• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikons - where would they rank? (1 Viewer)

Nikon HGL 8X42. The best bins I have ever owned. Forget your Zeiss and Swarovski models and go for these on a well known auction site, and yes I have owned the latter two.

I'm not sure this answers the original question but the new Monarch HG is definitely a match for the Zeiss Conquest HD. Perhaps they'll release an alpha quality equivalent at some point...

The EDG II is Nikon's CURRENT alpha quality binocular. In many ways it's one of my favorite binoculars. Optically it's still among the best. Focus adjustment is
second to none.

Attachments

• DSC_0560.JPG
    DSC_0560.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 105
The EDG II is Nikon's CURRENT alpha quality binocular. .... Focus adjustment is second to none.

I have to agree I love the focus on the 8x42 EDG II. I even like it even on the Monarch 7 10x30. Unfortunately they point out that the focus on my Swarovski EL 10x32 SV is lacking and it keeps me from being 100% satisfied with them.

Although the OP was poorly worded and scoped, if I had to choose a binocular sight unseen, never tested, I would go with a Nikon. I've been more consistently impressed by Nikon than any other manufacturer when using models across their entire price range. I would also buy any Canon L series sight unseen.

Last edited:
The EDG II is Nikon's CURRENT alpha quality binocular. In many ways it's one of my favorite binoculars. Optically it's still among the best. Focus adjustment is
second to none.

Yes, I did mean a replacement for the EDG II as it's been around for quite a while and doesn't seem to get the same attention as the 'top three' brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back