• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first twitchable Connecticut bird (1 Viewer)

streatham

Just had an amazing day which I needed to write down - found a life bird today (Red-Headed Woodpecker) - it's a rare to very rare bird for the state - as I speak other birders are on there way to find it. My friend and I got great looks at it for about half an hour and my hands have finally stopped shaking enough to type this message - what a beautiful bird and what a thrill. Usually the interesting birds I have found are migrants that are unlikely to hang around but this one I imagine is a summer wanderer that looks as if it may be staying put for a little while.

Luke :bounce:

Thanks Jason,

Yeah it's really made my day/month/year - how sad -lol. Just had to write it down somewhere it would be appreciated.

Luke

Those are fun to see. I know we have them, but I don't see many in a year. I think I have not seen any yet for 2004. My mother in law in Nebraska has some on her property most years.

Congratulations,Luke,a great bird and one of my favourites, which took me a lot of effort to track down.
I can imagine the excitement in seeing one in CT!

Thanks for the congrats Trevor - it wasn't relocated by people yesterday but it seems to have been re-found today which is cool - always a nice feeling to be able to pass a good bird onto other birders.

Luke

Thanks Andrew - indeed it was a lifer - I tend to only bird my locality and the odd holiday trip so it's a real find for me as the closest they usually get is Southern NJ or Western NY. I think one immature hung around for a while last winter but not into this year as far as I know.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back