, twixt the two bino's, is the water/dust proof build of the Habicht. I live in Mid-Wales and can go through all kinds of weather during a 10 minute walk to the river. I couldn't give a monkeys taking the Habichts with me, but the Nikons would have worried me. Last week we went out in glorious sunshine and skies blue enough to impress Vincent Van Gogh.

Within 5 minutes we were soaked to the skin (well slight exaggeration, new Paramo jackets proved their worth) as the heavens opened up but my beloveds 7x42 Habichts and my 8x30's just shrugged off the water.

But, as has been said, if you are happy with the build of the Nikons with regards to weather/dust sealing then you will save many beer tokens and end up with a truly delightful pair of bino's.

Last edited:
Hi Severin,

Agree with PatR!! I have had 7 Sw. Habicht. Five 10x40 and two 8x30. The 8x30s were old, pre-sealed and in not really good shape, but their optics were outstanding! I sold them to buy my Meopta Meostar 8x32. I have my 8x32 base covered!
Two of the five 10x40 were from the 70´s and 80´s, also not sealed and with that yellow tint in the view. But its function and optics, specially its resolution, were amazing!!!! The other three were the sealed ones. One of them pristine with its leather box but not GA, not rubber. Pretty and also amazing. Ended with a friend. The last two were 10x40 WGA. One made in 2003 and my actual one made in 2019. I will never part with it!!
The GA Habicht are made, in my opinion, with a military standard. The rubber is of another type of all other binoculars I know. And the mechanics are really impresive.
Between your options, without doubt I would go for the Habicht 8x30, in spite Swarovski does not offer them in the GA model anymore.
The UV 8x20 is also an amazing pocket binocular if you need one!

Good luck!

PHA

Leica Ultravid 8x20, Nikon 8x30 E II or 8x30 Habicht?

The title is confusing, the 20mm is different from the two 30's, it depends if you want to keep a pocket bino or not. If you replace the 20mm with a 30mm you won't have a pocket anymore. If that's OK I would get one of the porros, they would be smaller than the Aculon and hopefully have better optics.

I'd be hesitant to replace the 35mm with a 30mm, I'd want another 35mm or 40-42mm to replace it. Another thought is on the waterproofing - if you don't need it, you could add the Ultravid 8x20 and the E2's for the price of the Habicht. The value on the E2's is excellent, the only downside to them is the lack of waterproofing. But it also allows the focuser to be nice and smooth vs. the Habicht.

The GA Habicht are made, in my opinion, with a military standard. The rubber is of another type of all other binoculars I know. And the mechanics are really impresive.
Between your options, without doubt I would go for the Habicht 8x30, in spite Swarovski does not offer them in the GA model anymore.
I also own the 10x40 GA and they are great binoculars. Just for the record, Swarovski still produces the 8x30 in GA, but only in IF version. I also own one if these, tough as hell and nice glass to hold an look through.

I also own the 10x40 GA and they are great binoculars. Just for the record, Swarovski still produces the 8x30 in GA, but only in IF version. I also own one if these, tough as hell and nice glass to hold an look through.
Just out of curiosity how would one go about ordering a 8x30 if ga or finding out the price? I've looked around for them for sale but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Just out of curiosity how would one go about ordering a 8x30 if ga or finding out the price? I've looked around for them for sale but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Hi,

iirc the 8x30 GA IF were military only - I have never seen them sold except quite rarely as surplus. They certainly are not advertised on the website now and I can't remember having seen them there before.

An (also quite rare) FMT-SX in 8x30 might be easier to find and be a better pair...

Joachim, who would keep his E2...

The Habicht 8x30 view is unlike any other binocular I've owned, unfortunately it didn't work for me.
The eii are excellent, I've owned two, however for sheer performance and grunt the Habicht wowed me more.

Thank you all for your suggestions :)
Which to upgrade? Whichever one you use most.
I use the tiny Trinovid from the early 90s much more often. It is much more comfortable as the Aculon for me. The cons: sharpness and contrast are not sufficient, but it fits in my pocket. This is a very important advantage. I would like to give the Ultravid a chance to fix those issues. In addition maybe a 10x50 DDR-Zeiss Dekarem for more brightness and huge FOV?
The Problem with the EII: There is the SE, but it is hard to find one…

Last edited:
Hi,

if dual hinge shirt pocket bins are your cup of tea - and they seem to be since you like the shirt pocket trinis - trying the ultravid seems logical. They're phase coated and have more modern multicoatings so will be a tiny bit sharper in center field and a tad brighter. Also a tiny bit bulkier.
Worth a look might be the Curio 7x21 - roughly the same size as the Ultrvid, also phase coated and modern multicoatings but also a larger exit pupil and that will make things a lot brighter than a few years of multicoatings development. Also less fiddly to get placed correctly.

As for a 10x porro, a multicoated Dekarem is not a bad entry level choice but not too easy to find a good and reasonably priced pair - I would not pay much more than 200€ for an ok pair to used - LNIB collectors items will fetch more but not from me.
For the connnaisseur / snob an SE in 10x42 (light and still trades blows with current alphas, if you can find one), a Zeiss West 10x50 Jahrhundertglas (if you can find one and unfortunately ALL are single coated, even the very expensive ate 80s or early 90s reissue series), or, if you are more interested in looking up from a recliner chair and don't care for weight, a CZJ or Docter Nobilem 10x50 or a Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50 - the latter is IF only....

Joachim, who has closed the 10x chapter with an SE...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back