• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you wished for a bird in your Garden, what would it be? (1 Viewer)

A strange one to add but I would love to see a house sparrow in the garden!! - have regular tree creepers. nuthatches, tawny owl, 5 species of tits, had all 3 woodpeckers, barn owl flies through, 20,000+ pink foots fly over most days and we have seen 3 harrier species from the house - but no house sparrow!!

For me; it would be a humming bird. I had a small glass feeder this summer, but it was in a bit of a conspicuous spot on our deck and I only saw one hummer and it didn't even stop at the feeder :( Any advice for attracting these beautiful birds, anyone?

Well got the Jay a few weeks ago :t:

Nuthatch now please

Glad this thread has been resurrected, well the Nuthatch eventually came and stayed for a month or two, so that's that one put to bed.

Since then have had some good uns with Woodcock and a long staying Mealy Redpoll, so Now it would have to be Yellowhammer (highly unlikely in this part of Cheshire), so a realistic chance with Waxwing .....

I'd like a red-breasted nuthatch and an evening grosbeak, since neither are on my yard list yet this year. Last time we had an evening grosbeak was 2008 so maybe it's time? If they both show up, we'd have an even 100 species.

A Yank warbler (preferably new to the UK, ie Black-throated Blue) that turns up in December and stays into the New Year. That way, get two charitable contributions (returning year-listers will get a discount!)....to Ads' PNG fund!! ;)
No problems with access or parking at my gaff - although might be a few people I'd not let in to see it....just for the fun of it!

Last edited:
My bird would have to be a Wryneck,a garden 4 miles away was lucky enough to have one in 2013.I am fortunate to have had a yellow browed warbler a few years ago though,foz, wolverhampton

I only have a yard in a busy town center estate, my highlight was around 2 yrs ago I got 1 Siskin on my feeders for about 5 mins, however I get plenty of birds flying over as I don't live far from the river and North Tees Marshes, so my no1 would be Bohemian Waxwing, think I'd pass out if I seen it though with shock, my garden regulars are House Sparrow, Blackbirds, Pigeon and the occasional Blue tits, did have a pair what come each day last year, cost me a bomb buying live meal worms, however they got very tame and would feed inches from but never on my hand, they young fledged and I never seen them again. Don't know if the one what comes now and again is the same bird.

Damian

A yellowhammer, hobby or any owl species. They are all living about 10 minutes down the road in my local nature reserve 'Risley Moss' so it's not impossible even if they were just flying over... :t:

Something BIG. Vulture, Eagle, Heron, Cooper's Hawk. And MEAN. Bobcat, Black Snake, Rattler. All I gots is tweets and woodpeckers. No dramas at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back