• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Glasgow or Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Hi,
the next few days I'll be in Glasgow and Edinburgh mainly to visit those two cities. But maybe I might squeeze in a few hours for birding. What localities could I visit in the Region and what are the possibilities to find Scottish Crossbill (and how do you identify them?), Red Grouse and other specialties that can't be found (easily) in germany?

A big thank you in advance!

Maffong

Hi Maffong

While you're waiting for some local input, you might like to have a look at some of the Opus articles, which you can access here.

I don't know the Glasgow area at all, but Baron's Haugh seems to be a good place to go.

In the Ediinburgh area, I can thoroughly recommend Musselburgh and Aberlady Bay.

Enjoy!

Scottish Crossbill is an imaginary bird, invented to help generate funds for habitat conservation (much needed, but this wasn't the best way to go about it) - but don't waste time trying to find any 8-P

If you want to see the nearest equivalent (Parrot Crossbill: Kiefernkreuzschnabel), you need to head up to the native Scots Pine forests around Aviemore on Speyside - quite a long way from Glasgow or Edinburgh (220-230 km!).

Hi,
the next few days I'll be in Glasgow and Edinburgh mainly to visit those two cities. But maybe I might squeeze in a few hours for birding. What localities could I visit in the Region and what are the possibilities to find Scottish Crossbill (and how do you identify them?), Red Grouse and other specialties that can't be found (easily) in germany?

A big thank you in advance!

Maffong

Hi Maffong

The most accessible site is Musselburgh, get a bus from Princes Street (15, 26, 44, 113) and get off at the first stop after the River Esk. Follow the river to the mouth and you will get to the ash lagoons. There's a drake Surf Scoter there as well as good views of Long-tailed Duck and Velvet Scoter among others. There was a Shore Lark there this weekend, small numbers of Twite there too.

David

Red Grouse are more difficult unless you have a car. There are dense populations in the Lammermuir Hills south of Haddington but as a recent paper on Merlins there in British Birds has pointed out the intensification of management for them there has b@ggered the other wildlife there.

Pink-footed Geese are still around and Barnacles were reported yesterday. There also an American Wigeon in Fife and Green-winged Teal thereabouts too. There are Iceland and Glaucous Gulls on the North Sea Coast but you need some luck with those. The @birdinglothian twitter feed is a good source of news.

David

Baron's Haugh is well worth a visit, and you should see Gadwall and maybe Water Rail.

RSPB Lochwinnoch is another good site, with a redhead Smew there right now. A drake Hooded Merganser has prompted some speculation this winter.

Hogganfield Loch in the north of Glasgow is also worth a visit. Hope you have a good time, whatever you do, and see a lot of nice birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back