• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

So far today I have seen:

23 Fulmars, 17 Arctic Skua, 1 Bonxie, 32 Manx Shearwaters 1 large SHearwater spp (Sooty most likely) an Adult Sabines Gull and 3 Leach's Petrels.

Its still blowing so I'll try again this evening when my scope eye has recovered!

Great day Jane. Just about to step i nthe shower and wash the sand and salt off! Tally for me was 1 Sooty in Mersey mouth (Cheshire lifer), 2 Bonxie, 3 Leach's, Fulmar, 2 Manxies and a stunning moulting adult Sabine's Gull. Pics winging your way soon of the Sabs. Missed a juvenile Long-tailed Skua charging through the surf at Gunsites as we sped down to New Brighton following a call that the Sabs was lingering.......

Whats the prospects like for tomorrow? I cant get up there till mid morning, kicking myself for not going this morning but had family comittments that meant i would have only been able to have a few hours this morning.

Thanks in advance :t:

Sylvia (Phill).

Called Jane en route to Wirral and she recommended New Brighton as there'd been a Balearic reported earlier.

As I approached the Marine Parade ready to turn right towards Fort Perch Rock and the sanctuary of the shelters I saw running birders at Coastgaurds, so a quick change of direction got me straight on to a moulting adult sab's on the tideline that I could walk along the beach next to as it fed off the rising tide - brilliant views down to 3m - thanks Jane!

Then on to NB itself where a different adult Sab's, a second or possibly same adult and a distant juv were notched, plus 1 manxie, a Bonxie feeding on aKittiwake, a brief view of what may have been the Sooty, and 2 - 6 Leach's.

the lingering Sab's that Phil photo'd gave great views too.

Missed plenty - an adult Long-tailed and Pom Skuas , but all in all a great day, and certainly my best for Sab's.

Would have been better with a DSLR but pleased with these all the same:

Attachments

• aKICX4586.jpg
    aKICX4586.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 127
  • aKICX4630.jpg
    aKICX4630.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 109
just like the Sab's that i dipped on a couple of weeks back on the Biscay trip - bah and indeed humbug...............

good shots, I'm in the green corner if required!!

Whats the prospects like for tomorrow? I cant get up there till mid morning, kicking myself for not going this morning but had family comittments that meant i would have only been able to have a few hours this morning.

Thanks in advance :t:

Sylvia (Phill).

There will be birds - its blowing well now and if it eases the birds will be leaving the bay and seen at high tide from Dovepoint - the strong flying birds were cutting the corner today (except the Sooty which I'll warrant was buggered)

That was the bird that lingered at Fort Perch Rock - very similar to the Wallasey bird but I'm certain it was a different bird - I wonder if most adults are just "turning" or if there were less about than we thought!

Good luck to those out looking today - it's calmer here in Mcr but XCweather suggest enough left in the wind at Crosby for their to be some birds left in the bay.

Calm here now - but I do think that there will be birds off me today....and fewer wave troughs for birds to hide in. Despite my elevated position, I was losing gannets yesterday!

The Bonxie at NB yesterday floated up river on a dead Kittiwake - and could only be seen when it flapped its wings - if a Bonxie on a dead gull could sneak past heaven knows what else!

Captivated (and envious)

Calm here now - but I do think that there will be birds off me today....and fewer wave troughs for birds to hide in. Despite my elevated position, I was losing gannets yesterday!

Hello Jane, I am new to birding (3 weeks) and I have just read through dozens of your (and others) communications on this thread. How can I at the age of 62 have allowed my life to pass by without experiencing all this excitement? How different the world looks now! I want to know everything instantly, and readind your entries only makes it worse! Well, I have all the basics now, i.e. Binos, scope, camera and transport. I look forward to inching my way daily towards a knowledge and understanding equivalent to some of you guys and I will follow your reports regularly. Thanks for a great couple of hours reading and God bless for now. PAUL

2 Sabines Gulls, though not the one on the beach since mine were out to sea, 6 Leach's Petrels, 21 Arctic Skuas, 4 Bonxies 30 Manxies and a distressing view of a wildly careening Manx-sized but tighter arcing bird with dark underwings contrasting with a white body and grey upperparts!

B**@**r

So far. Off to see if the Seaforth Wilson's ventures out

Can't see BBRC going for a single observer record at about 1mile range! Was hoping they'd get it on Hilbre.... or Anglesey........ or Strumble!

Apparently it was seen by three of the seaforth regulars according to what I was told.

There was a good selectio of seabirds to be had but it was hard work at any point along the coast. Leasowe seemed to have the most birds from my experience of the day.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back