• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 EII (1 Viewer)

I see, are 74mm+ so rare?

Not rare, but one must be careful. Off of the top of my head, I'd guess that about 1/3rd can go to 74-75. The 8x32 SE has a max IPD of 74.1mm. The M7 8x30 is 73.2mm. The 8x42 EDG opens way up to 78.1mm. The 10x35 EII is 74.

This reminds me, I did try the M7 8X30 and it was just a shade less than I needed. I hadn't put 2+2 together to realize that it has the same max IPD and same exit pupil size of the EII.

Some of the older porros opened to just 71mm. I believe most of Nikon's Action and Aculon porros are spec'ed as having a max IPD of 72mm.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "Worldly"? Something that is "Worldly" doesn't necessarily perform any better than something that is less "Worldly." There is nothing wrong with liking the EII better.

The SF like my UVHD can be used to Bird in any environment without a second thought, the EII demands consideration and respect, or I suspect it will need attention before long.

I got my new Nikon 8x30 EII today and the quality is very impressive. Everything is perfect on it. I forgot how good they are. HaHa! Beautiful wide FOV. I don't think there is anything better under $1500. For $400 there is nothing that approaches it for value. Only the top alphas MIGHT be a little better in some ways but the EII is better in other ways. For a lot of people regardless of price I think the EII might be one of the best binoculars they are ever going to look through.

Last edited:
And here we go.

For an infamous poster that already had more posts than anyone on this thread- before he had one on hand. Now......the thread will, like most that he takes a fancy to, will go on and on ad nauseam.

I got my new Nikon 8x30 EII today and the quality is very impressive. Everything is perfect on it. I forgot how good they are. HaHa! Beautiful wide FOV. I don't think there is anything better under $1500. For $400 there is nothing that approaches it for value. Only the top alphas MIGHT be a little better in some ways but the EII is better in other ways. For a lot of people regardless of price I think the EII might be one of the best binoculars they are ever going to look through.

HA ha, April fool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA ha, April fool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No April Fool. The EII's are very good. Best binoculars I have ever used under $1500. Do you like the EII's better than the SE's. I think I prefer the bigger FOV of the EII's. Very nice. I like the vintage look of the EII's better than the SE's also.

The SE delivers the more accurate view in terms of low distortion and flat field, also the ergonomics are better and it feels more robust, but the EII is the one I enjoy most, so much so I sold the SE to fund my Ultravid, this pairing gives me the all weather bin I need and the EII`s unique view I crave.

The SE delivers the more accurate view in terms of low distortion and flat field, also the ergonomics are better and it feels more robust, but the EII is the one I enjoy most, so much so I sold the SE to fund my Ultravid, this pairing gives me the all weather bin I need and the EII`s unique view I crave.
I have a similar pairing with the EII now for my widefield binocular and the Swarovski 8x32 SV instead of your Ultravid for my waterproof binocular. How do you like the Ultravid? Is it the 8x32 HD?

I have a similar pairing with the EII now for my widefield binocular and the Swarovski 8x32 SV instead of your Ultravid for my waterproof binocular. How do you like the Ultravid? Is it the 8x32 HD?

8x42HD, its a small step behind the new HD+ but I bought from a dealer making way for the HD+ so got a deal too good to miss, the Ultravid seduces me, the SF and SV leaves me unemotional.

I have a similar pairing with the EII now for my widefield binocular and the Swarovski 8x32 SV.........

But it is more than just the wider FOV of the Nikon EII. It is the FOV coupled with the realistic presentation of a poro and the Nikon color balance that can present a spectacular view under the right conditions. In some ways, comparing the SV to the EII is an apples and oranges endeavor. Each are excellent in their own way. What is better comes down to how you view and what you are viewing at the time.

8x42HD, its a small step behind the new HD+ but I bought from a dealer making way for the HD+ so got a deal too good to miss, the Ultravid seduces me, the SF and SV leaves me unemotional.

John ..... I wonder if it is the warmer color balance Nikon and especially Leica are known for that works for you?

But it is more than just the wider FOV of the Nikon EII. It is the FOV coupled with the realistic presentation of a poro and the Nikon color balance that can present a spectacular view under the right conditions. In some ways, comparing the SV to the EII is an apples and oranges endeavor. Each are excellent in their own way. What is better comes down to how you view and what you are viewing at the time.

John ..... I wonder if it is the warmer color balance Nikon and especially Leica are known for that works for you?
True. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I really noticed the 3D effect of the EII this time and the realistic view when I was doing a side by side with the SV's. The EII is definitely the best binocular on the market for it's price. Both are excellent binoculars. I can't really say the EII is better than the SV but in ways it is and in ways the SV is better. The SV is an awesome binocular and if you need waterproof it is good choice in a roof. If you are on budget you can't beat the EII.

Bruce, it may well be, when I`v not used the EII for a while and I take it out with me, it just blows me away all over again so good is the view.

The Leica just works well in any situation.

When I get to try a perfect SF though I may well be drawn to spend on Zeiss.

Bruce, it may well be, when I`v not used the EII for a while and I take it out with me, it just blows me away all over again so good is the view.

The Leica just works well in any situation.

When I get to try a perfect SF though I may well be drawn to spend on Zeiss.
Good luck on finding a perfect Zeiss SF but you may not like the color balance which I hear is neutral. I think Bruce is right in that you are drawn to the warmer color balances of the Nikon and the Leica both of which are warmer than especially a Zeiss. The Leica's always seem like they have that warm inviting natural color balance even on the Trinovids. That is why I always liked the Trinovids so much. Wnen you look at something with them it just seems so natural and almost cozy and warm. Like a fireplace burning in the living room.

I would not have any qualms about buying a Zeiss SF at this point. They have been in production for over 6 months now, which should be more than enough time to work out any early production wrinkles. I found the color balance of a pre-production unit to be quite neutral in the brief time I had with it outdoors looking at just one scene. In direct comparison to my Nikon EDG 10X42, I preferred the more neutral Zeiss presentation, and I really like the Nikon look. The perceived contrast was better so the detail seemed to pop out more.

When you have a $585 Porro (now $414) that matches the image of a $2,600 roof, as Bruce commented, I think the question should be why has it taken so long before we had two EII threads almost next door to each other?

brokenroller

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back