• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID - Outer Moray Firth Scotland (1 Viewer)

Hey Guys,

New here and a complete novice.

I am currently on a seismic vessel in the Outer Moray Firth and came across this little guy on the helideck.

It would be great if anyone could identify it.

P.s sorry for the quality, the internet isn't great!

Attachments

• DSC_035611.jpg
    DSC_035611.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 181
It could be a Dunlin. Try putting that into Google and looking at a few photos if you can.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks Roy,

The beak certainly looks the same. The only difference I can see is that it didn't have any brown on the belly, just white (Could be seasonal?) and it didn't seem quite as lean as the ones on google images, a bit more like a robin.

I thought it may be some time of sandpiper but I guess Dunlin is more likely.

Here is another photo which is even worse than the first :)

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 136
It certainly looks like a dunlin in the first picture. However, if the legs are actually the pale greeny colour that they appear on the second picture (on my monitor at least) then that would rule that out. I get the feeling that that might just be an photographic artifact though.

I'm thinking that the bill may be half the suggested length, the rest being shadow into the (body shadow), the leg tone could well be a ''photo artefact'', note that the pp is longer rather than shorter...thus it might be a Little Stint?

Cheers

Hi Mark - Yeh I'm pretty sure that is just my poor photography skills. It was also at midnight so it is all artificial lighting.

Thanks ken, I've not ever seen a little stint before but the colouring does look very similar based on google images. It would account for the white belly too, although I'm not sure about the beak. It did seem a little longer in person.

I guess I won't find out definitively but the different opinions are very helpful.
Either way, beats the usual fulmars!

Thanks,

Sam

I'm thinking that the bill may be half the suggested length, the rest being shadow into the (body shadow), the leg tone could well be a ''photo artefact'', note that the pp is longer rather than shorter...thus it might be a Little Stint?

Cheers

Ahh here is another photo that shows that perhaps you were right and the bill is shorter! Little stint? (Also has the darker patch along the top of the head)

Attachments

• 222.png
    222.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 106
Don't laugh too hard at me here, some is expected.

The legs look T Stint, the body looks Dunlin

The fact that it seems dormant/sleeping in the first pic takes me away from T stint though as they act like sanderling, constantly running as if "clock-work" etc

I will now look through replies so I can see that my observations have already been rendered defunct.

Do you get many birds on the rig?

Hi Steve.
I should have put something about the behaviour. It was constantly running around like a headless chicken and as soon as I stopped walking he came to check me out which is when I took the photo. As soon as I moved he was off again searching for God knows what.

I'm on a ship which finds oil and gas, currently near some rigs. There are some birds that fly past that I can't identify but it's hard to get a photo worth posting!

Cheers

Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back