• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Had a quite memorable morning at the local reserve. Pick of the bunch :

Singing Cettis' Warblers, 3 at a guess
1 Little Grebe (a site tick for me),
1 Merlin on a low flight across the old broad & 2 Snipe come in to land on the island.
A male Marsh Harrier swooping at the waterfowl in front of the brick hide was a first, never seen one hunting over open water like that before..... A quite stunning view, so close.

Could it get any better ??? ... Well, yes actually .....

..... 4 Waxwing down along the Lackford Run B :) B :)

Oh Yes Andrew !!! .... both Andrew's !

Colin, I have to admit the Merlin certainly wasn't an instant id. Had to go away & consult the book. But .... tapering pointed wings which were darker toward the points, noticeably shorter tail than Kestrel. General shape not too far removed from a Hobby.

Oh ... and a chinese water deer on the meadow

That sounds fantastic Carlos..... Spookily enough, I've got a meeting up in Norwich in a couple of weeks time and thought I might have an afternoon spare....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back