• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Action 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Eugene Archer

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a pair of Nikon Action 7x35 (either the CF or the CF EX model) but I have no opportunity to test out a pair properly here in France so . . . does anyone have a pair of either of these and what is your opinion of them ? I need to know all the usual stuff - sharpness throughout the field of view, dept of field, the real close-focus figure, and general impressions in the hand. Thanks.

Pretty much junk! They get real fuzzy quick out from the sweet spot. Not really suitable for the serious birder unless your on a real low budget.

Dennis

Yikes !!! Thanks Dennis, I'm looking to get a small pair (7 or 8x by 30-35mm max) for my girlfriend as she's starting to take an interest in birding. She likes my Swarovski SLC 8x30's (naturally) but finds my spare Opticron 8x42 DCF roof-prisms a bit bulky and often has difficulty picking up a bird due to the narrow-ish FOV. I managed to try out some other low-cost Nikons and thought they were quite good so I'm surprised that the Action 7x35's don't come up to scratch. Anyone else got any opinions . . . for or against ???

Eugene,
Just to add my opinion, we recently had a couple of pairs of these for work - they were very disappointing, not very sharp or bright.

Cheers,

H

They're definitely not in the same league as your 8x30 SLCs. I like the build quality and eye-relief of the Action EX much better than the Action, but I haven't looked at these enough recently to recall how they differ optically. A good unit of either model will be good and sharp in the center, but as others have noted, they due tend to get smeary rapidly towards the edges. In the same price range, I've always liked the Bushnell 8x42 Nature View for its wide easy view, but I'm not sure the present incarnation is the same as what I've tested in the past.

Neither the Nikon Action EX or the Bushnell Natureview are as small as you seem to desire. The Leupold 6x30 or 8x30 Yosemite would be a much better choice for size (and maybe optical quality), but I'm not sure how easy they are to find in France. If you want to get REALLY nice optics, find a Nikon 8x30 EII--they're gone in the USA now, but still supposedly available in Britain and Japan, so you might be able to find one.

All the above are full or mid-sized porros, but if "small" is important, perhaps you should be looking at reverse-porro compacts or 8x32 mid-priced roofs? Maybe let her do the choosing?

--AP

Hello Eugene, Have a look at the recent "Nikon Action Extreme v. Nikon Sporter" thread.
I have the Nikon 7x35 EX and it's certainly not 'junk'. The EX is definitely better than the ordinary Action model. I'm surprised by the negative opinions expressed, but perhaps I'm too easily pleased? I like the robust build and solidity of the EX, but your girlfriend may prefer something lighter. The EX view is bright, clear and sharp, to my eyes, and I like the depth of focus it provides. The Yosemite seems to have a loyal following, so sounds like a safe bet. If lightness and portability are the main criteria, you might also consider the Pentax Papilio (I have the 6.5x) which is quite 'dinky' and has close-focus to 45cm.
Hope you find the right one... Jim.

Denco, Badger, Alexis, James - thanks very much folks for your opinions, much appreciated. It looks like I can forget about the Nikons so I'll search for some more options, maybe the Opticron Oregon 8x32's as they seem to also fit the bill in terms of size, FOV, portability, etc. and they're within my very limited budget for the moment. In any case, as long as the bins are optically good / v.good and user-friendly they will keep her interested and encouraged and will suffice for the next year or two until we can move up to something better. Thanks once again.
Eugene

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back