• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 8d (2 Viewers)

Apart from offers from Canon of a straight exchange :smoke:

Strange to request a feature from an entry model (400d), but I liked the rear display that turned off automatically when the camera was up against my face. As I'm blind as a bat when reading, the rear display is sometimes handy (large characters) when viewing shooting settings but remains on all of the time.
As I've only had the 7d for a day, there may be an alternative setting I haven't found yet.

I'll have the f/8 focusing, but I have zero interest in a lower-res sensor - there'd be no noise advantage, and all you'd get for it is less detail.

Andymc Im not quite sure what you mean but try keep hitting the info button
that cycles the screen details and one of them is nothing there.

I would like to see my 7d in a 1d body so bigger battery that lasts forever, sits better in the hand etc. (battery grips dont do it for me)
maybe call it the 1.7d or the 1/7th D

I'll have the f/8 focusing, but I have zero interest in a lower-res sensor - there'd be no noise advantage, and all you'd get for it is less detail.

I can't see Canon giving it f8 AF, I'd be very surprised if they don't keep that as an exclusive feature on the 1 series bodies. I'm not sure I understand the second bit - why do you assume that a lower res sensor wouldn't have a noise advantage... If all other things are equal than I would have thought that a lower res sensor (bigger pixels) would perform better at high ISO.

What would you like to see on the 8d only 9 months to go ;)

I think 9 months may be a bit optimistic. That would put it on a 13-month cycle. It will be interesting to see if they go for an 18-month cycle (like the xxD tends to be) or three years (like the 5D and the 1D). I reckon an 8D might be my Xmas pressie to myself in 2011.

By then I predict there'll be loads of people bemoaning the fact that it's only 18MP while the 3000D has got 24MP and hoping that the 8D has 30MP. All dSLRs at that time (except for the proper 'pro' models and, maybe, the entry-level) will have articulated LCDs, in-built GPS, iPhone control via BT and will use DNG for raw files. And there'll be somebody complaining about each and every one of those features.

Actually, I'd think MP growth, cleaner ISO, and superior LCD screen would be logical. Going out on a limb for "dream" ideas, I'd say F8 focusing would be awesome, and just to throw a wrench in the works, a 2x crop factor chip size. Imagine a 400 5.6 L =1.4x TC on a body like this...sch-weet!

Andymc Im not quite sure what you mean but try keep hitting the info button
that cycles the screen details and one of them is nothing there.
I know that one, I'm just bone idle. There's enough buttons to press on the other side - I like to take pictures with a camera, not play it like an accordion :-O
The 400d has a proximity sensor that turns off the rear screen automatically.

I'm not sure I understand the second bit - why do you assume that a lower res sensor wouldn't have a noise advantage... If all other things are equal than I would have thought that a lower res sensor (bigger pixels) would perform better at high ISO.
I'm not assuming, Peter - I've read enough now to be absolutely certain that it's sensor size, not pixel density, that matters when we're talking about noise.

The same amount of light hits a sensor whether it has 8 mp or 18 mp, and although noise per pixel might be higher, the overall noise of the sensor will remain more or less constant regardless of the number of pixels in it.

From this article (which I agree with completely):

The noise of reading the dearth of photons striking the sensor in near darkness is fairly random, and therefore it averages out to nothing over a large number of pixels.

Imagine 10 Mpixel and 40 Mpixel sensors of the same size. Each sensel on the 10 Mpixel sensor will take up the same area as four sensels in the 40 Mpixel sensor, and each sensel from the 40 Mpixel sensor will be a quarter the size of the sensels on the less dense sensor. The four smaller sensels will be noisier, individually, than the one large sensel.

Let's say for the sake of argument that they are each four times noisier. However, in producing a 'downrezzed' 10 Mpixel image from the 40 Mpixel sensor, the values of the four small sensels are averaged together, and the variation of their noise averages out between the four. Each sensel may be four times noisier than the larger sensel, but once averaged together, the value of the composite four-in-one sensel will be no noisier than the larger sensel.

In this model, while noise varies per sensel as sensel size changes, the noise per square millimetre of sensor doesn't change. That applies to pixels in the final image too. In any given area of the final image, read noise does not vary significantly with density of sensels.
Or - to put it another way - think of a window in your house: whether it's made up of one pane of glass or four, it'll let in the same amount of light, to all meaningful intents and purposes (assuming that the window frames aren't massive).

Want more light? You put a bigger window in.

Bigger window = bigger sensor.

Or, back to cameras: in noise terms my 7D is better than my 40D is better than my 30D - pixel density has increased and noise performance has improved. More pixels hasn't hurt at all, and noise has in fact improved. If more pixels meant more noise, I'd be writing "my 7D is worse than my 40D is worse than my 30D" - and it just ain't so..!

;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back