• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 300mm f/4 VR (2 Viewers)

As far as I know there is a waiting list and Nikon only releases very few every now and then. Even people from the US find it difficult to locate a copy currently.

Nikon should either ship a LOT of these soon or be more forthcoming about what's going on. It is reminding me of the recent fiasco with the 70-300mm lens for the Nikon 1 system that was announced, supposedly released, but then nobody could get it for months on end with no explanation from Nikon. As a customer I often feel Nikon is a million miles away from me, in outer space.

Dave

I haven't been able to get one in Hong Kong yet although I heard there was a small delivery two weeks ago. I also tried in Sydney but they haven't heard when they will get their first shipment.
I'll be checking the shops in HK this week.
Neil.

micloi,
Those images continue to look quite good to me, especially considering you used a 2X or 1.7X teleconverter and I assume these are still hand-held. You must be feeling rather satisfied?
Dave

Still handheld and quite low shutter speeds considering the focal length and moving targets so yes, very satisfied. I feel I can take as good photos as with the Sigma 150-600mm at 1/4th the weight.

That review had been out for a bit. There does indeed seem to be a VR issue for some batches, thankfully all 3 copies I tried in the UK, possibly from the same batch, were perfectly fine.

I was talking to a couple of camera shop managers and they said they are having a problem getting the 300vr as there is none available. I wonder if there is a problem at the manufacturing end or if demand is outstripping supply?

Regards Gerard.

Used the D7200 for these (exif says D5300 as I had to trick Photoshop to read the raw files).

The 1.4x is seamless.
With the 1.7x you lose 3D AF and it becomes slower but still works well, I could track gulls so bigger and slower birds should cause no problems. Would not tackle swallows with the 1.7x though.

I was talking to a couple of camera shop managers and they said they are having a problem getting the 300vr as there is none available. I wonder if there is a problem at the manufacturing end or if demand is outstripping supply?

Regards Gerard.

The second shipment turned up in the stores in Hong Kong today (28th March). The first shipment in first week of February was small and sold out quickly.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back