• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping Lists (1 Viewer)

I fear this is a topic somewhat fraught with different opinions and why not, everybody keeps different kinds of lists.

I have kept a casual bird list over the last few years and want to organize it into lists for separate years and an overall life list of every bird observed to date. Reading online people typically exclude recording sub species and hybrids. This is where i get into a muddle (probably overthinking). Firstly do you record hybrids and sub-species? I feel with sub-species there is a chance they may one day get categorised as a distinct species and if not recorded now then they may not make it back onto the list at a later date if not seen again.

I recently spotted a 'blue-headed wagtail' as this is a subspecies of yellow wagtail would you record this just as 'Yellow Wagtail' , i am happy to do this but don't want to lose the record of seeing the 'blue-headed' variety.

Do you record your sub-species and hybrids on a separate list?

I have kind of organized an excel spreadsheet which does solve a lot of problems as you can use the sort and filter tools to show exactly what you want but after having a computer failure i lost two years of lists which was gutting! I wish to produce my lists in a notebook as this cannot get deleted and is a nice tactile object. Problem with notebooks is the limit on space and needing to be clever in how it is laid out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Ben

I fear this is a topic somewhat fraught with different opinions and why not, everybody keeps different kinds of lists.

I have kept a casual bird list over the last few years and want to organize it into lists for separate years and an overall life list of every bird observed to date. Reading online people typically exclude recording sub species and hybrids. This is where i get into a muddle (probably overthinking). Firstly do you record hybrids and sub-species? I feel with sub-species there is a chance they may one day get categorised as a distinct species and if not recorded now then they may not make it back onto the list at a later date if not seen again.

I recently spotted a 'blue-headed wagtail' as this is a subspecies of yellow wagtail would you record this just as 'Yellow Wagtail' , i am happy to do this but don't want to lose the record of seeing the 'blue-headed' variety.

Do you record your sub-species and hybrids on a separate list?

I have kind of organized an excel spreadsheet which does solve a lot of problems as you can use the sort and filter tools to show exactly what you want but after having a computer failure i lost two years of lists which was gutting! I wish to produce my lists in a notebook as this cannot get deleted and is a nice tactile object. Problem with notebooks is the limit on space and needing to be clever in how it is laid out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Ben
Go to this site, download the programme and you can then download a list for pretty much any country and print it out as hard copy if you so desire and many sub-species are included.

Most serious birders will record sub-species.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back