• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 vs Nikon M7 & 8x42 vs 10x42 (1 Viewer)

sozdamar

United States
I am in the market getting a binocular. I live in the US. I realized Nikon discounted Monarch 7 and I can get it for $350. The new M7 is close to $500. Is it worth getting the new one? In addition, what do you think about 8x42 vs 10x42? I live in the country side of Connecticut, and we will use it to look at the birds and other animals in our nature.

I am in the market getting a binocular. I live in the US. I realized Nikon discounted Monarch 7 and I can get it for $350. The new M7 is close to $500. Is it worth getting the new one? In addition, what do you think about 8x42 vs 10x42? I live in the country side of Connecticut, and we will use it to look at the birds and other animals in our nature.
Very unlikely the M7 is 50% better than the Monarch 7. If money is not a concern buy the new model, but the old model is surely better value for money.

8x42 - easier to hold steady, wider field of view
10x42 - more details IF you can hold it steady

Nobody can tell you what you prefer, you have to try for yourself.

I would go with the old version in 8x42. I have always strongly preferred 8x to 10x for all situations, though there are many birders who swear by 10x. Even in wide open habitats (coastal, hawkwatching) I strongly prefer 8x.

8x vs 10x is a question as old as binoculars, I'm afraid ;)

If it's of any help, I once opened a thread on the subject, you can find it here:

I'm a 7x/8x person (for an everyday pair). I don't see a lot of difference between 8x and 10x (hence the above thread). So much so, that after trying many 10x, I finally settled for an image-stabilised 12x, where I really can see a clear difference against a 8x. Basically, I feel IS 12x gives me what I hoped 10x would give me (and never did). I had the 10x42 Monarch 7 and was a bit underwhelmed, to be honest, being a big fan as I am of the 8x30 Monarch 7. I felt the 10x42 was somehow on a lower level compared to the 8x30, I found the latter sharper and with less chromatic aberration (the 10x42 surprised me there, for bad). It's probably easier to get a 8x right than to get a 10x right; the greater the magnification, the more difficult it is, it seems (yes, this is an oversimplification, but I hope you get what I mean). As BKoh wrote earlier, nothing compares to whatever you can read 1000 times. Whatever we say, it's only our preferences, and it can be as close or as far you yours as there are people in the world. So, if possible, try before you buy, otherwise choose a seller with a good return/exchange policy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back