• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying advice for a newbie on a budget. (1 Viewer)

WellKristOff

United Kingdom
As the title suggests, I am brand new to birdwatching to the point where I don’t even have any binoculars yet.

I am very much on a budget of £100 which I know doesn’t give me a huge amount of options.

I’m looking at:
Bushnell H2O
Celestron Outlander X
Olympus DPSI
Opticron Adventurer II

The Bushnell and Olympus are Porro while the Celestron and Opticron are roof, if that makes any difference at this level?

All are available as 8x42 or 10x42 though I’m not sure what is best for a beginner?

Obviously I’m open to suggestions of binoculars I’ve not considered.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are not too bothered about waterproofing I would go with a porro as you will get better optics for your money compared to a roof.

If you can find a reputable dealer in your area, you might think about used.

You will end up with a much better glass than your budget will permit new.

Knowing where you are will permit some of our UK cousins to suggest some of the better dealers.

I agree with Maljunulo. I would look for a used porro because usually they are a better value than a roof. Low end roofs can really be inconsistent in quality. One possibility would be a Leopold Yosemite 6x30. They are actually pretty good, and they run about $100 USD.

We have Olympus DPSI and pic quality is as good as it gets in 100£ category. Only problems might be 1) insufficient eye relief, if you use glasses and 2) maybe water proofing is not sufficient for heavy rain.

I have just bought my son a pair of Nikon Aculon 7x50, mainly for star gazing, but they are pretty good for the price. The Aculon range comes in a variety of magnifications and objective sizes, prices are variable so you should be able to pick up a new pair of 8x42/10x42 for around £100 if you shop around - there is even a 7x35 which would be nice and compact and should deliver a relaxed view.

Opitcron can be widely found in the UK including larger nature reserves, the Adventurer range is within your budget.

TBH you will find a wide range of porros badged under Pentax, Olympus, Bushnell etc etc, note that most if not all will come from the same manufacturers in China.

So worth finding a dealer and testing for yourself!

As suggested you could also try secondhand although budget used stock may be less readily put on websites unless on eBay.

I would recommend the Celestron Ultima 8x32 (got mine for around 60 bucks) or the Orion ED 8x30.
I have the same one in 6x30 as sold by APM and it's really good.
I also have the Celestron Ultima 8x32 and while it has a bit more plastic on the body (the hinge is metal though as is the ocular bridge) the optics are just as good. The Celestron Ultima is the same as the Opticron Adventurer T WP, the porro version.
All of these are better optically than a Nikon Aculon or Action EX. The problem with the Nikons are the coatings which are not up to modern standards which gives them inferior color fidelity and brightness.
Edit: the Celestron Ultima seems to be no longer available. The Opticron is at the moment only available in 8x42 which should work just as well. Field of view might be slightly smaller. All the specifications can be found on the UK website of Opticron.
Edit again:
Here's a picture I took through the APM 6x30 which is the little brother of the Orion ED 8x30 and made by the same company (I think Kunming United Optical).
IMG_20220901_160036.jpg

Last edited:
different brands and models can be confusing
I would go to a dealer with a good selection and see which ones appeal to you
(size, weight, feel, comfort) in your price range
after you consider our suggestions

edj

I volunteer at my local’s RSPB reserve and at a recent Optics even I was told that 8x42 are becoming the standard birdwatching binoculars.
You could do worse than to look at the RSPB binocular range, although the first waterproof models are slightly over your budget.
If you have an RSPB reserve nearby, you should be able to try them out and get some advice.

Puffin

Avocet

Focal Point (my local optics shop, who I trust implicitly) have
Viking Badger, waterproof but £7 over your budget

These links take you to the relevant page for the binoculars, they have drop down menus to specify magnification and objective lens size - I looked at 8x42.
If at all possible, please try to go somewhere and try the binoculars. They need to feel comfortable in your hands and be easily adjustable with focusing that you are comfortable with.

If you say where you are located, people will recommend (or otherwise)their local optics shop.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Try before you buy is definitely good advice. If you can, test binos on a dull and overcast day and observe objects that have a lot of contrasting detail. Most half decent binos present a good image on a bright sunny day.

And we have plenty of overcast days in the UK!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back