• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mabel gets Pasta and Culture (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Hi folks!

**DISCLAIMER: Long, rambling report ahead. For those in a hurry, or simply not bothered, look at the list. You get the idea.**

Well for the last week I have been away. I was in Italy, just outside Florence. I travelled a good bit. Altogether I spent time in Florence, Siena, Lucca and the Cinque Terre National Park.

Despite researching some of the birds in general, I forgot to look up what
Italy is like for birding in general. In particular, the Tuscany region. I since
found out that a LOT of hunting goes on there, as in most Mediterranean
regions, so birding is not really a priority as a whole there. However, I did
expect that it is an important place for passage migrants, and based on
what I saw and my Collins Guide, this proved correct! o:D

Speaking of Collins Guide, this proved INVALUABLE! I saw many
confusing species and having took down notes on odd features and calls,
it was due to the Guide that I managed to identify the birds.

I have given the report a bit of thought. Rather than do a full comprehensive day-by-day report, I will simply list the birds down as I flick through my notebook. I got a lot of lifers and a few great birds. I'm not showing off or rubbing anything in, but I want to get back into the swing of things regarding Birdforum reporting, so what better way to start again? Mabel's reports 2.0 comin' up!

Most of the birds were standard European fare. As in you'll get them very commonly in Britain and even in Ireland. Thing is though, lots of Continental and British species are rare or absent where I am so any treat is gold as far as I'm concerned. Also, I'm not a twitcher, so any odd birds I hear about, I still don't make an effort. :smoke: OK here goes:

Feral Pigeon
Collared Dove
Blackbird
Hooded Crow
Magpie
Serin (lifer)
Marsh Harrier (lifer) saw a few of these. They breed near the area but I'll bet the ones I saw were on passage
Tawny Pipit (needed the guide for this lifer)
Swift
Alpine Swift (lifer)
Woodpigeon
Turtle Dove
Starling
House Sparrow
Kestrel
House Martin
Spanish ( rather, it's stable hybrid form-or "Italian") Sparrow
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Tree Sparrow
Swallow
Buzzard (quite a few of these)
Jackdaw
Black Kite (lifer)
Red Kite (two on passage-lifer)
Yellow-legged Gull
Great Egret (lifer)
Little Egret (not too many of these)
Rock Dove
Moorhen
Coot
Mistle Thrush
Wren
Black-headed Gull
Slender-billed Gull (lifer)
Mediterranean Gull (lifer)
Red-rumped Swallow (lifer-very few of these)
Sand Martin
Coal Tit
Mallard
Montagu's Harrier (was told they are quite common, especially on passage, as was the case here! Took a lot of study in the guide though-lifer)
Goldfinch
Pallid Swift (lifer)
Crag Martin (town I was staying in had a roost of these lifers)
Yellow Wagtail (lifer)
White Wagtail (lifer)
Greenfinch
Long-tailed Tit (in the trees outside my room)
Tree Pipit (lifer, and another irritatingly confusing species)
Honey Buzzard (one, another lifer)
Wood Warbler (ID'd by call and notes-lifer)
Marsh Tit (only because Willow Tit is not in the area lol-lifer)
Skylark
Grey Heron (would have preferred Purple but a spectacular bird nonetheless)
Black-eared Wheatear (a beauty!-lifer)
Black Redstart (lifer)
Common Crossbill (lifer)
Dipper
Peregrine Falcon
Cirl Bunting (lifer and gorgeous)
Crested Lark (got a close view-I thought it was an odd Skylark-lifer)
Jay
Tawny Owl (heard and saw this target-I missed it in England-lifer)

That's all the birds. A lot were confusing, but not a bad lot, once you know the little distinguishing features and calls. I didn't, so full credit goes to Collins Guide here. Plus notes. Lots and lots of notes.

What can I say about birding in Italy? Here's a few pointers:
- Drink water. I spent the start of the holiday dehydrated and suffered from slight heat exhaustion. You don't need this. Water cures all.
- Sunblock. I can go Bullfinch pink after 5 minutes, so this is another thing you just don't need.
- Learn your hirundines and Swifts. It doesn't take long, but you'll definitely need it season depending.
- Learn your Raptors. There are a lot of potential target birds here to make any raptor watcher proud.

I had a few targets in mind. Hoopoe being the first. I didn't get it. I never get Hoopoes even though I've been to Spain, Portugal and Italy several times in my youth. I have no idea why this is. I got the Tawny and the Marsh Tit though. Also missed Nuthatch.
Still, I'm not complaining. Anyway, this has been a long report, so I hope you enjoyed it.
Ciao for now folks!

*also saw no land animals except an Adder. There was a Bat roost nearby though so evenings were spent sitting outside watching them feed. I have no idea of the species though.*

Attachments

• IMG_3391.JPG
    IMG_3391.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Awsome report Mabel . Man,that is alot of birds ! Sounds like you had an amazing time dude. Love the pics too - what a great country!

Wow that's qute a list Mabel!
Not at all bad for a week's hols, and loads of lifers
Well done! :t:

But you appear to have forgotten the Pasta list!|=)|

Cheers
Tony

There's some birds there I envy you Mabel....black-eared wheatie for one. Great birds all down your list. Looking at the thumbnails I thought the second picture was a line drawing...lol.
You have very definitely whetted my appetite for the Florence area as a holiday destination.

An brilliant list there Mabel

Glad you had a good time ..apart from getting frazzled in the sun!!

Where to next I wonder?

Matt

Welcome back, Mabel. A fantasic report of what was clearly a wonderful holiday!
What an amazing list...but, as Tony mentioned, I was hoping to hear about the pasta, too!!!

Feel free to PM any recipes you picked up!

All the best,
Kristina

But you appear to have forgotten the Pasta list!|=)|

Cheers
Tony

What an amazing list...but, as Tony mentioned, I was hoping to hear about the pasta, too!!!

All the best,
Kristina

whoa ! good point on the pasta list :eek!:
FUSILLI COL BUCO is a lifer for me ! :-O
I hate those highly invasive tennis raquets !

Attachments

• fusilli-col-buco.jpg
    fusilli-col-buco.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 12
  • 55_tommy3-6106.jpg
    55_tommy3-6106.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi Mabel.
I thoroughly enjoyed your report, and I was a little envious of some of the birds picked up, but, 'if one doesn't do the miles, one doesn't get the smiles'.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Mabel

Your report brought back memories. We were in the Florence/Lucca area 10 years ago and also visited the Assisi area. I wasn't interested in birds at that time. Memories? We got a £60 parking fine in Lucca for being in a residents' only area (we couldn't read the Italian notices). On the way home we learnt that Diana had died. Shortly after we got home, Assisi was hit by an earthquake. My son was obnoxious to his friend.

I shall stick to birdwatching!

Pat

Hi Mabel

Good to read and see that you are extending your birding interests to Europe. It brings with it a whole new interest and excitement IMO.

Good too perhaps that you are able to mix it in with the culture of this remarkable area. I love Italy and well remember the museums and gallaries of Florence. A great place. Good too that you have been birding in a country that has birders with the interest of wildlife at heart and that have done much work recently in order to show that watching wildlife is far more appropriate than shooting it! Every birder helps in that process.

Glad your Collins guide came in handy. I always feel that that guide is so useful in expanding peoples mind to birds in other areas, which I believe is good to do whether you visit the other areas or not.

take care mate

Last edited:
Hi Mabel,
Phoaw! that's some list! well done.
It sounds like you had a great trip & got yourself some exciting lifers too.
You are funny not wanting to do a diary report though, I love love love reading big juicy reports of Birding trips.
Good tip about the Collins guide, thanks Mabel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pasta

Can you believe this has a list of what's "common" and what's not? :D

I had Spaghetti twice. (Bolognaise style and one with just fresh tomatoes)
Had Cannelloni with a cream sauce. Very filling but delish!
Had Tortelloni with herbs, tomato sauCe and WILD BOAR chunks. AMAZING.
Finally, had Gemelli Bolognaise style

All on the common list, too! ;)

Thanks for the comments, folks! :) :)

Sorry, only just caught up with this Mabel......Wow!! that is some list!! you sure had a good holiday didn't you! Great report Mabel.

Hi Mabel,

I wondered where you'd got to, good to have you back again. What a GREAT list you have there and what some beautiful sights they must have given you. Lovely to read all about Mabel.

Sue.

Ciao Mabel and welcome back.
What a superb list and all those lifers too.....it must have been great never quite knowing what you'd see next? I'd love to see a Red-Rumped Swallow.
The menu's not bad either!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back