• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ucayali, Peru - local contacts and/or recommended spots? (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody,

Since I'm currently based in Peru, I'm slowly working towards my goal of birding in every one of Peru's regions! To that effect, I'll be taking a week-long trip to Ucayali with another friend in August. We'll be flying into and out of Pucallpa and probably will try to stay within 100 km of the city.
The issue we are running into in terms of planning is that there just doesn't seem to be much birding happening in that whole department, besides the crazy LSU expeditions, which we obviously don't have the means to replicate! We'll obviously check out Yarinacocha and there are a couple lodges on the shores of Cashibococha which look like a much better alternative to sleeping in the city itself. And that seems to be about it as far as Ucayali's birding infrastructure goes!
So I'm reaching out to all you crazy world birders to know if anyone has any recommendations, be it a local guide who knows the birds, a hidden little lodge or research station with bunk beds for visitors, a native community within a few hours of Pucallpa where tourists can stay and some trails, or even a nice patch of forest that can be reached with a rental car.

Many thanks in advance!
Thibaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back