• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Nature DX 8x42 Binocular (1 Viewer)

Hari M

I am a birder from India, who is new to this forum.

I now use an 'Olympus' porro-prism binocular; model DPSI 8x40, the optics of which I find thoroughly satisfying. However, I am planning to buy a Roof-Prism binocular since they are compact & weather-resistant.

I have short-listed the 'Celestron' Nature DX 8x42. Has anyone in this forum used one ? More importantly, will it present a view comparable (if not, better) to that offered by the 'Olympus' DPSI ?

Thanks & best wishes from this new member.

Hello Hari,

Welcome to the forum.

It's a while since I've tried the Olympus DSPS and the Celestron Nature DX but I'm not convinced the Celestron would be a useful improvement. Roof prism models are a more complex designe and need phase and mirror coatings which add significantly to the cost. The Olympus EXPS porro is a similar price over here to the Celestron and would offer a worthwhile improvement in image quality, but you would probably need to look at something like the Celestron Trailseeker to find something comparable in a roof, but that's around twice the price.

Good luck,

David

Hi,

welcome to birdforum. David has already written what I wanted to write earlier today but was distracted. You'll be hard-pressed to find a pair of roof bins as good as the top porro in each price bracket (like the Oly DPSI, Kowa YF, Nikon E2, Swaro Habicht or Nikon SE).
To top the best ones like Nikon SE or Swaro Habicht with a roof you'll shell out a serious 4 digit number of dollares...

On the other hand I have a pair of ok roofs in addition to my Nikon porros for really bad weather, which I got at quite cheaply (but even the great deal was roughly double of the price of the celestrons).

Or get a waterproof porro for bad weather, Kowa YF alias Leopold Yosemite come to mind, available in 6x30 or 8x30 for usually <$100 or a Nikon Action EX - a bit more expensive.

I can't say anything about the celestron as I don't know it.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hello Hari,

I cannot comment on the Celestron but looking at 'other choices' Kenko manufacture and sell directly in India a range of binoculars for birders.

You may be able to catch up with them at an exhibition to try them for yourself.

Worth a call perhaps.

Details here : http://www.kenko-tokina.co.in/

They offer a lot of choice : http://www.kenkoglobal.com/optics/binoculars/

There are a couple of reviews of Kenko binoculars in the 'Equipment Reviews' section of Bird Forum.

Best wishes,

Hello Hari,

Welcome to the forum.

It's a while since I've tried the Olympus DSPS and the Celestron Nature DX but I'm not convinced the Celestron would be a useful improvement. Roof prism models are a more complex designe and need phase and mirror coatings which add significantly to the cost. The Olympus EXPS porro is a similar price over here to the Celestron and would offer a worthwhile improvement in image quality, but you would probably need to look at something like the Celestron Trailseeker to find something comparable in a roof, but that's around twice the price.

Good luck,

David
Thank you David. Nice help. It seems as if I might need to shell out much more than I budgeted (INR 15,000/=) if I am insistent on a roof-prism binocular that in the least is optically as good as the 'Olympus' DPSI.

Hi,

welcome to birdforum. David has already written what I wanted to write earlier today but was distracted. You'll be hard-pressed to find a pair of roof bins as good as the top porro in each price bracket (like the Oly DPSI, Kowa YF, Nikon E2, Swaro Habicht or Nikon SE).
To top the best ones like Nikon SE or Swaro Habicht with a roof you'll shell out a serious 4 digit number of dollares...

On the other hand I have a pair of ok roofs in addition to my Nikon porros for really bad weather, which I got at quite cheaply (but even the great deal was roughly double of the price of the celestrons).

Or get a waterproof porro for bad weather, Kowa YF alias Leopold Yosemite come to mind, available in 6x30 or 8x30 for usually <$100 or a Nikon Action EX - a bit more expensive.

I can't say anything about the celestron as I don't know it.

Joachim
Thanks for your comments. Of the high-performers you mentioned, only the 'Nikon' Monarch is widely available in my country. But, that is way beyond my budget. From what I researched over the net, the 'Celestron' seemed to hold some promise.

Hello Hari,

I cannot comment on the Celestron but looking at 'other choices' Kenko manufacture and sell directly in India a range of binoculars for birders.

You may be able to catch up with them at an exhibition to try them for yourself.

Worth a call perhaps.

Details here : http://www.kenko-tokina.co.in/

They offer a lot of choice : http://www.kenkoglobal.com/optics/binoculars/

There are a couple of reviews of Kenko binoculars in the 'Equipment Reviews' section of Bird Forum.

Best wishes,
Thanks for your advise. Yes. 'Kenko' has operations in India. But, the binoculars are available only online. Have you any experience with 'Kenko' ?

Thanks for your advise. Yes. 'Kenko' has operations in India. But, the binoculars are available only online. Have you any experience with 'Kenko' ?

They exhibit frequently, details perhaps on facebook or just give them a ring.

Yes I own or have owned Kenko binoculars.

Although these are overbudget you can find a couple of reviews here :

Kenko DH MS 8x32 :
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/452/limit/recent

Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II 8x32 :
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/457/limit/recent

I am sure that others may offer recommendations.

Best wishes,

Thanks for your comments. Of the high-performers you mentioned, only the 'Nikon' Monarch is widely available in my country. But, that is way beyond my budget. From what I researched over the net, the 'Celestron' seemed to hold some promise.

Hi Hari,

actually the Nikon Monarch is not one of the models I meant. It's an ok roof bin but I'd prefer my Nikon porro models (E2 8x30 - price roughly like the Monarch) and SE 10x42 - out of production and not easy to get) any day.

All the bins I named in my post are best of class porro bins where you will be hard pressed to find a roof of equal optical quality for roughly the same price.

Do it like me - enjoy your Oly porros when the weather allows it and find a pair if roofs you can afford just for rainy days. Or get a waterproof porro like Kowa YF or Nikon Action EX series if available.

Joachim

Hi Hari,

actually the Nikon Monarch is not one of the models I meant. It's an ok roof bin but I'd prefer my Nikon porro models (E2 8x30 - price roughly like the Monarch) and SE 10x42 - out of production and not easy to get) any day.

All the bins I named in my post are best of class porro bins where you will be hard pressed to find a roof of equal optical quality for roughly the same price.

Do it like me - enjoy your Oly porros when the weather allows it and find a pair if roofs you can afford just for rainy days. Or get a waterproof porro like Kowa YF or Nikon Action EX series if available.

Joachim
Hello Joachim,
I get your point. Going by what experienced people like you and others on this forum have to say, a decent pair of porro-prism binoculars are much better than cheap roof-prism models.

'Nikon' is widely available in my country and Action EX is what was originally on my mind, but then I got a bit too ambitious.

Thanks a lot bringing me down to earth.

Finally an affordable and good roof-prism binocular

I am a birder from India, who is new to this forum.

I now use an 'Olympus' porro-prism binocular; model DPSI 8x40, the optics of which I find thoroughly satisfying. However, I am planning to buy a Roof-Prism binocular since they are compact & weather-resistant.

I have short-listed the 'Celestron' Nature DX 8x42. Has anyone in this forum used one ? More importantly, will it present a view comparable (if not, better) to that offered by the 'Olympus' DPSI ?

Thanks & best wishes from this new member.

I finally did buy a roof-prism binocular -- an 'Olympus' EXWP I 8x42. It presents an image as sharp and bright as the DPSI. So, for birding, if you are looking for an affordable roof-prism binocular, this is it; with a lesser field-of-view though. I paid INR 17,650.

Hi,

congratulations to your new pair of bins - not a lot online on that model, but the allbinos review of the 10x42 model is quite positive.
The real field-of view of 6.3 degrees or 110m/1000m for the 8x model is a bit of a bummer though - the 10x has 6.0 deg or 105m/1000m which is decent.

Joachim, wide field junkie...

Thanks Joachim. I went birding with it the last Sunday. Actually, I found the field-of-view quite okay for bird-watching (although I was used to an 8.1 deg DPSI). But, having said that, I also add that a 7 deg FOV would have made this piece unbeatable in it's price range.
With your exposure and knowledge, you don't seem like just a 'wide field junkie'... a lot better actually. So, just try out the EXWP I & add one more to your armoury of knowledge.

Regards,

Hari

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back