• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FUJINON 7x28M Military Pocketsize Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bencw

My 8x25 Swarovski CL pocket is the best compact I have had, I would say the best you can get, but I noticed these fuji's are being sold, I think army surplus, by a couple europe based companies. I would guess they would be pretty good for around the 277 euro price quoted, but wondered if anyone has used one and has an opinion ?

Have not used them, but note that they are IF binoculars and that the optical performance is unimpressive according to the specs posted by Allbino here:
http://www.allbinos.com/index.html?lornetka=all&producent=17&lornetka=610&powiekszenie=0&srednica=0

My guess is that you are well off with the Swaros. Leica also offers something in that size class, but I've no experience with the latest versions. My older Leica 8x20 is a good glass for emergencies, but not a comfortable performer for routine carry.

Ben,

I once considered those. However as mentioned, they are individual focus and as far as I was ever able to determine, they are not phase coated.

Hi Steve, etudient,

Thanks for that info, being IF is not a big issue for me in a compact, but not being phase coated at that price suggests performance likely is poor, phase coating makes a big difference.

Ben,

I once considered those. However as mentioned, they are individual focus and as far as I was ever able to determine, they are not phase coated.

Hello,

I was so informed, as well.

The overriding criterion for the military seemed to have been shock resistance and fitting into the pocket of battledress.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Thanks for the link, the company selling them sell ones without the reticle and filter, or with, you choose, but I have heard enough here to put me off, they do not sound particularly good, that surprises me a little for a Fuji, accepted by the Military. Seems standards are slipping in every organisation these days in order to save money,

old post. Fresh eyes……..

I just received a pair of these from Amazon.com (US site) for $115.

With left eye reticle and no laser filter (so no tint). Extremely solid build and high quality coated lens. I own a number of Fujinon X series prime lenses and this coating looks exactly the same - that is a good thing as those photo lenses compare well to Leica.

I don’t know about phase coating but unless anyone can positively count it out I wouldn't be put off.

Standard setting IF minimum focus to about 30ft. lovely diopter adjustment can bring that down to 20ft - I mean easy to change with clear markings and a firm but smooth mechanism.

At first the reticle is off putting after a few minutes my brain blanks it out. image.jpg

My other binoculars are Leica HD 7x42. I am comparing them side by side in good flat light in the middle of the day

• 7x same comfortable shake free magnification
  • Leica brighter and a hair sharper - but the Fuji’s are not in any way dark or obviously soft - I am just comparing them to the 7x reference glass
  • Leica noticeably wider FOV

I bought these as a “throw in my pocket pair” - the best binocular is the one you have with you! Use when biking, skiing, golfing.

They are a no brainer at this price.

I have the Maven 7x28 and it is probably superior to the military bins. ED glass, very clear, no reticle. They are the ones I carry with me on walks. I suspect they are designed to be purchased by soldiers who prefer gear that is not from the lowest bidder.

old post. Fresh eyes……..

I just received a pair of these from Amazon.com (US site) for $115.

With left eye reticle and no laser filter (so no tint). Extremely solid build and high quality coated lens. I own a number of Fujinon X series prime lenses and this coating looks exactly the same - that is a good thing as those photo lenses compare well to Leica.

I don’t know about phase coating but unless anyone can positively count it out I wouldn't be put off.

Standard setting IF minimum focus to about 30ft. lovely diopter adjustment can bring that down to 20ft - I mean easy to change with clear markings and a firm but smooth mechanism.

At first the reticle is off putting after a few minutes my brain blanks it out. View attachment 1418234

My other binoculars are Leica HD 7x42. I am comparing them side by side in good flat light in the middle of the day

• 7x same comfortable shake free magnification
  • Leica brighter and a hair sharper - but the Fuji’s are not in any way dark or obviously soft - I am just comparing them to the 7x reference glass
  • Leica noticeably wider FOV

I bought these as a “throw in my pocket pair” - the best binocular is the one you have with you! Use when biking, skiing, golfing.

They are a no brainer at this price.
Nice Photo

Looks like a very good choice. Any pair that are high quality, with the 7x and small form factor are a joy.

Cycling to work along the Singapore river this morning I could stop and enjoy a Braminy Kite swooping along the river side and then back up high.

I have the Maven 7x28 and it is probably superior to the military bins. ED glass, very clear, no reticle. They are the ones I carry with me on walks. I suspect they are designed to be purchased by soldiers who prefer gear that is not from the lowest bidder.

I do not think these are military issue. They lack laser filters and the issued ones do not say with reticle
I do not think these are military issue. They lack laser filters and the issued ones do not say with reticle.
Hello,

I have seen these advertised on that electronic auction site, claiming that the laser filter had been removed. I would expect a reticle, aka graticule, on a military glass.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Look at the exit pupil through a polarizing filter in front of the eyepieces. If the exit pupil has one part shaded or opaque and the other half transparent, that roof binoculars have no phase correction. In roof binoculars with phase correction, through the polarization filter the exit pupil must be uniform on the whole surface. You can compare how it looks through a polarizing filter on Ultravid and then on Fujinon, to get a better idea of how this procedure works.

Last edited:
I have the civilian version of these. They have no laser filter but a reticle in the left barrel. They do the job but are not impressive in any way: the sweet spot is about 50% and the depth of field usually associated with 7x just isn't there. They were cheap (& are nasty) and are about to be binned or donated. No way comparabale to the excellent quality I am used to from Fujinon photographic gear.

These binos are "Military" because Fujinon says so. They are used in small quantities for certain purposes. For over 100 years the US Government has "endorsed" only 2 models ... The 7x50 and the 6x30. — BINOCULARS: Fallacy & Fact, pages 146-148

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back