• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another report from Ouarzazate, 23-27 May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Arbu

People are very dismissive of Ryanair, but I kind of like their minimalism, and I was intrigued to see that they had started flying to Ouarzazate, so off I went. I loved the way the pilot announced "Welcome to your Ryanair flight to ... er ... I'm not even going to try to pronounce that." They must have a great passion for the destinations they fly to.

Anyway, I didn't have many lifers to try for, so booked myself four nights at Ait Bennhadou, with a plan to take some day trips. Walking around the area I saw lots of Rufous Bushchats, Black-eared, Black and White-crowned Wheatear, some Corn Buntings and Trumpeter Finches.

On 24th I drove up to the Tizi n'Tichka pass and took a dirt road higher, then walked on to the summit of a mountain at about 3600m. Atlas Wheatears and Horned Larks were everywhere, but I could find no sign of Crimson-winged Finches at all. Perhaps I wasn't high enough, and they are all in fact crowded on the summit of Mt. Toubkal.

On 25th I drove out to the Ecolodge Ile d'Ouarzazate and paid to sit by their pool for a bit while looking out across the steppe for birds. There actually wasn't much to see apart from lots of Crested Larks, but I did see one lark briefly which walked out from some shrubs and then promptly disappeared. It looked very good for Dupont's Lark (ssp. duponti). Using the Collins Bird Guide I can't tell whether this would be the subspecies at Ourzazate or whether it would be margaritae. The former is listed for north of the Atlas and the latter for Algeria, but Ourzazate is neither. Certainly it seemed the right sort of habitat for Dupont's.

Before dusk I walked out onto the steppe and tried to identify some of the numerous larks there. Most seemed to be Crested, and some Thekla, and there was one party of larks with quite brown caps, which I suppose must have been Greater Short-toed. Also one lark walked on the road in front of me (photo). It showed a couple of feathers of crest, and looked a lot like the head of the Crested shown with the Dupont's Larks in Collins (page 257) but nothing like the main pictures of Crested Larks in that guide (page 249). I think it must have been a Crested Lark because it was too confiding to be a Dupont's Lark. A couple of Barbary Partridges flew out at sunset, and then I started walking back, playing the call of the Egyptian Nightjar, which had been reported a couple of months earlier on ebird. And lo! They responded. I saw two at one time and there was another one calling in the distance, so it would seem that they must have now bred. They were rather flighty, so no photos.

I had a puncture driving back, so abandoned plans to go out east to the Tagadilt track the next day, as it didn't seem a good idea to drive that far on the spare tyre, and there were no lifers for me out there.

Attachments

• Lark.jpg
    Lark.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 31
I’ve not heard of Dupont’s being seen round ouarzazate, normal site is north of the high atlas toward the middle atlas
Cheers
James

P.s it’s war-za-zat I believe (war rhyming with jar).
There is a site for Dupont's between Ouarzazate and the Sous on the N10 at Tizi-n-Taratine. Very difficult there and some of the tussock grass steppe they need has been ploughed recently.

The photo is a Crested.

There is a site for Dupont's between Ouarzazate and the Sous on the N10 at Tizi-n-Taratine. Very difficult there and some of the tussock grass steppe they need has been ploughed recently.

The photo is a Crested.

The bird in question was in tussock grass, albeit quite a small area of it. I'll accept that it probably wasn't one though, as so many people have said that they don't occur there. I've seen them before in Spain anyway.

The bird in question was in tussock grass, albeit quite a small area of it. I'll accept that it probably wasn't one though, as so many people have said that they don't occur there. I've seen them before in Spain anyway.
I would be interested in where the tussock grass habitat is near Ouarzazate. Can you give a grid ref please.

The photo is a Crested.
I was wondering about that site. Quite remote and little-birded, i wonder how often it gets a look over, i think i read about it in one of Arnoud Van den Bergs reports. Interesting that its been partly ploughed recently, i guess someone was in the area. I think in the same report he mentioned that there was good Acacia habbo for Liechtensteins Sandgrouse. His description helped me to find a feeding pair in Oman anyway. Agree on Crested, perhaps the machrorhyncus thing whatever its called.

Great report & trip Rob, id b very very tempted if Stansted wasn't such a flippin long way from Llandudno. Caught a cheap flight from there a couple of times but it involved hiring a car 1-way and driving overnight for an early morning flight and the next time taking our own and paying the parking charges etc etc. Think i'll stick with Lpool and Manny "going forward"! :)

I was wondering about that site. Quite remote and little-birded, i wonder how often it gets a look over, i think i read about it in one of Arnoud Van den Bergs reports. Interesting that its been partly ploughed recently, i guess someone was in the area. I think in the same report he mentioned that there was good Acacia habbo for Liechtensteins Sandgrouse. His description helped me to find a feeding pair in Oman anyway. Agree on Crested, perhaps the machrorhyncus thing whatever its called.

Great report & trip Rob, id b very very tempted if Stansted wasn't such a flippin long way from Llandudno. Caught a cheap flight from there a couple of times but it involved hiring a car 1-way and driving overnight for an early morning flight and the next time taking our own and paying the parking charges etc etc. Think i'll stick with Lpool and Manny "going forward"! :)
I agree with all you say re the report.

Tizi-n-Taratine is a good 2 hrs drive from Ouarzazate. I have been through 5 times in the last year, but always at the wrong time of day as I am Guiding and a good site closer always delays us. The ploughing has 'only' impacted the area by the road but it would be a march out and really need a singing bird to target where to look.

As for the sandgrouse, no Acacia here. The classic site is near Tissint (much further south). Interesting Tizi-n-Taratine is on a volcanic plug at the head of the Souss, so geology is similar but at c1600m it is much higher. Anything is possible but it is a tough area to work. Oddly there was good vegetation growth suggesting reasonable rains. I will be back in Sept/Oct so will see how it is.

. His description helped me to find a feeding pair in Oman anyway. Agree on Crested, perhaps the machrorhyncus thing whatever its called.
Based upon the local biome, if it is not riggenbachi Crested - which is a long billed Crested Lark and the default ssp of Crested around Ouarzazate- then it could be a randonii - however note that the latest DNA suggests that randonii is not part of macrorhynca but is actually a ssp of cristata (and despite the recent relump of Maghreb, Maghreb is only distantly related to Crested after all - much more closely related to the Sun Lark of sub-Saharan West Africa)

Based upon the local biome, if it is not riggenbachi Crested - which is a long billed Crested Lark and the default ssp of Crested around Ouarzazate- then it could be a randonii - however note that the latest DNA suggests that randonii is not part of macrorhynca but is actually a ssp of cristata (and despite the recent relump of Maghreb, Maghreb is only distantly related to Crested after all - much more closely related to the Sun Lark of sub-Saharan West Africa)
Interesting stuff cheers, I'll have a bit of a read around that 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back