• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roof or Porro - Which view do you prefer. (1 Viewer)

bh46118

Here's some more troll bait for you to ponder.:-O Is the 3D view of the Porro more realistic, or do you find the roof more to your liking ?

My Nobilems view is somewhat more easy and relaxed than the ELSV, but that is also due the larger exit pupil... Quality porro can be strikingly sharp as best roofs, but the Fluoride glass used in roofs made colors nicer...

Everyone wish for Fluoride glass internall focussing porro in lightweight format...
But I think that this will stay in world of dreams...

Best regards

Deja vu -
Could this new thread be a re-tread, is it true?
Repeating through
I keep remembering the same theme
Do you remember it too?
Deja vu

Or at least a slight variation on the theme...

August 1, 2014 - Which binocular design is inherently more suitable for birding, porro or roof prism?

The chief question to ask is if roofs are inherently more popular than Porros or is the fact that the market is flooded with roofs because that was the direction that top manufacturers chose to go in, and it was monkey see, monkey do for the rest of the industry, and that the chief reason birders have migrated to roofs is due to the lack of good quality Porros on the market, particularly waterproof ones. It's sort of a chicken and egg question.

I always wondered that if Germany hadn't been split in two after WWII, with Zeiss Jena taking over production of Zeiss Porros, if Zeiss West would have continued to refine its line of Porros, that is, make WP 8x30s, 8x42s, 10x42s, etc. with updated AR coatings rather than the larger format Porros that became the Doctor Nobilem line or if they still would have abandoned the Porro and reinvented birding bins by refining the roof prism bin? That's one for historians to mull over.

<B>

Last edited:
Here's some more troll bait for you to ponder.:-O Is the 3D view of the Porro more realistic, or do you find the roof more to your liking ?
I prefer the roof view. The only problem is you have to spend $2K to get a view that is better through a roof than a
$500 porro like the Nikon SE or EII hence the popularity of the porro's. Some people prefer the view through these top porro's regardless of the price for their 3D view. I compared the Nikon SE and EII very closely to my Swarovski's 8x32 SV and decided I liked the view through the Swaro better. The price is a big motivation behind the porro's lasting in the marketplace at all. If the Nikon SE was $2K they would have been dead a long time ago. Overall the top roofs have got the porro's beat. The people who prefer porro's better hold onto to them because they are getting harder and harder to get.

With a Porro there`s far less manipulation of the light passing through to the eyes, which makes the view more natural to me, somehow I feel the roof compresses perspective more dramatically as a telephoto lens does.

Dennis makes a good point about how much more you need to spend on a roof to match the very best Porro`s, however I disagree that high end Porro`s remain popular, or price plays a role in seeking one out, I think for many using an SE or EII has come at the end of a journey of constant disappointment with roofs, at least it was for me.

I can see why roofs have cornered the market, they just look more modern, more cutting edge, and I suspect the vast majority of purchasers never ask or get offered to try a Porro even in a good outlet.

Obviously we all have our own opinions on what is a cracking view but I`v yet to try anything that can match my EII for outright pleasure.

The pendulum may swing back sometime when roofs have gone as far as they can, and if I`m still around with any luck the Porro will have some investment again.

Definitely...Porro!

I am now, Porro rich, and at the same time, porro Poor! It's been an interesting, short and fast journey through roofs and porros for me, but most certainly, I prefer Porros for my viewing pleasure. More realistic? Maybe, rather than a flatter field in the roofs, but they both work.

I do have some roofs to keep too, but they do a job (small, light travel, or woods use 6x) or have an alternate view (8x easy picture window) that I also appreciate and use. No high end stuff, but good solid performers, all thanks to the good advice given here on the Birdforums. So, thank you all for it! :t:

Last edited:
I know nothing about binoculars -/ am picking up my first pair, 8x32 Mojave roofs, next weekend /- BUT, I tried out a few binos recently at a store - mainly roof prisms like Monarch 7 8x30 or similar. The one pair that I enjoyed holding the most was a KOWA YF porro.

It wasn't so much the view through it, just the way it felt in my hands.

I went for the Leupold in the end partly because I got a great deal (thanks Eitanaltman) but mainly because I am pretty sure that the smaller size of the 32 roofs will mean I am much more likely to carry them with me.

[Then again it is entirely possible that I preferred the feel of the porros because they made me feel more like Jack Hawkins in The Cruel Sea?]

the-cruel-sea-3-c.jpg

Could a digital binocular like the Canon, or maybe an optically superb digital bin of the future, be given variable 3D processing without ruining the image ?:h?:

Roof no fit me, Kimosabe. Look at Jack Hawkin's hands and fingers and the guy in back of him looking though a pair of Porros. LOTS of real estate. With roofs, at least closed bridge roofs, particularly slim line models, there's very little to grip, and I run out of barrel before I run out of hand. WHERE'S THE BEEF? My fingers end up overlapping as if in prayer ("God, please don't let me drop this roof prism binocular").

Well, to each his own, but for me, give me Porros or give me an open hinge 7x36/42 roof. Otherwise, fagetaboutit!

Besides, isn't a "marine master" supposed to be using a 7x50 IF EP Porro like the Fuji FMT-SX or the Zeiss B/GA Classic?

Captain Cook, you want to chime in here?

Brock

Last edited:

I prefer a porro mostly because that design is the one I'm used to using. My small collection has been acquired over about 15 years when there were plenty of high performing reasonably priced porro prism bins to chose from.

The relatively enhanced 3d view is mostly enjoyable and possibly useful. That said any binoculars will show some depth of field.

That`s Stanley Baker holding the binocular, (in the front, don`t know back left !).

Have watched (and OWN) The Cruel Sea but can't recall that EXACT scene...it may be Denholm Elliot however as he is one of the 3 "newer" officers in the movie (who would be more well known for us American viewers as "Marcus Brody" in the Indiana Jones series of movies). The physical size and mouth area visible below the binocs appear to be more "him" than Donald Sinden or John Stratton ("Lockhart" and "Farraby" respectively).

GREAT MOVIE by the way...!

Porros have the better optics, but I prefer roofs. I guess that means i prefer ergonomics over optical qualities as long as the optical qualitirs are good enough.

Thanks for asking.

CG

Have watched (and OWN) The Cruel Sea but can't recall that EXACT scene...it may be Denholm Elliot however as he is one of the 3 "newer" officers in the movie (who would be more well known for us American viewers as "Marcus Brody" in the Indiana Jones series of movies). The physical size and mouth area visible below the binocs appear to be more "him" than Donald Sinden or John Stratton ("Lockhart" and "Farraby" respectively).

GREAT MOVIE by the way...!

Maybe we should start a thread of great movie scenes with binoculars in?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back