• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID, Cameron Cty, TX, USA (1 Viewer)

River Girl

Supporter
United States
I saw this hawk today on the power post, near Resaca de la Palma. The all white breast and under is expected for White-tailed Hawk but the wing color is not right. Please id. Thank you?Hawk-1131.jpg?Hawk-2-1124.jpg

It's either a pale-morph ferruginous hawk (juvenile, so no rufous thighs) or an extremely pale (Krider's type) red-tailed hawk. Both have been reported near that location this time of year on e-bird.

Any larger photos? We might be able to see faint spotting on the breast or thighs, which might help. (e.g a ghost of a belly band => red-tail; hints of a bib or thigh spots would be better for ferruginous)

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll go with Red-tailed as the most likely.
It's either a pale-morph ferruginous hawk (juvenile, so no rufous thighs) or an extremely pale (Krider's type) red-tailed hawk. Both have been reported near that location this time of year on e-bird.

Any larger photos? We might be able to see faint spotting on the breast or thighs, which might help. (e.g a ghost of a belly band => red-tail; hints of a bib or thigh spots would be better for ferruginous)
Unfortunately I don't have other photos. We were just off the road in heavy traffic.

Thank you for those tips. I'll use them when looking at other raptors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back