• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

About the name of Passerina rositae (1 Viewer)

Dear Jan,

Although Bonaparte's "Ixos susanii Mull." lacks any etymological explanation, I think a case could be made that it was Salomon Müller's intent to honour the administrator of the Leiden Museum Joannes Andreas Susanna (and a male to boot). Both are clearly linked through RMNH. Also he worked as a kind of editor on the publication 'Verhandelingen over de natuurlijke geschiedenis der Nederlandsche overzeesche bezittingen, door de leden der Natuurkundige Commissie in Indië' (1839-1844), wherein Müller published much of his results. Moreover, in 1834 Susanna published a biography of Müller's 'Natuurkundige Commissie'-colleague Heinrich Boie.

Last edited:
FWIW, ἰξός is masculine (indicated here, as often in Greek dictionaries, by appending the masc. article ὁ to the noun -- fem. would be ἡ, neuter τό), and so is, therefore, the genus name Ixos.

There was also a publisher around this time named H. C. Susan, C.Hz in Den Haag, who published works about the Dutch Indies (i.a. the Handelingen en geschriften van het Indisch Genootschap te 's Gravenhage). (In any case, 'Susan' did certainly exist as a name in the Netherlands, albeit as a family name, rather than a given name.)

Last edited:
Short continuation of this side-track of "Rosita"

James was quick, very quick on this one! Now the HBW Alive Key tells us:
susanii
Eponym; no dedication given (Bonaparte 1854); probably for Joannes Andreas Susanna (1795-1859) Dutch administrator of the Leiden Mus. (Anon. in litt.) (syn. Pycnonotus eutilotus).
Either way; more about Mr. Susanna, here ... for anyone curious, who understands Dutch. ;)
--

Last edited:
Susanna, an extension
For those interested in Rosita this seems quite another thread, but in the reactions I found some reason for exposing the difficulties caused by some names. After all, it was Alberto ElChivizcoyo who showed us the connection of the name Rosita to a woman named Rosalia, which would have been hard to find otherwise.

susanii (Ixos): given as Ixos susanii "Müll." by Bonaparte, 1854. No dedication given. [HBW Alive, Key to scientific names]
Ixos susanii Bonaparte, C.r.Acad.Sci., Paris, 1854: 59. Holotype, (Immature female, vide, Sharpe, Cat.Bds.Brit.Mus., 6 (1881): 62). Reg.no. 1852.5.12.10. Sumatra. Collected by A.Delattre and purchased of Verreaux. [Type specimens of birds Brit.Mus., Vol.2, Passerines, 1971, p.547]
[Séance du lundi 16 janvier 1854. Zoologie: Notes sur les collections rapportées en 1853, par M.A.Delattre, de son voyage en Californie et dans le Nicaragua, par S.E. Lucien, prince Bonaparte.
C.R., 1er sémestre T. XXXVIII, No.3, pp.53-67, p.59.]

Now, if susanii in Ixos susanii would refer to a woman, it would be the third case in my experience of stumbling into a personal name of dubious grammatical termination. The first one was hoflingi in Knipolegus aterrimus hoflingi, apparently named after Elizabeth Hofling, Brazilian ornithologist. This name clearly should be hoflingae for a woman. The name was given by Lencioni-Neto in 1996. Such a mistake could hardly occur in the past centuries, I suppose, for the authors knew the elementary things of Latin and Greek grammar. (There could be an explanation in the English pronunciation of the ending -ae, versus the -i of other languages). Eventually the name was adapted to hoflingae in 2015 (update AOU Checklist).

Knipolegus nigerrimus hoflingi F.Lencioni-Neto, Uma nova subespécie de Knipolegus (Aves, Tyrannidae) do Estado de Bahia, Brasil. Rev.Brasil.Biol., 56 (2), 1996, pp.197-201, p.197.
♂ + ♀ collected at Mucuge, Bahia, Brazil. [ChH+M2 p.370]
K.nigerrimus hoflingae (K.nigerrimus hoflingi)
K.nigerrimus hoflingi [ChH+M2 p.370] = Knipolegus nigerrimus hoflingae [IOC World Bird List, Updates Jan.15, 2015: “Change to feminine genitive.”]

Earlier this year this subforum had a discussion on the name janeti which I found in Ammomanes deserti, given by Meinertzhagen. Apparently the name was given for Janet, sister of Colonel Meinertzhagen's partner Theresa Clay. But then it had to be janetae, not Janet + masculine genitive ending! No explanation has been found.

For Susanna there is a good example:
susannae (Paradisea): name given by Ramsay in 1883, for Lady Susan Emmeline Macleay née Deas Thomson (1838-1903), wife of Scottish/Australian settler and politician Sir William John Macleay. [HBW Alive Key]

The Susanna of this thread, linked in some way to Salomon Müller, could have received such an epithet, but in many cases authors chose for the ending -i, if the person of dedication was a man. (not always so in the past, think of names like bottae, andaryae etc.). Joannes Andreas Susanna, in the reaction of Vinividivici above, was the son of Joannes Baptista Susanna who at a young age left his native northern Italy to settle in Holland as a salesman. (text indicated by Björn). So the name is Italian. The links of Susanna Jr. with Salomon Müller are clear, Susanna first became a function as administrator at the Academic Museum Leiden under C.J.Temminck (after the death of administrator L.F.Thyssen), in January 1825, and later edited an important work on results of exploring fieldwork in the East Indies. However, Salomon Müller, who participated in that fieldwork, did not publish a name Susanna; he wrote susani (as a MS.name), published by Bonaparte [see above].
Confusion with the publisher's name Susan, mentioned by Laurent Raty?

Venividivici would do well (if so desired) to pass his proper name to James Jobling, so that the "anonymous" in the HBW Alive Key to susani can be replaced.

Niels Larsen suggested the possibility of a romance in some British harbour place, but I am afraid there is no Susan in this nomenclatorial picture, not a woman nor a baby girl of that name. The Danish reference does not seem reliable and I suppose its source can hardly be checked any more.
On Niels's remark about congruency between an epithet and the gender of the generic name I can only say that there is no such congruency, unless the epithet has been made into an adjective, like alphonsianus or
muelleriana.
Anyway, the reactions have clarified several things and relations. I cannot recommend the reading of the story about J.A.Susanna's career, which Björn indicated; it is a lengthy treatise in outdated style, full of exaggerated details on the person's qualities. For someone who likes to study Dutch, this would be a good choice to kill every linguistic aspiration . . . (however, there are few alternatives from that era, I think).
Jan van der Brugge (maybe you got a comparable negative idea of my text; well, so be it . . .).

The Susanna of this thread, linked in some way to Salomon Müller, could have received such an epithet, but in many cases authors chose for the ending -i, if the person of dedication was a man. (not always so in the past, think of names like bottae, andaryae etc.). Joannes Andreas Susanna, in the reaction of Vinividivici above, was the son of Joannes Baptista Susanna who at a young age left his native northern Italy to settle in Holland as a salesman.
Yet, a genitive in -ii formed from a name in -a is at best unusual. In most such instances, where the dedicatee was male and the more classical -ae was not used, authors have opted for the quite un-Latin -ai -- as in birulai, kurodai, etc.
Additionally, the simplification of the double consonnant at the end of the stem would not be exactly usual either. (If an author was to name something explicitly susanii after a Mr. Susanna, I'm pretty sure some would be tempted to 'correct' this by re-instating the double -nn-... Cf. Gallus lafayetii named after Lafayette, that is being emended into 'lafayettii'.)
[...] it would be the third case in my experience of stumbling into a personal name of dubious grammatical termination.
Parus teneriffae hedwigii [OD here] is another example.

Last edited:
Well, Laurent, this is a personal feeling, of course, but I would treat a name hedwigii dedicated to a woman, with serious doubts as to the linguistic capacities of the authors in question. In this maybe "narrow" view my confidence in the remainder of their publication gets damaged somehow, like the work of someone who shows that he is not able to compose a text of some level, is anyhow damaging his reputation. (Not his qualities as a person, and I am not referring to email or newspaper messages, of course, but to a scientific publication which will be distributed at a corresponding level, and sometimes might lead to promotion). Well, you offered me my fourth case. By the way, I wonder about any comment from the dedicated woman when "crookedly" honoured.

About the genitive endings: I have always "cherished the thought", that the origin of the ending -ai was in the latinization of a family or person's name to -us, like Nicolai from Nicolaus. I realise that birulai and kurodai are never printed in a nominative latinized form Birulaus and Kurodaus, but I imagined that such versions could be seen as starting point for the genitive. Then susanii from Susanius would be logic. You know, I suppose, that Dutch names in some periods of the history were latinized, like Jansenius (from Jansen), Heinsius (Heins) or Jongerius (from Jongere). Possibly I have always unjustly combined such phenomena in order to explain some queer things in nomenclature.
Regards,
Jan van der Brugge

Well, Laurent, this is a personal feeling, of course, but I would treat a name hedwigii dedicated to a woman, with serious doubts as to the linguistic capacities of the authors in question. In this maybe "narrow" view my confidence in the remainder of their publication gets damaged somehow, like the work of someone who shows that he is not able to compose a text of some level, is anyhow damaging his reputation. (Not his qualities as a person, and I am not referring to email or newspaper messages, of course, but to a scientific publication which will be distributed at a corresponding level, and sometimes might lead to promotion). Well, you offered me my fourth case. By the way, I wonder about any comment from the dedicated woman when "crookedly" honoured.
I've not seen any reaction from her side.
My reading of the wording of the current Code is that it forbids changing anything in the original spelling of a name, except in a strictly limited number of situations explicitly listed in Art. 32.5. which does not include genitive endings. But genitive endings had to be corrected to match grammar under all previous editions, and this situation in the present Code is presumably a consequence of poor editing. (When the 4th ed. was prepared, there were plans to remove all the grammatical stuff from the Code: in early draft versions, the article about genitive endings (31.1) had been entirely deleted. It was reintegrated at the last minute, quite clearly in a hurry, and without paying attention to the rest of the text, that had been adapted to its absence.)
About the genitive endings: I have always "cherished the thought", that the origin of the ending -ai was in the latinization of a family or person's name to -us, like Nicolai from Nicolaus. I realise that birulai and kurodai are never printed in a nominative latinized form Birulaus and Kurodaus, but I imagined that such versions could be seen as starting point for the genitive. Then susanii from Susanius would be logic. You know, I suppose, that Dutch names in some periods of the history were latinized, like Jansenius (from Jansen), Heinsius (Heins) or Jongerius (from Jongere). Possibly I have always unjustly combined such phenomena in order to explain some queer things in nomenclature.
In the Code, two distinct 'methods' are offered: one is to latinize the name and inflect the latinized form according to the rules of Latin grammar; the other is supposed to apply to names of modern persons only, and consist in the 'artificial' addition of -i, -ae, -orum or -arum to the unmodified name. Of course, authors often do/did not state which method they are/were using, and the result of the second method can typically be matched by a particular application of the first one.
Yes, I agree that you might in principle latinize Susanna to Susanius; and, if you do, the genitive is unquestionably Susanii. I'm just not convinced this is what most people would have done with that name (i.e., susannae, susannai, susannii or susanni, all seem more likely to me).

Well, this thread´s already drifted far, too far, away, ... so why not continue it ... with the hope that Alberto will find it worthwile to include any future findings on Rosalía/Rosita!

• "Ixos susanii" BONAPARTE 1854 (ex Müller) here: "Mull, in Mus. Verr. ex Sumatra"

Jan, have you checked this Paper; Warren, R.L.M., 1948. The name and type of Ixos susanii Bonaparte.— Ibis 90: 471 ... ?

Also see foot-note 42, here (p.126), however not of its etymology but of its possible validity.

And; why couldn´t this eponym be intended for a (Mr.) Susan connected to either Delattre or Verreaux?
-

Last edited:
Laurent finished his reaction (thanks for explaining) with:
"Yes, I agree that you might in principle latinize Susanna to Susanius; and, if you do, the genitive is unquestionably Susanii. I'm just not convinced this is what most people would have done with that name (i.e., susannae, susannai, susannii or susanni, all seem more likely to me)."

That is not what I wrote or meant. I imagined that susanii could be derived from Susan, the editor which Laurent had mentioned before, not from the name Susanna. But, as I said, in that case you would think of a confusion of the two names. Any relation between Salomon Müller and this publisher Susan has stayed out of this discussion. Maybe there is none.

Here is an impression of the mess which authors can make of dedicatory names . . .

hedvigae (Metallura): for ”Madame la Comtesse Hedvige Branicka”. Name was given by Taczanowski in 1874. The countess is also commemorated in the name hedwigae (Chlorochrysa).
hedwigae (Chlorochrysa): H.Berlepsch & J.Stolzmann, 1901: ”Nous nous permettons de dédier cette belle espèce, qui est très distincte des espèces connues du genre Chlorochrysa, à Mme. La Comtesse Hedwige Branicka, mère de Xavier Branicki.” (we permit ourselves to dedicate this beautiful species, which is very distinct from the known species of the genus Chlorochrysa, to Madam Countess H.B., mother of X.B. See also hedvigae)

Cyanistes teneriffae hedwigae (Dietzen, Garcia-del-Rey, Castro & Wink, 2008) [Bird Species New to Science, OrnithoNotes, Arpit Deomurari]
Cyanistes teneriffae hedwigae = Parus (caeruleus) teneriffae ssp.?
Cyanistes (teneriffae) hedwigii Dietzen, Garcia del Rey, Delgado Castro & Wink, 2007. [Bird Species New to Science, OrnithoNotes, Arpit Deomurari]
Cyanistes (teneriffae) hedwigii (Gran Canaria Blue Tit)

Apparently Arpit Deomurari did list the two versions for the Blue Tit subspecies. They are in alphabetical order here, but the different year suggests that he emended the name to the ending in feminine genitive. I do not know whether Deomurari can be considered an authority (only from Internet lists), but that does not matter now, nor is the vaidity of this new subspecies of importance here.
So we have a choice of Hedwig dedications, all for one female name Hedwig (albeit not the same Hedwig, the countess's name is given as Hedwige, which could not be a criterium in latinization).
Jan van der Brugge

And; why couldn´t this eponym be intended for a (Mr.) Susan connected to either Delattre or Verreaux?
That Salomon Müller (NB - not the only Müller around at this time, which doesn't make things easier...) named a bird from the Verreaux collection seems indeed rather improbable, and this intrigued me at first too.
Sharpe 1881 wrote:
The specimens marked as T. susanii in the Leiden Museum are Pycnonotus pusillus of Salvadori. There can, however, be no doubt that the actual type of Bonaparte's supposed species "in Mus. Verr." is now in the British Museum, which purchased two specimens from the Maison Verreaux in 1852."
If there are birds in Leiden labelled susanni (by Salomon Müller?), but that are another (completely different!) species, it seems most likely that Bonaparte took the name from there, but then messed things up and published it in association with the description of another bird. If so, we won't find any explanation to the name by researching the particulars of Bonaparte's type specimen...

Last edited:
Alberto, nice to see a face behind a name!

However, I don´t understand a single word of Spanish (except for Holá), and I don´t trust any automated translation engine as a base of reference for my texts, thereby I would like you to put it in writing ...

That is; if you´ve found any additional info regarding "our" lady "Rosita"? Full name, birth, dates, places, etc., etc. ?

Björn

PS. Being an illustrator myself I can only add: Looks like some pretty nice bird paintings behind you ... Keep it up!
--

Last edited:
Very nice video about love, science and Mexican history.

I am just curious about another statement you made here...

Taphrospilus: about Rafael Montes de Oca, maybe I could obtain more information in the local register (because i live in the born city of Montes de Oca)

Did you find the time to investigate on him?

Alberto, today's HBW Alive Key have those eponyms explained as:
rositae
Rosalía "Rosita" Sumichrast née Nivon (d. 1891) Mexican wife of Swiss naturalist François Sumichrast (José Lobato García and Björn Bergenholtz in litt.) (Passerina).
ocai
Rafael Montes de Oca (fl. 1884) Mexican artist, botanist, naturalist (syn. Agyrtria cyanocephala, Pipilo).
Did you pick up any details to add? Or anything contradictory? On either one?

Nothing new just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Rosita's Bunting Passerina rositae G. N. Lawrence, 1874 [Alt. Rose-bellied Bunting]
Rosita Sumicrast was the wife of Adrien de Sumicrast (q.v.).

Here we can find far more about her.

Rosalia Nivon de Sumichrast (1838-1891)
Birth1838 Santo Domingo, Santiago Niltepec, Oaxaca, Mexico
Marriage6 Jul 1870 Heroica Ciudad de Juchitán de Zaragoza, Juchitán de Zaragoza, Oaxaca, Mexico
Death31 Dec 1891 Distrito Federal, Mexico
Record information.
FatherJean Antoine Frederic Nivón Bovet (1811-1881)
MotherAnastasia Fuentes
Spouse

Adrien Louis Jean François Sumichrast (also Francis E. Sumichrast; b. 15. Oktober 1828 in Yvorne; † 26. September 1882 in Tonalá

Attachments

• 004976570_02009.jpg
    004976570_02009.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes I know what the OD says but still why is the name a diminutive of Rosa and not Rosalita. Could be this names honours the recently born daughter:

Rosa Antonia Victoria Sumichrast
Birth14 May 1871 Oaxaca, Mexico
Death30 Mar 1920 Soconusco, Acapetahua, Chiapas, Mexico
Record information.
FatherFrancisco Sumichrast
Record information.
MotherRosalia Nivon de Sumichrast (1838-1891)

Attachments

• 004922380_01659.jpg
    004922380_01659.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back