• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Long Week of Campus Birding: A Summary of Events (2 Viewers)

MohoNobilis

Hong Kong
Haven't been active on here much, but I am very glad to say that I have been birding constantly over the past few weeks, and that I would gladly wake up early in the morning just to see the birds around my school campus.

Since I was gone, I have seen many different types of birds that are new to me (since I am not from the UK) - from the tiny goldcrest to noisy Eurasian oystercatchers and a nuthatch that apparently settled down in the school grounds.

Going out more often also means that I am starting to notice more than what others might see as common birds around the area. As a student who is fascinated by birds, I am always grateful even when any robin or blackbird shows up in front of me (only to quickly run or fly away after making a short amount of eye contact).

Recently, I have gained an interest in birds of prey. Ever since I have seen my first red kite on the campus in February, I have always waited to see more of them around here.

Just a few days ago, I have seen two red kites flying in the sky. What made me stare at them in awe was how they glided in sync - as if they were carefully coordinated. I have no idea as to why they might do that (as I am just a student who has recently gained this interest in birding), but it was a rather fascinating sight to watch.

4AFBFF7E-0B83-4869-A619-788BF77E2744.jpeg

The next day, I found a broken feather on the ground. It was quite long compared to the size of my hand, and I didn't know what bird it belonged to. I felt strangely connected to it after picking it up, however. I only kept a half of it due to the other half being unsalvageable.

230C18C6-7707-42D7-B78B-4DB52727A904.jpeg
(Size of feather segment, hand for reference.)

All stuff about that feather aside, it was quite nice to finally go outside and get closer to nature without being looked at by other people who don't fully understand the beauty of such little things around my school. England is such a wonderful place for birding, and I'm glad that I got to know more about the birds around my area in these few months.

Quite often, when two raptors are circling around each other, it's a form of pair display. You'll see that from buzzards, sparrowhawks, peregrines, hobbies and others. If you're lucky, you'll see them fly faster and more dramatically as they display to each other, which can be a truly splendid sight.

Birds of prey can provide some of the most rewarding birdwatching imaginable, although you often need time and patience - to acquire the knowledge of where they are and what their habits are, and even when you have that knowledge, to wait for the cool stuff to happen. I didn't have that patience when I was your age, nor a mentor whom I could learn from. But if you can develop that patience, a world of wonders awaits. Watching a peregrine so high in the sky it looks like a black star never gets old, the drama and the suspense of it enthrals me every single time.

Quite often, when two raptors are circling around each other, it's a form of pair display. You'll see that from buzzards, sparrowhawks, peregrines, hobbies and others. If you're lucky, you'll see them fly faster and more dramatically as they display to each other, which can be a truly splendid sight.

Birds of prey can provide some of the most rewarding birdwatching imaginable, although you often need time and patience - to acquire the knowledge of where they are and what their habits are, and even when you have that knowledge, to wait for the cool stuff to happen. I didn't have that patience when I was your age, nor a mentor whom I could learn from. But if you can develop that patience, a world of wonders awaits. Watching a peregrine so high in the sky it looks like a black star never gets old, the drama and the suspense of it enthrals me every single time.
That is really interesting to know! I can still remember them soaring through the sky as I read your reply. I have also seen buzzards and sparrowhawks quite a few times around the campus during that time, but none of those birds have produced such vivid memories in my mind for a beginner like me. (I have learnt more about birds and have slightly more experience in birding, but from your reply, I realised that I still have much more to learn.)

I try my best to be patient to wait for the birds to appear, but I often lose it after an hour or so due to me having to "do something else" (the homework load I have received at my current school now is massive, as well as the fact that I have to try my best to produce artworks for social media), but when I wait long enough, the birds that I wish to see (mostly common birds) on that day will usually (but not always) appear in front of me. Thank you so much for the advice. I hope I, too, can experience more of the wonders of watching birds of prey.

Birds can also do this when they're riding a thermal. That's an updraft of air coming up from the side of a hill. They use these thermals to gain height before flying away. And I'm sure sometimes they use them just for fun LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back