• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch DCF Mk3 8x42 good? (1 Viewer)

I'm buying my first binoculars, and the budget is about ~300e.
In Finland everything is expensive, but I found these Nikon binoculars for 266€ in German's amazon.

Are these a good choice? Or is there any better options for that price?

E: And then there's for example cheaper ones like Prostaff 7. Is it really big difference between ~175e and ~265e binoculars?

Last edited:
I think that's the model which I selected a year ago at the UK's Birdfair Exhibition as what I should buy. This was after comparing several models from different manufacturers against my older pair of 8x42. Actually buying a pair as good as the sample on the Nikon stand proved less easy, and it was 6 months later that I bought a pair of 10x42.

I quite like them. They're not heavy, and the view is good. The focusing action seems fine with very little looseness (lost motion when reversing the direction of travel), and I can hold them still enough to benefit from the extra magnification, 10x versus the 8x of my first choice. However, my pair is the only pair in my collection of around 5 different binoculars where I've had to use the eyepiece correction collar to bring both sides into focus. (I wear spectacles and the eye-relief is OK for me.)

The objective lens cover is annoying. Simply open the cover, and the light plastic cover springs back covering one or both objectives. Open, and park it sideways, is one easy answer. Gently remove it whilst in use is another. You then risk the press-in fixing becoming loose, and it was fortunate that my companion, walking behind me, retrieved the cover when it fell out a week ago.

I note that the UK Amazon website is offering a later pair, Monarch 5, with ED glass, for £260 against the £230 for the model you asked about.

At about the same time as I bought the Nikon 10x42, I bought a pair of Opticron HR WP 10x42 Porro. I prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon, and the view through the Opticron.

Thanks Malcolm!

Still thinking about that Monarch 3 / 5 (what's the main differences between these?) vs. Prostaff 7...
I'm sure that both are really great. I just don't know that should I invest that ~100e more to get Monarchs or are those Prostaff 7 enough? Does anyone here have experience with both of these?

Akseli,

Some of the finer details are a little hard to find, but I think the Monarch 3 has a silver prism coating and the 5 has dielectric prism coating but with the addition of ED glass for lower colour fringing. The discontinued model which was unofficially known as the Mk 3 had dielectric coatings. Silver coatings usually have a slightly warmer colour bias.

I can't find the prism coatings for the Prostaff 7. It might be aluminium which would would have slightly lower reflection efficiency than silver and dielectric. The Prostaff 7 is longer than the Monarch. I've only compared it briefly to the Mk3. I found the Prostaff 7 was sharper and had better control of colour fringing. I don't know how it compares to the Monarch 3 and 5.

David

Last edited:
Thanks David.

I think that I'll order Prostaff 7 because I read somewhere here a review which pretty much concluded that those are best 'bang for the buck' :)

Last edited:
Thanks David.

I think that I'll order Prostaff 7 because I read somewhere here a review which pretty much concluded that those are best 'bang for the buck' :)

I am thinking you will be pleased with the Prostaff 7, I have had both the
8 and 10x42.

They are a nice binocular design, and I also find them to be in the best binocular
bang for the buck area.

The Prostaff is quality made and lightweight, offers a nice wide view, and I
recommend it.

Jerry

Jerry hit the quick review just perfect. I would just add that this binocular offers excellent eye relief as well if you wear eye glasses. Sleek design without the added weight. Overall, hard to beat for $200.

All the best,
Mike

Jerry hit the quick review just perfect. I would just add that this binocular offers excellent eye relief as well if you wear eye glasses. Sleek design without the added weight. Overall, hard to beat for $200.

All the best,
Mike

Mike:

I thought you would mention the sales promotion on right now in the
US on the Prostaff line, until 9-22-13.

The Prostaff 7 8x42 and 10x42 binoculars have a $50. instant savings
during the fall promotion.

That means well under $200. $139 - $169.99, after savings.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back