• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you think there'll be a R7 MK2 (1 Viewer)

Weasel1

Supporter
United Kingdom
Afternoon all... I'm about to buy an R7, but was wondering if there might be an upgraded version coming in the next 9 to 12 months?

I know the R6 was upgraded to the R6 MK2 after 28 months, so working on that basis do you think there might be an R7 MK2 in the next 9 months?

I know it's totally guesswork but was just wondering if it's worth waiting a while as my 1D3 and 7D are still going strong.

Will there be an upgrade ............ most probably, will it be in the next 9-12 months ................ who knows but you can currently buy an R7 body for less than £1,000 which is a bargain? Can't comment on the 1D3 but I upgraded from a 7Dmk1 to the R7 and was amazed at the improvements!

Shane

Thanks for the input... thinking about it I know I could just wait and see, but then that could be time wasted when I could be enjoying an R7.

I recently bought the R7 and am very impressed with it. I think Canon's more likely priorities are releasing the R1 and perhaps updating the R5 to Mark II to compete with the Z8 and catch up to the R6 II. If you can put the R7 to use now, why not go for it?

I suppose that when they correct the flaws of the R7 (weak build, not weatherproof, no way to switch some modes by programming buttons, takes age to be ready to shot starting from sleep mode, etc.) it will be after the R1 comes out, like they did with with last 7D and 1D.

Some great points and thanks guys.

Yes, weather proofing is a concern and could never understand Canon's approach to the R7.

£980 is mighty tempting, though I'd have to check what is included for that price as the 'what's in the box' picture only shows the camera, no battery, charger, strap or cover, though I can't see them selling the camera without all the necessary bits.

Some great points and thanks guys.

Yes, weather proofing is a concern and could never understand Canon's approach to the R7.

£980 is mighty tempting, though I'd have to check what is included for that price as the 'what's in the box' picture only shows the camera, no battery, charger, strap or cover, though I can't see them selling the camera without all the necessary bits.
I don't think you ever got a cover (I had one from the first production and it didn't) and your 7D charger will work. I've never used a strap from the box as I prefer my over-shoulder hip-sling strap. You would want the battery though.

Mine's operated in rainforest without trouble so I guess you might have to be quite extreme to make weatherproofing a real concern. I never take my 100-400 off it anyway, for short lens stuff I still use a 7Dii.

John

Yes...just as long as it came with a battery I'd be happy and a cover is a few quid and readily available.

I suppose keeping it dry isn't an issue either as I have one of those really good WWS covers that lives on the 500f4.

I suppose my biggest concern is buying from eInfinity or Panamoz and the like, I've always liked buying from a shop you can walk into and deal with them face to face, but a £500 saving is a big chunk of money, so definitely something to think about.

Yes...just as long as it came with a battery I'd be happy and a cover is a few quid and readily available.

I suppose keeping it dry isn't an issue either as I have one of those really good WWS covers that lives on the 500f4.

I suppose my biggest concern is buying from eInfinity or Panamoz and the like, I've always liked buying from a shop you can walk into and deal with them face to face, but a £500 saving is a big chunk of money, so definitely something to think about.
I don't know eInfinity but I've used Panamoz before and I've had good quick service. If you know what you want there's no reason not to. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

John

That's reassuring in regards to Panamoz, plus I believe they offer a 3yr warranty which is good, providing it stands up if needed.

Thanks for the help, John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back