• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoulder injury: time to get a monopod? (1 Viewer)

contini

I have recently been diagnosed with tendinitis around my shoulder/collar bone area which I think may be due to chasing around birds with my canon eos 450 + 250mm lens. The camera+lens is not very heavy but I presume the injury is due to repeatedly raising and lowering my arms when chasing these beautiful birds. Once I get started, I have difficulty stopping. Now my shoulder seems to get aggravated whenever I take a few pictures.

So I'm thinking it is time to get a monopod. Let me first say why I think I want a monopod instead of a tripod. I'm not one of these bird photographers who sits around and waits for the bird: instead, I go searching for them. And I have found my ways of being able to get close to birds with my relatively short lens in order to get somewhat decent photos. So I need something that I can move around easily which points me towards a monopod instead of a tripod. I want it to be light weight so that I can easily move it, and the main points are that I won't have to raise my arm high to take pictures of the birds and the monopod will provide most of the support of the weight of the camera.

Now the question is which one to buy? I know nothing about these monopods so I hope somebody here can give me advice that fits my needs. I saw one bird photography lecture where the photographer had some Manfrotto monopod (I'm not sure which one) with the 222 joystick head. First question is whether that sounds like something that is right for me, the second is which Manfrotto monopod is the right one for me (I was considering the Manfrotto MF 694 Magfibre Monopod but I have no idea really), and the third possible question is whether the joystick head will fit it. And then if you have any pointers for me that I should read up on, then I would really appreciate it. I haven't readily found any posts of people in a similar situation to mine but maybe I have not looked enough and if that is the case then I apologise.

Thank you!

hi ,I've used monopods all the time, and wont do without one, just like you i'm on the move, after birds when i'm out, you be surprised how good they are & how much slower you can use your shutterspeed, much better than handheld,plus they are much quicker to use than tripod, I've used the manfrotto & GIOTTOS monopods , plus giottos head ,I'VE had lenses up to the size of 600 f4 on these without any problems, buy one you wont regret it .....mark. ( i find that ballheads are better)

Last edited:
I've never really got on with monopods. Where weight's an issue I have always preferred using a very lightweight tripod in combination with a small angled 50mm scope (angled to keep the height down). Presumably this would work just as well for a camera set up. There are several such tripods out there - the Manfrotto Digi for example.

However, I suspect that the Trek Pod - a combo walking pole/monopod/tripod (yes really!) would be the ideal solution - see http://www.trek-tech.com/ It's available from warehouse express and reviews on the internet seem quite favourable,

John

Manfrotto 681B, absolute bargain at around £45 in the UK. Able to take anything up to & including a 600 f4. Topped off with a MN 393 long lens bracket makes a very versitile support.
Regards
Rob

Last edited:
I use a Manfrotto 680B Monopod with 234RC head with my 400mm f5.6 and the combo works really well. One thing thought you need a good technique with a monopod - if you just stick it up straight in front of you it will not work that great.

I use a Manfrotto 680B Monopod with 234RC head with my 400mm f5.6 and the combo works really well. One thing thought you need a good technique with a monopod - if you just stick it up straight in front of you it will not work that great.
Sound acvice Roy, I have found best way to use my monopod is with it leaning towards me with my legs slightly open ie forming a tripod by if that makes sense? correct me if i'm talking C***?
My own monopod is a Giotto's and easily takes heavy camera set ups.
Cheerio
Brian

Last edited:
I've never really got on with monopods. Where weight's an issue I have always preferred using a very lightweight tripod in combination with a small angled 50mm scope (angled to keep the height down). Presumably this would work just as well for a camera set up. There are several such tripods out there - the Manfrotto Digi for example.

However, I suspect that the Trek Pod - a combo walking pole/monopod/tripod (yes really!) would be the ideal solution - see http://www.trek-tech.com/ It's available from warehouse express and reviews on the internet seem quite favourable,

John

Thank you for your suggestion, John: I will look into it! And thanks everybody for their replies!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back