• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying more my 804R Mark II Audubons (1 Viewer)

Ah yes, the excellent for me ergonomics and the "easy view" of the HR/5. Would love to find the first ED version, which i think was like the HR/5, but with ED glass...

Ed, any particular reason for USPS Priority vs. UPS?

James, thank you for the birthday wishes! Happy belated birthday to you. I'm just 5 years and 6 days younger than you. o:)

Howard

Not really, except that I like the fixed price option, they provide a sturdy box, delivery time is very good, it can be tracked, and I never had a problem. Other than that it's just superstition. ;)

If that's a hint, happy birthday to you too, more or less. :t:

Ah yes, the excellent for me ergonomics and the "easy view" of the HR/5. Would love to find the first ED version, which i think was like the HR/5, but with ED glass...

It actually was labeled an HR/5 but there were a few differences. The objectives are physically a bit longer due to an air-spaced design, the eyepieces are water protected with o-rings, close focus is nearer, and red markings are used to identify it. The net effect, visually, is to improve narrow-band color discrimination, most likely due to reduced axial CA. Many folks can't see the effect at first, either because they perceive categorically or are looking for something else, like lower color fringing. But once perceived the narrow-band effect is not easily forgotten. Birds look much more beautiful.

Ed

Not really, except that I like the fixed price option, they provide a sturdy box, delivery time is very good, it can be tracked, and I never had a problem. Other than that it's just superstition. ;)

If that's a hint, happy birthday to you too, more or less. :t:

Thanks, Ed. :) As for shipping, do you double box it? Do you ship the binocular in its hard case, then pack it well (bubble wrap, whatever) in a single sturdy box or double box?

Howard

Hi Howard,

The last shipment to Nick was in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, measuring 11x8.75x6. Postage was $9.80, but may have gone up recently. He sends back the same way.

Anyway, we put the binocular in a 1 qt. plastic food bag first, and then a layer of bubble wrap. That is put in the box with additional bubble all around and sealed with tape. Sometimes I'll add trivial insurance so the box looks a bit more important.

No, I don't send the hard/soft case.

PS. Use the Post Office or an official post office extension. Don't use rip-off drug store mailing services.

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks, Ed. I went to the "oh-fishal" U.S. Post Office this morning and got that same size box. I'll insure it, too, just for peace of mind. I'm planning to call Nicolas on Monday. The binoculars work fine for terrestrial use, but I wonder if he can tighten up the star images.

Howard

Thanks, Ed. I went to the "oh-fishal" U.S. Post Office this morning and got that same size box. I'll insure it, too, just for peace of mind. I'm planning to call Nicolas on Monday. The binoculars work fine for terrestrial use, but I wonder if he can tighten up the star images.

Howard

I'll be very interested to find out what happens. :t:

And delivery confirmation so you can see it was dropped off ...

Unless Nicolas requires USPS, I wonder if I'd be better off with UPS, which offers "solid" up-to-the-hour updates on line, including delivery information and who signed for it. While it'd seem extremely rare for anything bad to happen to a Priority shipment, I'd be more than upset if these unreplaceable binoculars got lost. Any thoughts?

UPS is much more trackable but even those services do loose packages (it's happened to me with FedEx ground ... off one truck and ... never made it onto the next).

That said I've never had a problem with priority mail and I've shipped quite a few bins that way now but usually with insurance and DC. They're prompt and well priced. The DC can help with the post office too when trying to run down an errant (but not lost) package.

For a "one off and you really can't replace this easily" bin I'd go UPS so long as Mr Crista accepts it (he has to be in ... and that' a pain).

One method beats all others: US Registered Mail. It's not inexpensive, but it is super safe. The box must be sealed with glued paper tape; no plastic transparent tape of any kind allowed. Insurance can be purchased, but it's really overkill, and don't use a priority mail box or label because the Post Office will charge extra for priority mail in addition to the registered mail cost. (A little known fact.) When given to the postal worker, each and every paper tape edge on the box is stamped — maybe 25-30 stampings in all. It's so fun to watch.

The box is taken to the final destination in a locked section of each vehicle and accounted for going in and going out. It must also be signed for. Barring war, natural disaster, or a major heist, I don't think one has ever been "lost" in the history of the postal service.

Depending upon the package weight, Registered Mail is sometimes less costly than any other method (surprise, surprise), so without a doubt, price it out. ;)

Ed

Kevin, what is DC? I don't think you mean direct current....

Well, I shipped them today Priority Mail (it's just more convenient for me) and probably overdid it on "safety." I insured it for $599 and paid an extra 70 cents for delivery confirmation (which requires a signature). Altogether it cost me $19.10, which is, I'm sure, more than UPS would charge. As Ed indicated, Nicolas told me he prefers the USPS as it is very convenient for him. So even if he's not home to sign for the package, it wouldn't be an issue for him to go to his P.O. to get it. As for tracking, from my present experience with a USPS shipment from Amazon, I'm guessing my package will reach Nicolas before I see anything on line, but I'll be watching. I also photographed the binocs, making sure I've captured the serial number, model number, and J number.

On the way back I stopped at the neighborhood lumber store and got a 6-foot 2x4 on which I'll mount a bluebird box. There was a family in the area that came around when I moved in here last August. Maybe I can get some more.

Howard

I lived in Seattle in the 70's, and never confused it with "D.C." Seattle was so much nicer!

Speaking of which, my comment about USPS not providing timely tracking may be incorrect IF the shipment is by Priority, at least. I also bought Delivery Confirmation (hey, D.C!) and the shipping information was posted on the USPS website within hours. I compare that with the Amazon shipment that provided little detail, and quite late, but was shipped "Package Services."

Talking with Nicolas I tried to explain that [bright] star images cannot be brought to a focus, and he didn't quite understand what I was talking about. I'm hoping, of course, that if there's something he can find to fix, he will. I explained it all in the letter I enclosed. I'm looking forward to seeing the results, and I will report my findings. I've only procrastinated for over a year on this....

I wish you well with your binoculars Howard. If it helps I get a satisfyingly crisp focus on stars in the middle of the field of view in my Swift Audubon 10x50 HR/5 binoculars which Nicolas Crista tuned up for me. The only binoculars I've used which give a better view of the heavens than my Swifts are the (much larger, heavier, more expensive and individual focus) Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50 and the (also much more expensive) Nikon 12x50SE. Even with access to these alternative fine binoculars I often grab the Swifts for their wide field of view, light weight and convenient handling.

Thanks for the good wishes. I had a delightful conversation this afternoon with Nicolas. He told me he received them two days ago, but wanted to wait for a clear night (tonight!) so he could see what I was talking about with regard to (bright) stars not coming to pinpoint focus. He said they should, and I agree. He told me the daytime views are indeed fine, and the binoculars are clean. He also told me that mine are of a batch that may have issues with unequal spacing between element groups of the left and right objectives, thus requiring he completely disassemble them. That may be good that he disassemble them, because I have been led to believe, from postings in this forum, that he will re-assemble them such that they will perform better, to design specs, than what I had before.

Howard

Nicholas has done outstanding work on several pairs of Swift binoculars for me. He even improved a couple I didn't think had problems. He collimated the Eaglet 7x36 I have, just because he thought he could get it better, even though the unit was in tolerances, there was some imbalace between the barrels. Boy, did that ever help.

Last edited:
Actually, Nicolas repairs all kinds of binoculars, not only Swifts. He recently tuned my 8x40 Linet Imperial Fieldmaster to absolute perfection. It has the same body style as the Type 2 Audubon and was made by Hiyoshi (same company) in the early 1980s. This beast has massive BaK4 prisms and a 12 degree (630') field of view (i.e., a 96 deg. apparent field). It weighs in at 39 oz. One in less pristine condition can be seen here on CN. Scroll down a few posts.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...654/page/13/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/5

It has been known for quite a long time that as the apparent field increases, so does the viewers sensation of being "in the scene," a system property known as "presence." This is one of the visual delights that has been sacrificed at the alter of roof prism design, where the apparent field rarely exceeds 60 deg. and is often less. Presence also improves with stereopsis, which we have in abundance with the Swift Audubons and 10x50 Kestrels, — all about 70 deg. AFOV.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back