• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need a question answered. (1 Viewer)

TheBirdGarden

I don't have the money
This has been bugging me for ages and I keep asking myself on why do I only see pied wagtails in the concrete jungle? I am not too sure on grey wagtails but I have only ever seen pied wagtails in parking lots and streets, It is going through my head that they are more common on where there is concrete.

I need answers :-O

Its quite simple really. The Pied Wagtail has taken advantage of being able to tolereate close contact with humans, to occupy that niche, i.e. there is plenty of food (particularly insects) in our conurbations. Also, concrete of course absorbs heat, so these areas tend to be warmer than anywhere else, a perfect place for insects.

I havn't really explained it that well, but there we are.

Its quite simple really. The Pied Wagtail has taken advantage of being able to tolereate close contact with humans, to occupy that niche, i.e. there is plenty of food (particularly insects) in our conurbations. Also, concrete of course absorbs heat, so these areas tend to be warmer than anywhere else, a perfect place for insects.

I havn't really explained it that well, but there we are.

And it seems, from my own experience at least, that Grey Wagtails are beginning to follow suit. I see more of them in towns these days...

Pied wags like flat, open spaces, you'll find then on short grass... big lawns, playing fields, short pasture, also beaches, lake shores etc.. so it's only a short ecological jump to nice flat carparks.

Grey Wags are usually assosiated with fast flowing rivers.. which tend to be rocky places, so presumably 'rocky' man made structures could be attractive for them, if there's enough insects to eat

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back