• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2023 (2 Viewers)

Waited for the rain to pass yesterday and then headed up to RSPB Gwenffrwd Dinas. A stunning little reserve. West of Bannau Brycheiniog yet south of Eryri. Will head up again over Whitsun as it really is at its best at dawn.

3 Garden Warblers were were singing near the car park. And I shared some blueberry pancakes with the boy in the picnic area. Cuckoo also heard calling here. Following the boardwalk there were plenty of Willow Warblers/ Blackcaps etc.

I need to come back up without the boy as he he gets very anxious near livestock. There’s an almost constant whistling sound coming through his nose. Which is very annoying when your hearing isn’t great like mine😂 I’m sure I heard a Wood Warbler but wasn’t 100%. Redstarts were present in good numbers and we also saw a couple of Pied Flycatchers. Cracking to bump into Terry again. Met him on a pelagic out of Pembs a couple of years ago. He’s going for the Great Reed Warbler today so good luck with that Terry👍

Tried the hill by Llyn Brianne afterwards but nothing doing other than a few Willow Warblers. And OH was beginning to get a little impatient so it was time to go. Can’t recommend RSPB Gwenffrwd Dinas enough. Especially in spring.

174. Common Redstart
175. Pied Flycatcher

Had loads of family duties this weekend. But when my OH got back from shopping at 2 this afternoon I took the opportunity to duck out.

Parked up in the Forest of Dean and had a really enjoyable walk to where the Iberian ChiffChaff had been seen. Had a brief but good view and it was singing regularly. A lovely place and a lifer in the bag.

Next it was off to Worcestershire. Good to bump into Kathy and Lee from Blaenavon again. Lee was quite right when he said he was surprised that the bird news services put the news out about the Grebes given the time of the year. Also year ticked Little Ringed Plover on one of the pools.

A really enjoyable afternoon’s birding. The weather was great and the locations were absolutely beautiful.

177. Iberian ChiffChaff. Lifer #6 🎉
178. Black-necked Grebe
179. Little Ringed Plover

Life list now 320

Attachments

• 765A4E57-040E-45D4-AAEB-3E7B8C1C65DF.jpeg
    765A4E57-040E-45D4-AAEB-3E7B8C1C65DF.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
Had loads of family duties this weekend. But when my OH got back from shopping at 2 this afternoon I took the opportunity to duck out.

Parked up in the Forest of Dean and had a really enjoyable walk to where the Iberian ChiffChaff had been seen. Had a brief but good view and it was singing regularly. A lovely place and a lifer in the bag.

Seems you had very nice weather, and for sure an awesome view!!

Where did you park? I'm probably going for Wood White in cinderford on thursday and might give it a go if I have enough time left.

Hi Owen. I parked where BirdGuides gives you directions to which is just outside of Cinderford. It’s just over a mile and a half walk but it’s a very enjoyable walk. Only space for 4 or 5 cars due to the number of fridges dumped? there. It’s only the small car park that is scruffy. BirdGuides tells you to drive along the track but there is a barrier there so no chance.

The pin is where I parked. There’s likely to be closer spots but this is where BirdGuides directed me.

Good luck

Rich

Attachments

• 22DE2FBA-9A4B-418A-9298-3C259CAEB877.png
    22DE2FBA-9A4B-418A-9298-3C259CAEB877.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 882658F9-17C6-4CCF-AD65-AF373AE77736.png
    882658F9-17C6-4CCF-AD65-AF373AE77736.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Thought for a second that was the same track as the wood whites as your parking description is very similar right down to the barrier and fly tipping but that is about the same position north of the main road as yours is south. Should be able to combine the two if the conditions are good for the whites though. Might even try the chiffchaff first as it'll be active before the butterflies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back