• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Reed Warbler at Baggeridge (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi all,

Today me, john n and his wife, i think it's Christine, i'm not very good at remembering names. Anyway we met up at 11:00 and went to the rangers offfice to look at the list of birds seen in the park.If we'd have seen them all it would of been a total of 16 lifers, off we went to Bagpool and saw the usual wildfowl found on inland water. We then proceede along a bridge which is has dense reeds either side, and that's where we heard it, The Reed Warbler, we spent about half an hour listening to it's call but was unable to spot it, well for the time being anyway. We then walked up a hill and on the bank at the side was a very plain and featureless bird, A garden warbler, lifer number one for the day it was feeding the young , three fledglings in all.
We then went round towards a whites wood and on the way it flew and perched, lifer number two, a Marsh tit. We also heard calls that we coul'dnt recognise, we then carried on through the wood and onto some scrubland in search of lesser whitethroat, no luck, we then came to this steep hill and me a john got down first, but sadly Christine fell down, bruised her nose and cut her lip and so john and his wife decided it was best if they went. As we were walking back up we saw a grey heron and 4 grey wagtails. We als saw an absoluteley stunning view of a green woodpecker taking a bath and it was quite an amazing site. We then went back to have one last look for the Reed warbler, it was still calling but was not seen until i turned around to talk to John and it flew past us, John and Christine saw it but not me, i was proper gutted. They went and i decided to go and look for yellohammer and i got it. Lifer number three, i'm also sure i saw skylark but can't confirm it, i'll HAVE TO LOOK AT SOME PHOTOGRAPHS TO SEE IF I DID. I alsoi saw a pair of Ravens high up. An hour had passed and i went back to look for the Reed Warbler, after 45 minutes of standing there i went round the other side of the reedbed and i saw it staight away moving through the reeds, i was watching it for about 10 seconds before it dissapeared into the the reeds, preety good view of a reedy aye. Lifer number 4 and then i went back home very chuffed indeed. It is the first Reed warbler ever rewcorded being seen at Baggeridge, i think anyway. Thanks John and Christine for meeting up with me, i couldn't of id them without your help.

Last edited:
Sorry Mike,

I meant Garden Warbler, sorry for the mistake.
By the way Mike, can i catch the train from Sunbury to Barnes as i think i am stuck in getting to the London Wetland centre otherwise. Info appreciated.

Steven

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back