• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipiter and Gallinago from Palawan (Philippines) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

Thanks for commenting those two identifications from Maoyon (snipe) and Narra (Sparrowhawk) in Palawan (sept 2017).

Cheers

Attachments

• gallinagosp1.JPG
    gallinagosp1.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 55
  • gallinagosp2.JPG
    gallinagosp2.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Accipiter_sp.JPG
    Accipiter_sp.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 64
I think the accipiter is a juvenile Chinese Sparrowhawk - it doesn't seem to have the yellow eyering of the similar Japanese.

The dark coverts and shortish bill on the snipe suggest Pin-tailed or Swinhoe's. The second image seems to show the outer tail-feathers being narrower than the central ones, suggesting Pin-tailed.

Thank you Andy!

No other opinion, especially on the snipe?

I agree with Chinese Sparrowhawk for the Accipiter.

I think that the snipe is probably a better fit for Swinhoe's. The tail feathers seem to become progressively narrower towards the outermost feathers (with some of the barred feathers still relatively broad), OK for Swinhoe's (http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/10/swinhoes-and-pin-tailed-snipes-display-sounds/picture1ss-2/). They don't seem to transition abruptly into pins, as on Pintail (http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/10/swinhoes-and-pin-tailed-snipes-display-sounds/picture1ps-2/).

Out of interest, would anyone happen to know if there is a difference in the number of pairs of orange (central) tail feathers between these two? There seem to be consistently more on images of Pintail that I look at.

Steve

I think that the snipe is probably a better fit for Swinhoe's. The tail feathers seem to become progressively narrower towards the outermost feathers (with some of the barred feathers still relatively broad), OK for Swinhoe's (http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/10/swinhoes-and-pin-tailed-snipes-display-sounds/picture1ss-2/). They don't seem to transition abruptly into pins, as on Pintail (http://birdingfrontiers.com/2014/01/10/swinhoes-and-pin-tailed-snipes-display-sounds/picture1ps-2/).

Out of interest, would anyone happen to know if there is a difference in the number of pairs of orange (central) tail feathers between these two? There seem to be consistently more on images of Pintail that I look at.

Steve

That's great to read that. I've seen only a couple of each properly, so I will not answer your question, but I was almost sure that snipe was a Swinhoe. The commonest species there, the call, the feeling at first sight, and behaviour, all matched perfectly. However, I posted it on Wild Bird Photographer of the Philippines (Facebook) and no one managed to confirmed or suggest otherwise.

Glad that someone with more experience confirmed my identification.

Happy birding all

Agree with Steve on the snipe being a better choice for Swinhoe's and the reason he metioned.

JanJ

Steve

Thanks for this, Steve. It was very informative. I think I should read the full Birding Frontiers article.

Hi Steve,
I think you are correct, pin-tailed has a lot more orange central tail feathers than swinhoe's and common snipe has the most with almost all the tail feathers being orange. How this translates into an observable field criterion is another matter.

Hi Steve,
I think you are correct, pin-tailed has a lot more orange central tail feathers than swinhoe's and common snipe has the most with almost all the tail feathers being orange. How this translates into an observable field criterion is another matter.

Thanks for the reply, Bryon.

It does seem to be a rule of thumb that Pintail has more orange in its tail than does Swinhoe's, so much so that you have to wonder if a more concrete rule couldn't be generated from it. This would be helpful as the 'pins' of Pintail are so hard to see in the field (and in all but the very sharpest of photos) that I fancy they remain concealed even when much of the rest of the tail is opened. If it could be said that there was a certain number of orange tail feathers beyond which Swinhoe's went out of the reckoning, then that would simplify matters immensely!

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Steve

Hi all,
Valéry produced an evocative and instructional image with photo #2 for any student of snipe identification. Even the amount of leg projection is also better for Swinhoe's. It is all but impossible to see the splines on pin-tailed when it is not displaying.The skin preparation may have been part of it but they are locked in beneath the central pair even in the hand. Wet Swinhoe's OTF's may also look like pintails!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back