• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no Alpha 7x32`s (1 Viewer)

Eitan is right, and I want to point out that the "optical superiority" of the 7x36 ED2 I tried only covered those two aspects: apparent sharpness and apparent brightness.
The ED2 I tried was the MkII version, about two years old.
This is what I found besides those two strong points:

1) The central hinge tension had loosened significantly and the binoculars nearly collapsed under their own weight
2) The eyecups were wobbly, more than the Fury's, and then the wobbly eyecups are the Fury's weakest part if they are extended
3) The focus speed was way too slow
4) The focus knob tension was too tight, in particular because:
5) The surface of the focus knob was very slippery, and because:
6) The focus knob action was spongy and imprecise, like if a rubber band was used to transmit the rotation.

So how was the view?

7) The FOV was only a very small fraction wider than the Fury's, I'd guess 152-153 m@1000 m rather than 163.
8) The edge sharpness was slightly worse than the Fury's. Neither of them excels in edge sharpness but I didn't expect the Zen to be worse, rather a bit better than the Fury.
9) The usable FOV was a lot smaller than the Fury's due to too short eye relief for me, being a spectacle wearer. Part of this is the recessed ocular lenses in combination with the (optically) short eye relief. With the Fury, I can/should extend the eyecups by 2-3 mm to completely avoid blackouts.
This is a major difference!
10) The poor straylight handling and presence of ghost images including the grey crescent (or rather mirrored images of lens edges and surfaces in the eyepieces, looking like internal reflections of very strong minus powered spectacle lenses for myopes) were three steps below the Fury's very decent performance.

The fellow who owns them was looking for a slightly smaller 6x binocular, and although he thinks the ED2 is quite good, he wanted to sell it and get another bin.
I suggested a swap and sent one of my Furys to him.
The only downside he could find was the greater presence of CA and he sent me his ED2. He said it had something special - being greater than the sum of its parts.
The rest is history. He bought the Fury and is still hoping to sell the Zen-Ray.

//L

I won't belabor this further B :), but the first Fury I had was possessed of a poor diopter, bad eye cups, and loose hinge tension. To their credit Vortex made it right. The ED 2 has unquestionably better color saturation and contrast. Nobody who I have showed the two to preferred the Fury except for size and focus rate, which I grant is faster. I think that the two have functionally equal fov's, and that the Fury has more eye relief, which is right at the maximum for me. I also acknowledge the damaging effects that improper eye relief can have for each user. For example the 7x43 ED 3 has too much eye relief for me and was not easily usable until I got some Nikon EDG winged eye cups which solved the problem and thereafter I would never have guessed I was looking through the same binocular. So either the eye relief is the overarching issue, or you are dealing with a pretty substandard ED 2. I also tend to think the veiling cresent glare issue of the ZEN ED 2 7x36 (and some of the other ED 2 series) is likely due to improper eye relief for those who did/do see it. Mine is one of the first off the line and I do not see that (trust me I had to look pretty hard to see what the hubub was about, in normal use where the ER is just right for me, it's a non issue). The eye relief of that binocular is also about right for me too. Maybe the ER is the issue, maybe not, I don't know. I will admit freely that if I had circumstances where the Fury was my main glass, I'd not feel that I was missing anything using it. Ditto the 7x36 ED 2. Ditto the ED 3 7x43 too. If you need more eye relief, then the 7x43 is a good choice in 7x.

Why would they need to upgrade coatings / prisms? The Zen ED2/3 is already essentially alpha level in terms of brightness/transmission and color rendition. Seems a weird thing to look for in terms of improvement. And many of the other handling or build issues were ironed out in the ED3 -- much better focus knob with a faster focus, better rubber armor, better eyecups, better QC, etc. Plus more eye relief (although tbh this seems another weird criticism, as the Zens have plenty of that... and the ED3's are even better again). And the sweet spot and glare control are also markedly improved in the ED3.

I think the big improvements that could be made in an "ED4" would only incremental, further improvements in quality control, weight reduction, etc. The coatings are the last thing that need to be improved. Optically, the only thing that could be bettered would be a reduction in pincushion and a widening of the sweet spot IMHO.

Also increasing AFOV seems another weird one to pick at. The Zens have among the widest FOV's in their class at any magnification. Getting a 7x model to have a 65° or greater would require a TFOV approaching 10°! They are already at 9°+. The 8x models with their 426' FOV are already around 65° AFOV.

Eitan, you have used ED2 / 3 somewhat interchangeably, whereas the Zen 7x36 is only available in ED2 mechanical package / optical specification, thus the various important improvements made to to ED3's (43mm size) are not available. Those improvements, while welcome, are a couple of years old, and far from the end of the story - time stands still for no man (or woman, [or even bin!]). While the Zen ED's were somewhat of a performance / value revolution, the competition has not been standing idly by. So while I agree that any improvements are going to be largely "incremental" in nature, there is hardly anything "weird" about this - in fact it's logically normal.

The opportunity for an 'ED4' was made in light of the ED2's limitations, and the context of the thread - "Why no Alpha 7x32's". Arguably a 7x36 ED4 held to ED3 pricing, and improving several critical areas would make such a 7x Alpha mid-size largely redundant, and would certainly capture a large slice of this available market segment ...... "bicycle transported - nose against shrubbery - low light - gee-whizzit chasers!" (or some such) ;)

The ED2's had 99.5%tr optical coatings while the ED3's had 99.7%tr ones, and 2nd generation dielectric prism coatings, and the faster still 'SpeedDial2' focuser (along with the better knurled metal knob as you said). Size / tension of this mechanism was nice, along largely with smoothness, but some have found backlash (or focus slop) to be excessive, and an inherent feature of this package. This would need to be fixed for sure in any 'ED4', and there's no reason that better coatings (lenses / prisms) could not be a feature (the competitions certainly moving down that road - I wonder how much the you-beaut 64 layer CFT coatings cost?), and the coatings in the Prime HD already show better colour saturation. The little Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL is around 95% overall tr% even with its Schmidt-Pechan roof prism system, so there's plenty of room to move. I don't think there can be too much brightness at these smaller objective sizes - Heck - I really don't think there can be too much brightness at any size!

What's really required in any 'ED4' is a lighter (and higher quality) body to bring the weight down to 20.5oz (580g) or under. A carbon-fiber-reinforced-polycarbonate body should well and truly do the trick - after all these are just for birding - not as weapons for hand to hand combat with grizzlies! Styling, rubber armouring quality (the Prime HD type is much nicer than the EDx's) and construction are also important. I would stay with the open hinge, or even high 'H' bar style.

ER, and focus speed are highly subjective (and the source of much argument / vocifery around here). For me, the 8x43 ED3's ER is still too shallow, and only the Prime HD (or near, say ~18mm) would suffice. The 7x36 ED2 worked for some glasses wearers, but not all, so improvements (increases, along with range accommodation) are needed here. An ED3 focus speed would seem ideal - though no doubt others will argue that would be too fast / slow. :eek!:

Internally there's work to be done too. I can never get within 30° of a light source before glare rears it's head in the ED3, (the Prime HD was better, and certainly showed the benefits of design work in that area), but I believe an 'ED4' could be much better still. I'm quite sure that a lot of what gets thrown around here as 'washed-out' colours is stray light and glare related. A widened sweet spot is always welcome, but the pincushion improvements should be kept to the 'circle of condition' level or slightly better - I don't think a field flattner lens assembly is required in this application, although aspheric lenses may be useful.

As far as the Fov stuff goes, the 7x36 ED2 has ~9° for 63.2°Afov. Arguably any slight increases on this are semantics. If you went to 10° fov - 176.3m@1km (529ft@1k yd) for 70° Afov then it qualifies as extra-wide-field. At a typical close-in birding distance of 10 yd say, that only amounts to the difference between a ~1.6 yd view, and a ~1.75 one, or about 1/2 a foot (or about 10%) - not much, but something. I don't think all of this is of too much consequence for the 7x.

My comments were mainly in relation to a 9x (ED2 63.4° Afov). Here there are several near extra-wide-field 10x competitors (forgetting price points for a moment), such as - Nikon 10x35 EII, and Vortex Razor HD 10x42. In order for the rationale behind the 9x to make sense, apart from the quality, it needs to be lightweight, with excellent dof, and at least 65° Afov, 126.7m / 380ft, to be a logical competitive alternative IMHO.

Hope that wasn't too weird, and clarifies things a bit! :t:

Who knows, as long as the focuser is cw to infinity, even LS will jump on board a 7x version (unloading the Zen 7x43 ED3 in the process - c'mon LS - you know you want to - pretty compelling arguement at 1/5th or less the price of an Ultravid HD, or EDG! That's a heck of a lot of "kippers" with the loose change!! ......) ;)

Chosun :gh:

Maybe the ER is the issue, maybe not

I believe it has to do with how I use the Fury - I swing it up to my eyes AFAP and it delivers a sharp, magnified image of the bird/s almost immediately.
While I'm very aware of the optical shortcomings of the binoculars I use for contemplating sceneries and distant birds during a longer time frame, I have to say that even if the Fury's optics is only 80% of the ED2's, the usability adds another bonus 40%, leaving the ED2 far behind.

You may then wonder how I get along with the E II, and here's a short update:
I'm getting increasingly aware of the great 3D-representation it offers. Most of the FOV can be overviewed with glasses, which is better than the ED2 could do.
There is some veiling glare now that the Sun doesn't climb high here in Sweden, but it is mostly occasional. (both the veiling glare and the Sun ;))
The focuser is too slow for warblering in the bushes, but functional everywhere else. And despite the lowish temperature of about zero degree Centigrade, it wasn't too tight to turn today.

Where the two bins differ is in the color representation/color saturation and in their apparent brightness.
/---/
I hope this clears up any misconceptions my previous postings may have generated.

Thank you for mentioning this. Obviously, the ED3 is a big leap forward, and the increased saturation of reds and browns ticks one of my boxes.

But:

My comparisons between the FL and Ed3 were in regard to certain optical attributes, namely /---/ the relative size of the sweetspot.
This makes me feel a bit ambivalent about the ED3. I do realise it would be foolish to expect edge to edge sharpness from a $400 binocular.
But the small sweet spot of the FL was distracting - it was more obvious than in the 10x32 FL which has a quite smooth transition between the sweet spot and the edges.
It does sound as the 7x43 ED3 is worth trying, but in the long run I'll get the EDG anyway. I know myself. The purchase of an ED3 will only delay the action.

//L

Last edited:
"bicycle transported - nose against shrubbery - low light - gee-whizzit chasers!" (or some such)
:-O That's me!

Who knows, as long as the focuser is cw to infinity, even LS will jump on board a 7x version (unloading the Zen 7x43 ED3 in the process - c'mon LS - you know you want to - pretty compelling arguement at 1/5th or less the price of an Ultravid HD, or EDG! That's a heck of a lot of "kippers" with the loose change!! ......) ;)

Chosun :gh:

Perhaps you know me better than I know myself! :eek!:
The imaginary package you composed is indeed very appealing but we haven't seen it IRL yet...:smoke:

//L

Last edited:
I believe it has to do with how I use the Fury - I swing it up to my eyes AFAP and it delivers a sharp, magnified image of the bird/s almost immediately.

//L

I believe the issue here in general has to do with how everyone uses the binocular. I further think that the snap to your eyes method you describe is pretty common, and necessary to learn. Many beginners seem to struggle with object location until they get the hang of things. I also think that the snap to your eyes method is rendered null and void if the eye relief is is not JUST right for any given individual. So I fully agree that as long as the view is sharp and easy enough on the eyes,that other factors are full capable of assuming out sized roles in use and selection. Snap to your eyes may be further rendered difficult if any of a number of things are not right for someone. The binocular needs to be an extension of your being, where you need not think about having it, you just snap it up when you need it. This is something that needs practice to perfect and going out and using the binocular is the best way. Any practice you can do around your house...wherever on whatever object you can point and look at will do, and needs to be done.

I am also of the opinion that binoculars are sort of like friends. They all have their shortcomings and we are friends because we can accept the shortcomings. So you have obviously made friends with the Fury. Another thing I hold to is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Since the Fury is obviously not broken for your uses, maybe you don't need a fix. The 7x43 is after all a fair amount larger than the Fury. Image differences may not be the thing you need it appears. ;)

The 7x36 ZEN ED2 is probably the closest one to the 7x32. It may not have alpha name. But the quality is definitely reflecting an alpha class. It feels deceivingly lighter than it actually is, probabbly with the open bridge design. I was hoping PIRME HD can come up with a 7x design one day.

We can hope for a 7x42 EL Swarovision (AND the money to buy it!) but here's a game changer:

Meopta's top line stuff (MeoStar B1) is pretty well respected, and all I've read about the HD model (available in 10x only currently) is very positive (several awards so far.) It seemingly has greatly improved the already good glass in their B1 series.

Even though everyone is waiting and expecting a 8x version to follow, WHAT IF they pulled a surprise and made the next 43mm HD a 7x??? :t:

$999 (+/-) for a built-like-a-tank European alpha... And maybe choke down on the eye relief (21.8 on the exiting model) to give a bigger field-of-view than the current 7x42 (411 feet).

I could really like about 445 feet or more!

Last edited:
I'd buy one. I have the 7x42 Meostar and have come to the conclusion that the only way to better it, for me at least, is to buy a 7x42 Nikon EDG. Which I can't afford (and haven't tried yet so this conclusion is an assumption, really).

I have tried Leica's and Zeiss's top 7x42 offerings and prefer the Meoptas. The edges are too fuzzy on the L & Z 7x42s for me. And the Meoptas ergonomics are better too.

I emailed Meopta (maybe a year ago or so) and was told that there are no plans for a 7x42 HD. Shame.

We can hope for a 7x42 EL Swarovision (AND the money to buy it!) but here's a game changer:

Meopta's top line stuff (MeoStar B1) is pretty well respected, and all I've read about the HD model (available in 10x only currently) is very positive (several awards so far.) It seemingly has greatly improved the already good glass in their B1 series.

Even though everyone is waiting and expecting a 8x version to follow, WHAT IF they pulled a surprise and made the next 43mm HD a 7x??? :t:

$999 (+/-) for a built-like-a-tank European alpha... And maybe choke down on the eye relief (21.8 on the exiting model) to give a bigger field-of-view than the current 7x42 (411 feet).

I could really like about 445 feet or more!

I'd buy one. I have the 7x42 Meostar and have come to the conclusion that the only way to better it, for me at least, is to buy a 7x42 Nikon EDG. Which I can't afford (and haven't tried yet so this conclusion is an assumption, really).

I have tried Leica's and Zeiss's top 7x42 offerings and prefer the Meoptas. The edges are too fuzzy on the L & Z 7x42s for me. And the Meoptas ergonomics are better too.

I emailed Meopta (maybe a year ago or so) and was told that there are no plans for a 7x42 HD. Shame.

Is HD really necessary for a high quality 7 x 42 like the Meopta 7 x 42? I've never been convinced that it is a necessity in binoculars with their f4 focal lengths although it is argued that it helps control CA in them. Personally I am not bothered by CA but I can understand people wanting it if a particular binocular is prone to it. I have not heard that about the Meopta.

I can understand Meopta Mavens wanting to upgrade their favorite binocular but it looks like Meopta doesn't want to raise the price of the current model any more than it has to. It is the only quality 7 x 42 that is available at a reasonable price; $999.00 the last time I looked.

I hope they are not discontinuing it.

I also do not think that there is any practical difference between a 7.8 degree FOV and an 8.0 degree FOV especially if the binocular has sharp edges. The 2 reviews of it in the Eagle Optics web site indicate that the Meopta does have sharp edges and compare it favorably with the Swarovski 7 x 42 SLC. The now discontinued Zeiss 7 x 42 FL had the widest FOV of all. It's FOV was 8.57 degrees (450') but it was not known for it's sharp edges.

I enjoy using 7 x 42s with their expansive exit pupils and long eye relief and I have the Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid and the Swarovski SLC 7 x 42 B.

Bob

Bob,

I actually think their regular price was quite a bit less expensive than that. The 8x42 usually went for under $900 and I do believe the 7x42 was, most of the time, around $830.

Hmm, interesting. I distinctly remember it being less than that for a good portion of time. Maybe they snuck in a price hike and nobody noticed. I need to find an older Cabelas catalog or something from Europtics to verify.

Hmm, interesting. I distinctly remember it being less than that for a good portion of time. Maybe they snuck in a price hike and nobody noticed. I need to find an older Cabelas catalog or something from Europtics to verify.

If you are seriously interested in purchasing, I can direct you to a reputable source where they can be had, new, for $899. I don't want to advertise here so you would have to PM me for the info.

I have been debating them for some time but struggle with their weight (almost 2 lbs) and the comments about a yellow color bias which I would need to see to understand to what degree and if it would bother me or not.

Unfortunate Meopta doesn't want to keep the 7x as advanced as their 8x and 10x piers. I've heard the color bias has been better corrected in the new HD offerings.

CG

Last edited:

I think your memory is correct. I believe there has been a price hike by Meopta and the 7's are new stock. I noticed that EO was still selling the 10 x 42 for $899.00.

Bob

I tried a Vortex Diamond Back 7x36 yesterday and although I found the optical ability somewhat poor (for Vortex) I did like this format.

I now really do feel an Alpha 7x36 could be the ultimate Birding binocular, c`mon Zeiss, Leica et al, if any of you read these forums take note.

Leupold had their switch power 7/12x32. The FoV for a 7x is a bit narrow @ 376 ft (7.2*) but it is otherwise quite excellent. The added ability to switch to 12x when you want a little bit closer look at something that has caught your interest is fantastic and more than makes up for any percieved FoV limitations. It is one of my favorite bins.

I carry it a lot and would agree that the 7x3* format makes for an excellent all-around choice but, a good 10x is still better for some uses.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back