• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Fred_Swihart

Hello,
I recently bought my first digiscoping setup. I have a Nikon ED82 fieldscope, Nikon P4 camera, and the FSB-4 bracket. I have been having alot of fun with it but would like to learn more about different camera settings. Right now I have it pretty much setup like Andys posted camera settings. That works really nice for pics with plenty of light. However, I am mostly using mine for photographing deer in low light conditions. I was wondering if there was settings that would improve my pics in low light? I have been turning the ISO up to 400 and turning the white balance down and this seems to be helping some. I run in the A mode when I am doing this. I have also tried some of the different preset scene modes. The nightlandscape mode is giving me the brightest pics but I sometimes have focusing problems. Anys suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am totally new to cameras as well so most of the settings I really dont understand.
Thanks
Fred Swihart

Hi Fred I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators at Bird Forum

I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer you some advice

D

would recommend a test session in the same lighting conditions you are expecting to be shooting in,,

try all settings the camera offers that affects light gathering abilities,, a bit of effort but is the only way to truly find out what the camera is capable of supporting to obtain your bst settings,, need to keep accurate notes,, I think in an hour you can really test the camera while maintaining similar light conditions,,

digiscoping in dim light is going to be tuff since there is a fair amount of light loss through all the glass involved,, unless your objects remain still for several seconds chances of good photos are going to be slim,, the deer may be more cooperative that many birds are,,

Just some general settings that I use and have had with good success:

White Balance = Auto
Center-weighted Exposure
Exposure Compensation = -1/3 to -1
Autofocus = single
Aperture Priority (f/5.6) and let camera select Shutter Speed
Continuous shooting

Fred,
Welcome to digiscoping at Birdforum. Can you post a typical photo that you've taken with exif info.
Neil.

Fred, try using one or two stops down and then increase your brightness and contrast in whatever photo enhancement software that you are using.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back