• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinidad - Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

Also, would like to know if the small white shoulder patch is an indicator. The attached image has this bird as the first image and other pictures from google.

Nice photos bugmat! I do not think there should be anything controversial about calling that a White-tailed Hawk. Wing shape (long and quite pointed with a thinning from secondaries to and through primaries), upper parts coloration, and the tail make it look quite straightforward to me unless I'm missing something.

Attachments

• Image 37.jpg
    Image 37.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 73
Nice photos bugmat! I do not think there should be anything controversial about calling that a White-tailed Hawk. Wing shape (long and quite pointed with a thinning from secondaries to and through primaries), upper parts coloration, and the tail make it look quite straightforward to me unless I'm missing something.

Thanks - things take quite a bit sometimes with getting reports confirmed (or denied).

Some more pictures of the hawk from fellow birder Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 66
Detailed pics from fellow birder Nigel Part 1

Attachments

• IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2852.JPG
    IMG_2852.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2853.JPG
    IMG_2853.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 76
Detailed pics from fellow birder Nigel Part 2

Attachments

• IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2855.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 14
Just to have all feedback so far on the bird in this thread, see below an initial assessment from Bill Clark from Raptours. Suggests a hybrid of Savanna Hawk and White-tailed Hawk with reasons.

Hi Rashid,

Sergio has been ill and has not had time to study these photos.
However, I have spent a little time looking at the 18 photos of this unusual buteonine and came to these conclusions:

1. Overall, it looks like an aberrant Savannah Hawk.

2. It is in adult plumage.

3. It is not a black hawk of either species, as its plumage is not black. Tail appears like a juvenile CBH or Basic II GBH, but not like an adult.

4. Wing shape is long with pointed wingtips, like a White-tailed Hawk, and not like a Savannah or either black-hawk. Adult tail is like White-tailed. Tails of Savannah and black hawks are blackish with white band. Note also that when perched, the wingtips exceed the tail tip, but not as much as on pure WTHs. The wingtips fall short of the tail tip on the other species.

I believe that it is a hybrid between a Savannah and a White-tailed Hawk. FL&C state that WTH is a rare resident of Trinidad.
Please feel free to ask any questions about this hybrid.

I will be presenting a paper on natural raptor hybrids at the upcoming Raptor Research Foundation meeting in November. Could you ask the photographers if I could use their images in the talk, with photo credits, of course.

Cheers, Bill

Hybrid is an interesting theory. However, if the overall coloration is not seen as ruling out a pure White-tailed Hawk, I am not sure I see a strong argument against a non-hybrid White-tailed Hawk.

I would highly recommend posting the photos and a summary of the discussion so far to the FB group "Advanced Bird ID." Many experts in that group and might get some more interesting thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back